I have a question for those of you smarter than me about the economy...

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Grampa Murked U, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,800
    Do you all think we are going to have a "lost decade" like Japan?

I ask for 2 reasons.

First, although I like to consider myself well informed on politics I'm in a bit over my head with economic indicators and such. College was many years ago and what I learned then was nothing more than basics.

Second is because I'm seriously concerned about my business. I had nearly 2 decades of great growth and a customer base that grew every year. Business was so good that I pulled all my advertising about 6 years ago. I'm in the upper end of the remodeling business and most of my clients are well off but now jobs are scarce and even the ones available will cut you off at the knees to save a buck. It didn't used to be that way. For every 4 jobs I bid I got 3 without haggling just off my reputation. Now I've entered advertising contracts again with not much noticeable difference.

I can probably manage one more winter like the last two I've had but beyond that I may be in real trouble. I don't know what to do. Clearly I have to weather the winter but I don't want to go down with a sinking ship. My skillset is very broad but limited to my field. I was offered a very tidy sum to sell my business about 5 years ago but with the market the way it is I'm sure that amount is worth half what it was.

Do those of you working in the economic side see a turn around anytime soon? What are the true indicators I should be watching? I don't want partisan bullshit, I need real ideas and thoughts.

Ps. I've downsized as much as possible already so cutting expenses isn't really an option.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,952
    My friends in the real estate business are gearing up for a good 2012/13 once Obama's one miserable historically bad term ends

3. Sundial

Sundial Class Warrior

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +106
    We're in a slow but gradually accelerating recovery. Short of a substantial tax increase or cut in government spending, you should expect the national economy to continue to improve.

4. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,978
    I have an MBA and graduated at the top of my class. However, I really don't have a clue about the economic future - mostly because it's now so global in nature. Just one little foreign country can send the markets into a tailspin. I won't waste your time with economic analyses and indicators. Personally, I think we're pretty much fucked for the foreseeable future. I hope I'm wrong...

You said you don't want partisan bullshit, and I understand. HOWEVER, partisan bullshit is hurting our economic recovery much more than it's helping. The biggest problem I see is that political horses are hooked up at both ends of the economic wagon.

Seriously, best wishes in your business. BTW, I certainly don't think I'm smarter than you about the economy.

NOTE: I think Sundial pretty well summed it up above - we're in a slow recovery.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  5. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,978
  6. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,978
  7. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,800
    Years ago I was a member of several groups. I quickly discovered it was nothing more than a marketing ploy for profit. I have however had great success with Angieslist. For all the money I pumped into other organizations I've spent next to nothing with AL and gotten back 10 fold because its consumer driven rather than contractor driven.

I recently did a job for the marketing director for Fox4 News and somehow ended up on a list. I get calls frequently now but money is to tight to persue the offers. Which sucks because the network offered to give me first page space on their website for just under 300 a month. But with current commitments its just too much of a risk.

8. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,978
    I understand. Wish I could be of more help. You sound pretty savvy about your business. Maybe you'll get some good advice from other posters. Maybe you'll wish to seek out a good consultant in the future - if you feel the need.

9. Euro

Euro Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    With the taxing and spending policies that US practises now, their will soon be a recession.

One big problem is that money dries out in high military spending, health-care reform.
    Taxing workers and small companies higher and higher, and then using the taxes from you for more government spending. Who earns on that? Big bankers, large companies that are to big to go bankrupt must be saved by taxing people higher and more government spending.

Newt Gingrich for instance are paid by Freddie mac to have a policy that benefits them. That means more taxing on people and government spending. To keep big companies and bankers satisified. Wars for instance are good business, Dick Cheney who was the director of Halliburton got large contracts in Iraq by starting the war. Other large companies also earns a lot of money on wars such as Wahington group gets large contracts builidng in iraq, they have connections with the politicians. All that by ripping of and increasing taxes on tax-payers. The money dries out since nothing is produced it just dissapers into big companies,bankers etc. A group with connection to politicians that are paid to run politics that benefits big banks like Gingrich or oil companies like Dick Cheney.
    All this makes people have larger and larger debts and they are not able to spende money on consuption they have to pay debts. That way companies goes bankrupt.
    Gingrich says he received Freddie Mac compensation - Yahoo! News

But it depends who you vote for, with Ron Paul as president their will be a change.

10. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,978