I have a question anyone ever had an IV?

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
Here's the deal I was in the hospital as most of you know from Wed. night till Friday night, when I was in the ER they put in an IV, no big deal it stayed in till I was discharged on Friday evening.

I went home and noticed this morning it is still kinda sore there, but at the site of insert from that point to about 6 inches up my arm, that vein feels really hard and at the end of the 6 inches it has a large knot, it doesn't hurt much just tender and it feels a little numb or tingly at times. It looks a little swollen too. I have had numerous IV's in my lifetime and have never run into this before. Anybody else ever have that happen? and if so what is it?

By the way I am going to see the nurse tomorrow, so I hopefully will know for sure then what is up.

My only other option is to go back down to the ER :eek2: why so they can throw me back in the hospital for 3 days give me no food and water and claim they may have to do surgery then change their minds and send me home, I don't think so!

Trinity said:
Here's the deal I was in the hospital as most of you know from Wed. night till Friday night, when I was in the ER they put in an IV, no big deal it stayed in till I was discharged on Friday evening.

I went home and noticed this morning it is still kinda sore there, but at the site of insert from that point to about 6 inches up my arm, that vein feels really hard and at the end of the 6 inches it has a large knot, it doesn't hurt much just tender and it feels a little numb or tingly at times. It looks a little swollen too. I have had numerous IV's in my lifetime and have never run into this before. Anybody else ever have that happen? and if so what is it?

By the way I am going to see the nurse tomorrow, so I hopefully will know for sure then what is up.

My only other option is to go back down to the ER :eek2: why so they can throw me back in the hospital for 3 days give me no food and water and claim they may have to do surgery then change their minds and send me home, I don't think so!

I'd just put some ice on it and wait til ya see the nurse---it could just be a valve in your vein that got irritated. Infections are prevelent these days tho so be sure to mention it!

dilloduck said:
I'd just put some ice on it and wait til ya see the nurse---it could just be a valve in your vein that got irritated. Infections are prevelent these days tho so be sure to mention it!

Well I would hope being that I am already on an antibiotic it would not be in infection.

Trinity said:

wife is an x emt....her advice...call your doctor and or go back to the er to have them look at it....could be anything from pooling blood in the underlying tissue to a clot....better to be safe than sorry

manu1959 said:
wife is an x emt....her advice...call your doctor and or go back to the er to have them look at it....could be anything from pooling blood in the underlying tissue to a clot....better to be safe than sorry

What I shouldn't wait till tomorrow? when I see the nurse?

Trinity said:
What I shouldn't wait till tomorrow? when I see the nurse?

as i said wife is an x emt and she asked me a ton of questions:

how big is the bump
how hard is the bump
what color is the bump
is the arm the same color above and below the bump
and on and on
she then said call you doctor and got to the er better safe than sorry

manu1959 said:
as i said wife is an x emt and she asked me a ton of questions:

how big is the bump
how hard is the bump
what color is the bump
is the arm the same color above and below the bump
and on and on
she then said call you doctor and got to the er better safe than sorry

The bump is not very big maybe twice the size of the vein itself best way I can explain it is if you look at my wrist you can see my vein it is maybe 1/16 you push on it it is very soft then you move to point of IV insert, the vein then looks to be about 1/8 and now when you push on it, it is very hard almost like it has a tube of hard plastic stuck in it, this goes about 6 inches up my arm the larger area or the bump is probably about 1/4 in size, the whole vein that is hard is tender to the touch.

the skin color is all the same there is no change there, no redness or bruising anywhere in that area, my arm is slightly swollen in that area.

Trinity said:
The bump is not very big maybe twice the size of the vein itself best way I can explain it is if you look at my wrist you can see my vein it is maybe 1/16 you push on it it is very soft then you move to point of IV insert, the vein then looks to be about 1/8 and now when you push on it, it is very hard almost like it has a tube of hard plastic stuck in it, this goes about 6 inches up my arm the larger area or the bump is probably about 1/4 in size, the whole vein that is hard is tender to the touch.

the skin color is all the same there is no change there, no redness or bruising anywhere in that area, my arm is slightly swollen in that area.

check your pm.....wife's advice still the same...call your doctor and better be safe than sorry

Joz said:
Could also be an inflamation of the vein.....called phla-by-tus. (I didn't look up the spelling) I agree with manu's wife...DON'T WAIT.

I think that's what it was called although I thought it started with a C.

I did run to the ER and saw the nurse who put the IV in, he looked at it and said it was from trauma to the vein, and for me to put heat on for 20 minutes and off 20 minutes, and keep it elevated and if it got painful then I needed to come back in.

Forum List

Back