I got into a verbal confrontation at costco

actsnoblemartin

I love Andrea & April
Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, CA
I told a lady speaking spanish to her kids, (in a polite way) that i was offended she was speaking a language other then english. she said sorry, and i said have a nice day.

But then this guy tells me, i dont have a right to say that.

Excuse me... im thinking, but that is a fascist statement. The constituion gaurantees me the right to free speech. And merely expressing an opinion in a polite way is not a crime. BUT no he verbally attacked my iq, and i flipped him off, and said, come say it to my face faggot. Sorry, I was mad, and used the word as a taunt, but would never say it to an actual gay person.

needless to say, he backed down, and then talked shit behind me back.

What is wrong with americans, do they not realize, every other ethnic group gave up their language to assimilate?. Russians, germans, europeans, and many many others, but what hispanics are special, and can spit on our country. He tried to tell me i dont make the law, well duh.

what kind of country do we live in, when stupidity rules?

One guy told me, well mexico, speaks english also. Mexico is a piece of human fieces compared to us, they have some nice parts, but their government is corrupt.

So, did i do the right thing by having the balls to say something, and take shit for it, or should i have swallowed my pride.

I told a lady speaking spanish to her kids, (in a polite way) that i was offended she was speaking a language other then english. she said sorry, and i said have a nice day.

Excuse me... im thinking, but that is a fascist statement. The constituion gaurantees me the right to free speech. And merely expressing an opinion in a polite way is not a crime. BUT no he verbally attacked my iq, and i flipped him off, and said, come say it to my face faggot. Sorry, I was mad, and used the word as a taunt, but would never say it to an actual gay person.

What is wrong with americans, do they not realize, every other ethnic group gave up their language to assimilate?. Russians, germans, europeans, and many many others, but what hispanics are special, and can spit on our country. He tried to tell me i dont make the law, well duh.

One guy told me, well mexico, speaks english also. Mexico is a piece of human fieces compared to us, they have some nice parts, but their government is corrupt.

So, did i do the right thing by having the balls to say something, and take shit for it, or should i have swallowed my pride.

No, it was a rude thing to say. She also has the right to speak in whatever language she wants. Other groups also speak the language of their home country when they move here. Go to NYC sometime. You will hear Russian, Arabic, Polish, German, French, Spanish, English, Hindi, whatever language you can think of. That doesn't mean they aren't assimilated, it means that they are retaining some of their home culture.

Besides the fact that if my parents knew two languages and didn't teach me one, I would be fucking pissed. Knowing another language increases your verbal skills, increases job prospects, and gives you the ability to learn another culture intimiately.

No, it was a rude thing to say. She also has the right to speak in whatever language she wants. Other groups also speak the language of their home country when they move here. Go to NYC sometime. You will hear Russian, Arabic, Polish, German, French, Spanish, English, Hindi, whatever language you can think of. That doesn't mean they aren't assimilated, it means that they are retaining some of their home culture.

Besides the fact that if my parents knew two languages and didn't teach me one, I would be fucking pissed. Knowing another language increases your verbal skills, increases job prospects, and gives you the ability to learn another culture intimiately.

Thank you for the feedback sir.

You are describing an idealized generalization that does not nor has not really existed.

Most immigrants when they come to America do not speak English amongst themselves. They never have. Whole generations would come to America and never learn to speak English. Their kids would, but they wouldn't.

Thus, chastising that couple is not only impolite, it isn't consistent with this country's history.

And as for saying Mexico is a piece of sh!t, you are reinforcing the image of the ignorant American that is widespread around the world.

That's what I like about living in Columbus. Just about anywhere you go, you can hear a multitude of different languages spoken. It's a reminder that there are more voices to be heard than just ours. I've never been to New York, but my wife lived there for twenty years, and that was part of what she loved about it was it's richness and diversity.

That's what I like about living in Columbus. Just about anywhere you go, you can hear a multitude of different languages spoken. It's a reminder that there are more voices to be heard than just ours. I've never been to New York, but my wife lived there for twenty years, and that was part of what she loved about it was it's richness and diversity.

Criminy, I go visit my Lebanese friends and I hear Arabic, French, and English all in the span of just a few minutes! Talk about diversity, LOL.

They have the right to speak to each other in what ever language they wish. Where it pisses me off, when they expect to get special treatment for being Spanish speaking. I don't agree with teaching in Spanish at our schools. I don't agree with having government services offered in anything other than English.

saying anything to the woman speaking to her children was profoundly rude.

period.

How did YOU know that she wasn't a foreign visitor?

If you were in Spain with your family and you spoke english with them in a crowded store, what would you think if some Spaniard came up to you and told you he was offended by YOUR language?

If I had witnessed anyone telling an hispanic woman that they were offended by her language, I would have stepped up just like the guy did to you.

Of course you have a "right" to say something to her....just like he had a "right" to say something to you.

The difference between the two is that your exercising your "right" was rude and insensitive and completely out of place...and his exercising his "right" to verbally chastise you for your impolite behavior was chivalrous.

Personally, I think everyone should just butt out of everyone elses business, for the most part..

Her speaking Spanish to her children has no impact on you whatsoever. Her speaking Spanish to YOU is entirely a different story - you then have the right to ask her to speak English.

Personally, I think everyone should just butt out of everyone elses business, for the most part..

Her speaking Spanish to her children has no impact on you whatsoever. Her speaking Spanish to YOU is entirely a different story - you then have the right to ask her to speak English.

again...what if she was a foreign tourist or visitor? As Angel Heart said, does having the right to say something make it right to say it?

I could walk up to an overweight woman at the grocery store and tell her that her obesity and her terrible complexion offended me.

Do I have that right? Of course.

IS it right? Of course not.

again...what if she was a foreign tourist or visitor? As Angel Heart said, does having the right to say something make it right to say it?

I could walk up to an overweight woman at the grocery store and tell her that her obesity and her terrible complexion offended me.

Do I have that right? Of course.

IS it right? Of course not.

What difference does any of that make? Did I not clearly state that her speaking Spanish to her kids has NO impact on him whatsoever?

Who gives a flying rip if she's a tourist, or a visitor? If she speaks Spanish to me, I'm going to tell her to speak English. Why? Because I don't speak Spanish. If she doesn't speak English, I can't help her. And the Spanish I *do* understand isn't exactly "polite discussion". :D

What difference does any of that make? Did I not clearly state that her speaking Spanish to her kids has NO impact on him whatsoever?

Who gives a flying rip if she's a tourist, or a visitor? If she speaks Spanish to me, I'm going to tell her to speak English. Why? Because I don't speak Spanish. If she doesn't speak English, I can't help her. And the Spanish I *do* understand isn't exactly "polite discussion". :D

I guess the difference is that, if it were me, I would not "tell" her to speak english, I would ask her is she could speak english and, if not, I would politely tell her "no abla espagnol".

When I have been overseas, and I have tried to communicate with people in countries where I did not speak the language, I personally always ask them first - in their native language if possible if they speak english.

I guess the difference is that, if it were me, I would not "tell" her to speak english, I would ask her is she could speak english and, if not, I would politely tell her "no abla espagnol".

When I have been overseas, and I have tried to communicate with people in countries where I did not speak the language, I personally always ask them first - in their native language if possible if they speak english.

Well, I guess we can add "Intolerant Bitch" to my list of taglines, right under "Elitist Snob".

Well, I guess we can add "Intolerant Bitch" to my list of taglines, right under "Elitist Snob".

I was going to mention that your tagline highlighted another of the differences between us...I am grateful you preempted me!
:eusa_dance:

Quite rude and condescending.

1. You approached someone an voiced your criticism unasked. That's rude.
2. You did so in front of her kids. You never, EVER disrespect someone in front of their kids like that without proper cause (impending danger and the like).

Be very glad you did not do so around me.

Quite rude and condescending.

1. You approached someone an voiced your criticism unasked. That's rude.
2. You did so in front of her kids. You never, EVER disrespect someone in front of their kids like that without proper cause (impending danger and the like).

Be very glad you did not do so around me.

ITA and thanks for bringing up point 2. We are to support the parents not cut them down in front of their children. Even if we don't agree with them. I would never confront a friend in front of their children.

Forum List

Back