I hate living in an apartment!

brewerboy

May 24, 2009
Central Illinois
My girl baby and I are all crammed in a one bedroom apartment though we've been looking for other apartments or houses for rent in the past few weeks.

Though we'd like to upgrade to a 2 bedroom obviously, its not excatly the space that bothers us. Its the stupid fucking annoying neighbors.

Heres a doozy story from the other night:

Around 8:30 Tuesday night, I was in the rocking chair feeding the little one and he was about asleep. Out of nowhere theres a loud BOOM! that seems like it came from right outside our door. I handed the baby off to mommy, and ran outside to see what was up. A guy in the other set of apartments next to us came out at the same time also. There was smoke in the bushes and of course, it smelt like fireworks.

Being down the street from the Police Station, the cops arrived very quickly. They looked around and were about ready to leave when another one went off, it sounded like it was a block away this time. So they got in their cars and went looking for this dude.

15 minutes later, BOOM! right out in our street again. Now I'm pissed. My child has been woken up twice now. So I go outside again, and theres flaming debris in the street. The youngest cop on the force, who I went to school with shows up, and we bullshit for a few minutes. While we were talkng, another guy from the end apartments comes out and says he thinks its the asshole in the middle top apartments throwing em out his window. Nothing really came of it though. So the cop left and I went back inside....then I slipped outside real quiet like and chilled on the other side of the garage where no one could see me. Not 5 minutes later, there it is! The asshole in the top middle apartment is hanging out his window lighting a homemade concussion bomb.

So ol BB here called the cops and informed them. While I hate to be "that guy" you gotta take into consideration that theres only 2 apartments here out of 12 that dont have little kids in them. The asshole lighting them being one, of course.

This just isnt one of those apartment complexes that you can do that stupid shit in. Theres families here. Young families!

The cops came, again,and I told em what I saw. The asshole had left in his jeep, so the cops didnt do anything about it that night. But according to the local newspaper yesterday, he was arrested the next day on Disorderly Conduct charges and the landlord came to tell him that he's got til the end of the month to get his shit and get out (she doesnt take any shit):lol:

We went and looked a 2 bedroom house yesterday had a nice little chat with the landlord, who as chance would have it, I know through family. 20 people had looked at it by the time we got there, and as we left, guess who shows up?? The asshole!!

Good news is, we think we've got the house. The guy called us this afternoon and asked a few more questions, and told us out of everyone that looked at it, hes considering us and another family. He also said that he wasnt sure about the other families dogs.

So hopefully Monday I'll be putting the deposit down a house!

I'm sure tired of apartments.

Good for you on both counts (and good for the landlord).

But if you want to reduce that cramped feeling you get from living in an apartment while you're waiting for the house, read "Stand on Zanzibar" by John Brunner. But if I were you, I'd read it outside :D

so you think when you live in a house..you dont have asshole neighbors? wrong....so so wrong...but you are right about at least they are not right on top of ya...hell i have trouble with people who live a good ways away much less right on top of me....never rent the bottom unit either...always go for the top unit...sure you may have to walk more but you will sleep much better...

so you think when you live in a house..you dont have asshole neighbors? wrong....so so wrong...but you are right about at least they are not right on top of ya...hell i have trouble with people who live a good ways away much less right on top of me....never rent the bottom unit either...always go for the top unit...sure you may have to walk more but you will sleep much better...

Yup... you wont' hear the foot steps and the kids playing. Been there done that living on the bottom.

I lived in an apartment for about 3 years before I got married. I loved being on my own but hated apartment living because of the neighbors. The girl upstairs was 4'11" and when she walked sounded like a herd of elephants. I wrote her a note and she softened her step. The guy downstairs dealt drugs and eventually got arrested and out of the apartment. That was scary. When I got married we bought a townhouse. I hated living in a town house, being 'attached' to the neighbors house. Too loud, too cramped, too nosy . . . . blech! SB is right though -- asshole neighbors exist regardless of what you live in. Single house doesn't guarantee anything but at least you're not physically attached to the neighbors house. That helps. Good luck!

Well BB, you definitely handled the situtation better than I would have.

I probably would have ended up in jail for battery.

SB is right though -- asshole neighbors exist regardless of what you live in. Single house doesn't guarantee anything but at least you're not physically attached to the neighbors house. That helps. Good luck!
The only neighbors I have within a 100 yard radius of my house are..... trees. They're very quiet except when the wind blows through them. They are quite pleasant neighbors, home to the squirrels and the birds, hunting grounds for the cats, and they never complain when I crank my monster sound system way, way up!

There are a couple of things you can be evicted for when living in an apartment including noise and non payment of rent.

Complain to the landlord if neighbors get too noisy. Don't try to handle it yourself.

We have a house in my hometown and an apartment close to where I work. I have boys living next door to my apartment who get loud from time to time. If it gets really bad, I call the landlord and they quiet down.

I don't complain a lot though and the boys always say hi when they see me. I really think people Just don't know how loud they can be.

Well BB, you definitely handled the situtation better than I would have.

I probably would have ended up in jail for battery.

Dont think it didnt run through my mind, espepcially after the second time my baby was woke up.

But alas, I'm on probation, so I have to be super good for awhile.

Didnt get the house.

The lady and I are kind of bummed.

Been on the internet half the day looking for other places.

One place has college students above the apartment, and the others rent is a friggin house payment.

Ugh. Happy Birthday to Me.....

SB is right though -- asshole neighbors exist regardless of what you live in. Single house doesn't guarantee anything but at least you're not physically attached to the neighbors house. That helps. Good luck!
The only neighbors I have within a 100 yard radius of my house are..... trees. They're very quiet except when the wind blows through them. They are quite pleasant neighbors, home to the squirrels and the birds, hunting grounds for the cats, and they never complain when I crank my monster sound system way, way up!

I live down a 3/4 mile long farm lane. We do have neighbors because we have two houses here on the farm. We rent the other house out to one of the wife's cousins. Fairly newly wed with an adorable baby. They are excellent neighbors. Now and then I watch the baby while "Mom" next door runs to the store for something. No big deal. I sit in the rocking recliner and rock and watch tv while holding the baby. Usually she goes right to sleep but if not, she's learning to like Fox News. The closest neighbor East of me is 1 mile. The closest neighbor West of me is almost 2 miles. Love it here. Quietest place I have ever lived except for the remodeling I'm currently having done to both houses. When you're able to do it, by all means get out of that apartment. I'd go nuts if I had to move back into an apartment. Makes me shake just thinking about it.

Trees are one of my most favoritest things. Ever.

Forum List

Back