I have a 6 year old computer that some tech geek says is too old

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
and offered me a deal on a new one.

I have a freaking Hitachi solid state TV set still going strong after 32 years.

And a microwave still going strong after 23 years.

Last edited:
My pc is about 6 years old too. I'm keeping it. Even if it breaks down, I'll have it fixed. But I am not getting a new pc. They changed stuff too much and I'm a crotchety old lady that doesn't like change. :tongue:

sucks for you. buy even the $500 PC from best buy with 4 GB of ram and a dual core chip and you will see what you are missing... also I hope you still aren't using a CRT monitor unless you want to be blind by 60

I am so behind the curve on tech it is pathetic.

Just got DSL.

IMO - high def TV is overratted. (doesnt come close to color TV in the 60s)

You know color when you see it.

Still not sure when I am seeing hi -def

Any computer that is more than two weeks old is obsolete. Take whatever he is willing to give you for your antique and buy the new one. As a matter of fact, to stay current with the quickly developing technology, buy a new computer every 6 months. It's the right thing to do.

I can't function anymore unless I have at least 8 processors and 12G of RAM. I crave computer power.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

You have to update yourself. These things you mention are so inexpensive right now.

I still have an Amana Radarange. You know it's good because it takes 2 people to pick it up!

ginspy - it is too old for Microsoft Windows.
Microsoft does not want you to keep your computer, they need you to buy another PC so they can keep selling copies to Dell, HP etc.

Ask some geek people you know about Linux. Most of them will be glad to load it onto your 6 year old computer...and after installing it - it will be faster and safer than you old computer was - the day you bought it.
Microsoft Windows is designed so that you need to replace it, and replace your computer.
Linux is designed to run with minimal hardware.

Think of it like this...Windows is like an incandescent lightbulb that by it's nature declines with age, and will always, always need replaced.
Linux is like a halogen lightbulb. Does not decline with age as much, and lasts many times longer.

(Except of course Linux is free)

Dude, that old ass microwave is seeping radiation throughout your house and melting your brain.

Get a new fucking microwave for like $100 for crying out loud.

Microsoft does not want you to keep your computer, they need you to buy another PC so they can keep selling copies to Dell, HP etc.

Ask some geek people you know about Linux. Most of them will be glad to load it onto your 6 year old computer...and after installing it - it will be faster and safer than you old computer was - the day you bought it.
Microsoft Windows is designed so that you need to replace it, and replace your computer.

Think of it like this...Windows is like an incandescent lightbulb that by it's nature declines with age, and will always, always need replaced.
Linux is like a halogen lightbulb. Does not decline with age as much, and lasts many times longer.

Planned obsolecense.

They probably have board-meetings about it.

Not that familiar with linux or cloud-internet.

Planned obsolecense.

They probably have board-meetings about it.

Not that familiar with linux or cloud-internet.

Linux Mint or Ubuntu are the largest Linux distros geared towards the average user. They're "light weight", fast and more secure than Windows. There are drawbacks, the primary being if you're a PC gamer (not online gamer), the benefit is everything you need is free, much of it comes bundled with the install. With the latest Ubuntu 10.10 you have access to restricted codecs in one download location to play proprietary video/audio on you system.

http://www.linuxmint.com/

http://www.ubuntu.com/

You can download and burn a CD or have them send you one if you want.

Last edited:
One other thing, you can run the operating system to try it out without having to dual boot or replace your current OS.

Just went computer shopping with my brother last week to upgrade his archaic monstrosity he's been using. He also just switched to dsl and will hopefully be up and running by Wednesday.

As easy as it is now to build your own desktop computer, I have no idea why anyone would would buy retail anymore considering you can build a $1500 box for the price of Wal-Mart E-Machine. Oh, and the one you build is fully upgradeable unlike the E-Machine which means you can make it last 3 to 4 times longer with minimal cost than the E-machine.
(P.S. My use of the E-Machine brand refers to any low cost system sold to unsuspecting buyers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back