I Guess Wisconsin Dems Don't Like Democracy

The Wisconsin quorum rule is a defacto supermajority rule. Kind of like the filibuster rule.

Are you saying the filibuster is anti-democracy??

Well, no. But I will say this, hiding in hotels in neighboring states to avoid doing your job is pretty fucking infantile. If your boss asked you to do something you didn't care to do, would you run off to CT and hide?

How'd I do?

No, you're finding what happens when the capitalist money interests get the upper hand and squeeze every nickel they can out of the middle and working classes.

We are a nation in decline. We're losing our middle class, and our working class's relative prosperity. This whole brouhaha is nothing more than a desperate fight over diminishing resources and opportunity.

A prosperous nation with a prosperous working/middle class, and with a bright future, doesn't throw tantrums just because its teachers and policemen and firefighters want to make a good living.

As long as they can keep us blaming each other, they can keep us from seeing who the real enemy is.

except you public sector people broke the state, took from other hardworking people to feather your nests. don't think that''s wrong??? then why are you so willing give it back? You knew it was wrong all along. Now all the states are broke and all you want to do is blame the other guy.. not working, not buying,,you limousine liberals sugar tit is drying up.

The states are 'broke' because we just had one of the worst recessions in history. That's all this is about. You get a huge tax revenue loss from increased unemployment, massive declines in the value of property, foreclosures, business cutback, of course you're going to have a cyclical problem.
You exacerbate that systemically by continuing to ship good paying jobs overseas. Every good paying job that disappears is one less job that generates tax revenue. Why do you think half of Americans pay no federal taxes, and for matter, little or no state taxes?

Because they don't earn that much money.

Blaming our teachers, police, firefighters, and the rest of those who work for us in the public sector is nothing more than a desperate attempt to scapegoat someone, anyone,

who can simplistically be blamed for all that is wrong with America, and, conveniently,

isn't YOU. Scapegoating is always about the other guy.

The states can only deal with public employees they pay. They are the ones raising hell. The expenditures they have agreed to are unrealistic and have to be shared until the economy improves. If it doesn't, I guess teachers and firefighters are going to have to, in the words of Obama, get some skin in the game, sacrifices must be made. Their problem is they don't want to. Their response has been FUCK YOU, PAY ME!!!

except you public sector people broke the state, took from other hardworking people to feather your nests. don't think that''s wrong??? then why are you so willing give it back? You knew it was wrong all along. Now all the states are broke and all you want to do is blame the other guy.. not working, not buying,,you limousine liberals sugar tit is drying up.

The states are 'broke' because we just had one of the worst recessions in history. That's all this is about. You get a huge tax revenue loss from increased unemployment, massive declines in the value of property, foreclosures, business cutback, of course you're going to have a cyclical problem.
You exacerbate that systemically by continuing to ship good paying jobs overseas. Every good paying job that disappears is one less job that generates tax revenue. Why do you think half of Americans pay no federal taxes, and for matter, little or no state taxes?

Blaming our teachers, police, firefighters, and the rest of those who work for us in the public sector is nothing more than a desperate attempt to scapegoat someone, anyone,

who can simplistically be blamed for all that is wrong with America, and, conveniently,

The states can only deal with public employees they pay. They are the ones raising hell. The expenditures they have agreed to are unrealistic and have to be shared until the economy improves. If it doesn't, I guess teachers and firefighters are going to have to, in the words of Obama, get some skin in the game, sacrifices must be made. Their problem is they don't want to. Their response has been FUCK YOU, PAY ME!!!

Since the Wisconsin workers already agreed to concessions, you don't know what you're talking about.

Excuse me very much. I'm listening to the politicians on all levels. They say public employee unions are breaking the bank, They can't pay them anymore. Are you listening? or desperately searching around to make it not true.. This isn't Utopia yet.. cold hard fact is this.. someone said it yesterday... "you can't tax a union member enough to pay his salary" know what that means?? means we the taxpayers have to bear the burden and it looks as if we are tired of it.

You just got another big tax cut. Your taxes are at 1950 levels.

If you have kids, you get $1000 per kid right off the top of your federal income tax bill. Most people with kids get that; that amount more than pays for most families' school tax bill.
The U.S. government is going deeper and deeper into debt to give you peoples' kids essentially a free education, and you're complaining about your taxes being too high.

AND you're complaining about the quality of education in America at the same time you want teachers to make less and less money until nobody with any sense is going to spend 4 to 6 years in college to become a teacher.

The Wisconsin quorum rule is a defacto supermajority rule. Kind of like the filibuster rule.

Are you saying the filibuster is anti-democracy??

Well, no. But I will say this, hiding in hotels in neighboring states to avoid doing your job is pretty fucking infantile. If your boss asked you to do something you didn't care to do, would you run off to CT and hide?

How'd I do?

The filibuster is a procedural rule that stops the majority from passing laws unless they have a supermajority.

The WI quorum is a procedural rule that stops the majority from passing laws unless they have a supermajority.

There is no difference. Both are stupid rules, but there they are.

Pic
I think you're confusing me with somebody else.

Following the rules is more honest and thus more admirable then breaking them.

Btw; it's gonna be difficuilt to convince the public that Democrats aren't attempting to shut down the fed gov in a couple of weeks when their brethren are doing it in two states and possibly more at this writing.

The public is wise to their games so a repeat of the 90s standoff that helped Clinton is very unlikely.

Tell that to the Founding Fathers.

Epic Fail

Taxation without representation, forced servitude to an abusive monarchy, and the attempt at removal of the right to bear arms led to the American Revolution, not free pensions and health care.

They are not free pensions first of all.

And to the rest of your point, you're saying that the Tea Party protests were also uncalled for?

X

Excuse me very much. I'm listening to the politicians on all levels. They say public employee unions are breaking the bank, They can't pay them anymore. Are you listening? or desperately searching around to make it not true.. This isn't Utopia yet.. cold hard fact is this.. someone said it yesterday... "you can't tax a union member enough to pay his salary" know what that means?? means we the taxpayers have to bear the burden and it looks as if we are tired of it.

Exactly. Governments don't produce wealth. They don't profit from the services they provide, thus they are simply a drain on all of us. This is why they shouldn't be able to dictate to the rest of us what pay and benefits they think they deserve.

Pic
Tell that to the Founding Fathers.

Epic Fail

Taxation without representation, forced servitude to an abusive monarchy, and the attempt at removal of the right to bear arms led to the American Revolution, not free pensions and health care.

And to the rest of your point, you're saying that the Tea Party protests were also uncalled for?

They're not free to the people of Wisconsin. You're right there. But their CBA states they don't have to contribute to their pension accounts.

Oh, and the Tea Party is against abusive and wasteful government, not in support of it like the unions are

Last edited:
Pic

Epic Fail

They're not free to the people of Wisconsin. You're right there. But their CBA states they don't have to contribute to their pension accounts.

Oh, and the Tea Party is against abusive and wasteful government, not in support of it like the unions are

It's semantic nonsense to say they don't pay for their pensions. They receive pensions as part of their compensation for the work they do.

The Dems are practicing Legislation by blackmail. The republicans were elected to do a job not to give in to blackmail. Hang tough.

While the Democrats are vacationing, I think the Republications should pass a NO UNION STATE BILL. Some Senators may be against it, but the majority will probably be for it. Without the Dems there, it would probably pass. It's not an appropriation bill, so it could probably be legal to bring up.

Teach them Dems.....

It's semantic nonsense to say they don't pay for their pensions. They receive pensions as part of their compensation for the work they do.

Horseshit. I work for the federal government. A third of my pay goes to my medical, dental, and retirement benefits. I don't get deals those folks get. FYI, teachers must join the union. The Wis Gov wants to give them a choice not to. That's what the major fear is. They each pay $1000 each in union dues they expect from every teacher. This is about to change. The union can't have that.

Forum List

Back