I hate microsoft with a purple passion and a white hot heat.

Sep 12, 2008
I just finished a project and the system decides on its own to do an update and reset itself.

I had another finshed project on the same machine.

Now both are gone.

ON the mac, the machine asks permission, and when I am busy I tell it to pound sand, and it waits till I am done.

If the Iranians decide to nuke Redmond, I will cheer.

I just finished a project and the system decides on its own to do an update and reset itself.

I had another finshed project on the same machine.

Now both are gone.

ON the mac, the machine asks permission, and when I am busy I tell it to pound sand, and it waits till I am done.

If the Iranians decide to nuke Redmond, I will cheer.
Go to personal settings and change the update protocols.

Hmm.

Win 7 asks me permission every time, so I can delay it if I am in the middle of something.

It is supposed to.

I have one of the projects due today. I have spent the whole morning steaming instead. I am a very unhappy camper.

It is a setting that you determine at installation. The default is to have it update automatically (recommended), but you have to accept that setting in order for it to go into effect.

You should be screaming at the dumbass who set it up, not Microsoft, because your other options are "don't update" or "ask me," and the setting could have been, and still can be changed anytime you are logged in as an administrator.

Some people are too stupid to have any computer, Mac or PC. These folks should be allowed to purchase a rock and chisel, and the chisel needs to be hardened steel.

Yeah, that's messed up. Sorry you're having to deal with this. Mine updates automatically, but it won't restart the system without showing me a little box in the bottom right so I can interrupt it.

Have you looked for auto-saved copies of the work?

I learned a long time ago to click SAVE about every 5 minutes, regardless of any 'settings'.

I pushed the damn save button every five minutes.

When it smashed down those files seem to have been wiped.

one of which was my SQL assignment file.

And when it came back, the back up files were from five days ago.

GRRR

It seems to taken itself back to a safe point last thursday.

Last edited:
I pushed the damn save button every five minutes.

When it smashed down those files seem to have been wiped.

one of which was my SQL assignment file.

And when it came back, the back up files were from five days ago.

GRRR

It seems to taken itself back to a safe point last thursday.

5 days ago?????????
I would be mad at the IT staff for setting up a truly lousy back up system. They should be fired.
5 days....that is unforgivable.

Forum List

Back