I get asked this question a lot...

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
on this board: "Why won't muslim Clerics and Muslim leaders condemn terrorism?!!!"

I thought it was an approprate time to answer those queries:

Almost all the major Shiite Grand Ayatollahs have condemned Bin Laden and al-Qaeda

http://www.juancole.com/2005/07/friedman-wrong-about-muslims-again-and.html

An informed person (aka, Liberal) might say "Well, this it to be expected. The Shia are traditional enemies of the sunni wahabists. What do Sunni leaders say about al qaeda?":

The leading moral authority for Sunnis is the rector or Grand Imam of the al-Azhar Seminary/ University in Cairo, Egypt. Al-Azhar is perhaps the world's oldest continuous university and has been since the time of Saladin a major center of Sunni religious authority. The current incumbent is Shaikh Muhammad Sayyid Tantawi. So what about Tantawi and Bin Laden?

Grand Imam of Al-Azhar seminary, Shaikh Muhammad Sayyid Tantawi, condemns Osamah Bin Laden.

http://www.usembassyjakarta.org/lawmaker.html

What about Pakistan? Admittedly, it has some clerics who are fans of Bin Laden, or at least who would avoid condemning him. But ...
Try this: Prominent Pakistani Cleric Tahir ul Qadri condemns Bin Laden.

http://www.islamfortoday.com/qaradawi02.htm\
http://www.int-review.org/terr42a.html

European Muslims?

Spanish Muslim Clerical authorities Issue Fatwa against Osamah Bin Laden.

http://www.int-review.org/terr42a.html

High Mufti of Russian Muslims calls for Extradition of Bin Laden.

http://english.pravda.ru/world/2001/09/20/15781.html

Surely, Hezbollah has been cheering on Bin Laden and Al Qaeda, right?:....

Nope:

After the September 11, 2001 attacks, Hezbollah condemned Al Qaeda for targeting the civilian World Trade Center, but remained silent on the attack on the The Pentagon, neither favoring nor opposing the act. Hezbollah also denounced the Armed Islamic Group massacres in Algeria, Al-Gama’a al-Islamiyya attacks on tourists in Egypt,and the murder of Nick Berg. Nasrallah (Leader of Hezbollah), in a 2006 interview with the Washington Post, condemned violence against American civilians: “f there are American tourists, or intellectuals, doctors, or professors who have nothing to do with this war, they are innocent, even though they are Americans, and it is forbidden."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hezbollah#Stance_on_what_is_a_legitimate_military_target

North American, Canadian, and UK Muslim Leaders, and other Muslim leaders?

Links:
-American Muslim Leaders Condemn Attacks
-American Muslims Denouncing Terrorism
-American Muslims and Scholars Denounce Terrorism on Anniversary of 9/11
-Australian Muslims Condemn Terrorist Attack
-Bin Laden Distorts Islam, Islamic Scholars Say
-Bin Laden's Idea of 'Jihad' is Out of Bounds, Islamic Scholars Say
-British Muslim leaders condemn terrorism
-British Muslims Condemn Terrorist Attacks
-Canadian Muslims Condemn Terorist Attacks
-Islamic Statements Against Terrorism in the Wake of the September 11 Mass Murders
-Islamic World Deplores U.S. Losses
-Muslim Voices Against Extremism & Terrorism - Part II - Statements by Organizations
-Muslim World Condemns Attacks on U.S.
-Muslim rulers condemn WTC attacks
-New Zealand Muslims Condemn Terrorism
-Organization of the Islamic Conference Foreign Ministers Condemn International Terrorism
-Quran a Book of Peace Not War, Islamic Scholars Say
-Scholars of Islam Condemn Terrorism
-U.S. Muslim Scholars Condemn Attacks
-UK Muslim Leaders Condemn 'Lunatic Fringe'
-Canadian Muslim scholars reject Bin Laden's calls for jihad - Monday, October 15, 2001
-Canadian Muslims Condemn Recent Khadr Comments That Excuse Terrorism - Friday, March 05, 2004
-Canadian Muslims condemn 9/11 terrorist attacks - Tuesday, September 11, 2001
-Canadian Muslims condemn anti-Jewish article - Monday, January 12, 2004
-Canadian Muslims condemn church attack in Pakistan - Sunday, March 17, 2002
-Canadian Muslims condemn vandalism of synagogues - Friday, April 12, 2002
-Muslims Condemn Philippines Airport Bombing - Tuesday, March 04 2003
-Muslims Offer Help for Victims of Terrorist Attacks - 9/11/01
-Muslims condemn anti-Jewish article - Wednesday, January 07, 2004
-Muslims condemn anti-Semitic article - 11/8/2002
-Muslims to hold 9/11 vigil at U.S. Capitol - Thursday, August 28, 2003
-Muslims urged to donate for D.C. sniper victims - Wednesday, October 16, 2002
-U.S. Imams Say Iraq Hostage-Takers Violate Islamic Beliefs - Friday, October 29, 2004

http://www.muhajabah.com/otherscondemn.php

The evil "CAIR" muslim organization, that Fox News blathers on about?

Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), America's leading muslim organization:

-American Muslims Condemn Riyadh Bombings - May 23, 2003
-CAIR Calls for Release of All Hostages in Iraq - Tuesday, September 21, 2004
-CAIR Condemns 'Barbaric' London Terror Attacks - Thursday, July 07, 2005
-CAIR Condemns Attack On Seattle Jewish Center - Saturday, July 29, 2006
-CAIR Condemns Attack On U.S. Medical Personnel In Yemen - December 30, 2002
-CAIR Condemns Attack on US Diplomatic Convoy in Gaza - October 15, 2003
-CAIR Condemns Haifa Suicide Bombing - 10/04/2003
-CAIR Condemns Hariri Assassination - Monday, February 14, 2005
-CAIR Condemns Iraq Church Bombings - Sunday, August 01, 2004
-CAIR Condemns Killing of British Hostage in Iraq - Friday, October 08, 2004
-CAIR Condemns Murder of American in Saudi Arabia - Friday, June 18, 2004
-CAIR Condemns Murder of Margaret Hassan - Wednesday, November 17, 2004
-CAIR Condemns School Killings in Russia - Tuesday, September 07, 2004
-CAIR Joins 'Call to Action' on Darfur Crisis - Tuesday, August 03, 2004
-CAIR condemns Istanbul bombings - Thursday, November 20, 2003
-CAIR condemns attacks on civilians - Thursday, March 28, 2002
-CAIR condemns hostage-taking by Iraqi insurgents, calls for release of hostages - 4/9/2004
-CAIR condemns killings in Iraq, Pakistan - Tuesday, March 02, 2004
-CAIR condemns murder of American in Iraq - 5/11/2004
-CAIR condemns mutilation of bodies in Iraq - Wednesday, March 31, 2004
-CAIR statements on the events of September 11 - (various dates)
-CAIR welcomes capture of Saddam Hussein - Sunday, December 14, 2003
-CAIR-CAN Condemns Anti-Semitic Graffiti - August 25, 2004
-CAIR-CAN Condemns Vandalism of Jewish Homes in Toronto - Friday, March 19, 2004
-CAIR-CAN condemns Daniel Pearl killing - Friday, February 22, 2002
-CAIR-CAN condemns bomb attack on Passover celebration in Israel - Thursday, March 28, 2002
-CAIR-CAN condemns firebomb attack of Jewish school - Tuesday, April 06, 2004
-CAIR-CAN condemns gang-rape of woman in Pakistan by tribal court - Friday, July 05, 2002
-CAIR-CAN condemns hate graffiti on Edmonton synagogue - Wednesday, December 28, 2005
-CAIR-CAN condemns killing of innocent Christian worshippers in Pakistan - Tuesday, October 30, 2001
-CAIR-CAN: There is no justification for attacks on innocent people - Thursday, November 14, 2002
-CAIR-NJ Offers Condolences to Coptic Community - Monday, January 17, 2005
-CAIR: American Muslims Condemn Sectarian Mosque Bombing - 07/05/2003

links at
http://www.muhajabah.com/otherscondemn.php

Okay, you've answered that question, now another one.

Do you believe they are sincere? Or are these "condemnations" merely lip service?

Do you believe they are sincere? Or are these "condemnations" merely lip service?

Do you believe that Churches are sincere when they condemn abortion clinic bombings and harassment? Or are these "condemnations" merely lip service?

Originally Posted by mattskramer
Do you believe that Churches are sincere when they condemn abortion clinic bombings and harassment? Or are these "condemnations" merely lip service?

Lip service. I think that they quietly cheer clinic bombings.

For real? Wow. I don't. I think the overwhelming, vast majority of christian leaders who condemn abortion clinic bombings are being honest. I'm quite sure the vast majority of christians oppose murder and terrorism.

I don't think the vast majority of muslim clerics or leaders believe in murder or terrorism either. I think the statements they gave, were overwhelmingly accurate reflections of thier feelings and views.

For real? Wow. I don't. I think the overwhelming, vast majority of christian leaders who condemn abortion clinic bombings are being honest. I'm quite sure the vast majority of christians oppose murder and terrorism.

I don't think the vast majority of muslim clerics or leaders believe in murder or terrorism either. I think the statements they gave, were overwhelmingly accurate reflections of thier feelings and views.

I was surprised by the reply too. I guess that he is a skeptic. I understand that each person in a group might have different sentiments but I think that Muslim groups, as a whole, oppose terrorism. I also think that Christian groups, as a whole, oppose terrorism too.

I guess I'm just more cynical when it comes to religion. I am of the opinion that for many of them, the ends justifies the means. Regardless of who they worship. I realize that this makes me something of an outcast in most conservative circles, but I can live with that.

For the record, I also believe that drugs should be legal, all of them.

Ofcourse they do not approve of terrorism. No moderate muslim does. That does not stop it from happening though. Cleric leaders and muslim leaders do nothing its almost a shock to call them leaders. There are no leaders in the muslim religion, just scared, devoted and submissive followers. Besides, they dont really have to oppose bombings in the name of religion because its not exactly their religion that is being exploited. Islam as a whole is one religion but there are many different versions of it divided by ethnic groups who believe different parts of the quran and who interpret it differently from moderates.

Yes terrorists give islam a bad name, but the religious leaders wont speak up because extremism is not real islam, its extremism. Same goes for christianity. People take the old testeman seriously and decide to bomb abortion clinics, or hate blacks and gays, but thats not the way christianity was suppose to be interpreted, especially after the new testamen. Its not real christianity, just like extremists are not real islamic followers. They claim to be, but they really need to take another look at the quran, and try to come up with a better interpretation than the one they use. Or just not read it at all.

Ofcourse they do not approve of terrorism. No moderate muslim does. That does not stop it from happening though. Cleric leaders and muslim leaders do nothing its almost a shock to call them leaders. There are no leaders in the muslim religion, just scared, devoted and submissive followers. Besides, they dont really have to oppose bombings in the name of religion because its not exactly their religion that is being exploited. Islam as a whole is one religion but there are many different versions of it divided by ethnic groups who believe different parts of the quran and who interpret it differently from moderates.

Yes terrorists give islam a bad name, but the religious leaders wont speak up because extremism is not real islam, its extremism. Same goes for christianity. People take the old testeman seriously and decide to bomb abortion clinics, or hate blacks and gays, but thats not the way christianity was suppose to be interpreted, especially after the new testamen. Its not real christianity, just like extremists are not real islamic followers. They claim to be, but they really need to take another look at the quran, and try to come up with a better interpretation than the one they use. Or just not read it at all.

What are you stupid? The opening post gives you a list of religious leaders who have condemned terrorism, and like a retarded automaton you completely ignore it and mouth your lines.

What are you stupid? The opening post gives you a list of religious leaders who have condemned terrorism, and like a retarded automaton you completely ignore it and mouth your lines.

What have they done? Arent leaders suppose to LEAD? A leader is not an intellectual islamic group who dissagrees with Bin laden. Sorry. Just because these people dont like whats going on, does not mean they are doing anything.

Besides, I can double that list with religious and political leaders who SUPPORT terrorist activities, Montana Jack.

You can not sit there and act like muslims are doing ANYTHING to slow down extremists from teaching children about jihad and zionism. It goes unpunished. Extreme preaching goes un-touched. Military weapons are bought on the black market, what do religious leaders think should be done about that? Do they have any ideas? Trust me, they CAN do something especially in terms of proper secularized education, but they choose not to. They could easily pass legislation that seperates church from state, but they choose not too because of religious belief's. Its those belief's that are an outlet for extremism in the first place!

(This morning a group of American Islamic leaders held a press conference to announce a fatwa, or Islamic religious ruling, against “terrorism and extremism.” An organization called the Fiqh Council of North America (FCNA) issued the fatwa, and the Council on American - Islamic Relations (CAIR) organized the press conference, stating that several major U.S. Muslim groups endorsed the fatwa.)

There is an example of a bogus "fatwa" (religious ruling). Look that up, its called lip service .I read this ruling and Nowhere in the text does it condemn islamic extreme ideology that spawned these terrorists, nor does it acknowledge jihadist groups existence. Now that we have established that it is possible to be a religious group that spouts lip service, lets move on.

Instead of saying "we dont like these people" why dont they look at the reasons why these people become these people in the first place, and condemn religious teachings at young ages?

I can be a christian, and say I hate extreme christians then do nothing about it because I love christianity more. Does that make me a religious leader? Then I dont see why there is a thread about normal people, who dont like terrorism. Wow, what a revelation. Very inspiring. Unless someone can do something to educate young muslims the right way, I dont see why attention should be spent on Religious taboo's that got us into this mess in the first place.

One might ask the same of the condemnations voiced by Christians of the murders of abortion providers and the bombings of abortion clinics by self-proclaimed "Christian" fundamentalists.

Are those condemnations sincere...? Or are they simply window dressing?

One might ask the same of the condemnations voiced by Christians of the murders of abortion providers and the bombings of abortion clinics by self-proclaimed "Christian" fundamentalists.

Are those condemnations sincere...? Or are they simply window dressing?

Funny you should ask that question, I voiced my opinion on that in post #4. ;)

on this board: "Why won't muslim Clerics and Muslim leaders condemn terrorism?!!!"

An informed person (aka, Liberal) might say "Well, this it to be expected. The Shia are traditional enemies of the sunni wahabists. What do Sunni leaders say about al qaeda?":

What about Pakistan? Admittedly, it has some clerics who are fans of Bin Laden, or at least who would avoid condemning him. But ...

European Muslims?

I would have repped you, but I gotta spread some more joy first. :thup:

I wasn't being cynical...Just pointing out that that particular question cuts both ways. Personally, I believe the majority of both Christian and Muslim clerics are appalled by the violence done in their name. The hypocrites and power mongers on both sides sully the reputations of the rest.

In response to the well written opening post of this thread, I want to contrast the report that came out about Tancredo's suggestion that we attack Mecca and Medina as a "deterrent" to future attacks on America.

As has been discussed in this thread since that opening post, the overwhelming majority of the world's Muslims are just as peaceful as the overwhelming majority of the world;s Christians.

Such irresponsible and inflammatory rhetoric on the part of Tancredo will hopefully insure that no thinking republican ever votes for him for anything.

Rather than a deterrent, such attacks would ignite a worldwide backlash from all those Muslims and no doubt drive the entire planet right over the edge of the precipice and into Hell itself

I dont trust cair, but the other clerics, its good they condemn but actions are needed too, we need their help, and them to go against and stop teaching bad stuff. YOu understand ?

European Muslims?

Great OP, DCD

In response to the well written opening post of this thread, I want to contrast the report that came out about Tancredo's suggestion that we attack Mecca and Medina as a "deterrent" to future attacks on America.

If by "deterrent" he meant "endless war and slaughter of American citizens," then I'd have to agree with him.

The man truly is a moron.

Forum List

Back