I gotta ask...

Richard-H

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2008
If everyone is so afraid of Iran shutting down the Strait of Hormez, why don't they just build a canal across Qatar and eliminate Iran's control entirely?

It looks like base of the peninsula is mountainous.

I am pretty sure if it were possible, someone would have done it by now

If they could build a canal across Panama using early 20th century technology, they could certainly build one across the U.A.E. (sorry not Qatar), using today's technology.

I think the real questions is whether it's cheaper for the Oil companies and Arab Oil elitists to build an canal or is it cheaper for them to have the U.S.A. go to war with Iran.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
If they could build a canal across Panama using early 20th century technology, they could certainly build one across the U.A.E. (sorry not Qatar), using today's technology.

I think the real questions is whether it's cheaper for the Oil companies and Arab Oil elitists to build an canal or is it cheaper for them to have the U.S.A. go to war with Iran.

The US military is big oils bodyguard and we pay the tab for this service.

As long as the US insists all payments for Oil are conducted in US Dollars, they get foreign goods in exchange for paper and ink (these days not even the cost of paper, digital entries)

As long as the US insists all payments for Oil are conducted in US Dollars, they get foreign goods in exchange for paper and ink (these days not even the cost of paper, digital entries)
The U.A.E. is not the most stable nation on earth. There are continual border disputes, and a less than free society, to put it mildly. Seven monarchies comprise the "nation". Foreign workers still become indentured servants in some areas. US work in the U.A.E. will create further tensions with Iran, and Qartar. The U.A.E. is by no means a US ally we can depend upon.

Neither, for that matter, is Panama.

I just don't believe we are in the mood for "big stick" diplomacy anymore.

Forum List

Back