I find calling the OWS Protesters "Hippies" to be Personally Offensive

I used to think I was a hippie too! Until I realise it was a catch phrase for the comercialization and capitalization of the Summer of Love feast in Haight-Ashbury during 1967.
Wrong.

"The legacy of the hippie movement continues to permeate Western society."

American Culture UNCHAINED!!!!!

fist-md.png

Get CENTERED!!!!!

Nope not wrong. All co-opted by corporate types. Bell bottoms, tie dies, sandles,....all avaliable at Wal-Mart. Big concerts, big album sales. If anything the co-opting of the "Hippies" re-enforced capitalism.

"But it really gets on my nerves when people try to compare the OWS retards with the hippies of the 60s."

I agree. The original hippies were MUCH more retarded than the OWS wannabes.

"Whether you are agree or not, I believe that we were highly effective in stopping the Vietnam war."

And you think aiding communists in subjugating another country is something to be proud of?

"The hippies were the nexus of a social revolution that involved organic gardening, new forms of architecture, and eventually led to personal computers and the Internet."

Bullshit. Right time; wrong group. Real hippies were too busy evolving to be involved in anything requiring actual effort.

how very sad that you think using the powers the founderss gave the people is a bad thing.

I wish Americans would do the historical research needed to understand the greatness of their own country.

The right to which you refer is guaranteed in the first amendment and nowhere in that amendment will you find the right to shout at, spit at poop on intimidate or insult others.

Part of greatness is to understand that all have a right to their own opinion and to assure that the bullies of the neighborhood are not allowed to assert their will forcibly on those around them.

Selective application of law is a dangerous tactic to employ.

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I figure them to be "faux hippies", but they definitely identify with the 60's culture in their anti-establishment sentiments. Problem is, they have no idea what the establishment really is. Hint- it's not Wall Street.

I find it highly offensive to associate these OWS loons with the Vietnam protesters and the Hippies of that era.

Yes, the Sunni Man was a hippie in the late 60s and early 70s.

I had the long hair and the obligatory bell bottom pants with sandals. (please hold down the laughter)

After I was Honorably discharged from the service. I did participate in several "End the War" demonstrations.

Whether you are agree or not, I believe that we were highly effective in stopping the Vietnam war.

But it really gets on my nerves when people try to compare the OWS retards with the hippies of the 60s.

Sure both good and bad came out of that era of social conflict.

But I think everyone will agree that the best music ever came out of that time.

Whereas, the Flea Party protesters have no music to define their cause or social consciousness like we did.

The hippies were the nexus of a social revolution that involved organic gardening, new forms of architecture, and eventually led to personal computers and the Internet.

The only legacy I see the OWS retards leaving are huge mounds of poop at the far corners of their camp or across the street. :cuckoo:

The Conservatives are reacting to them in the same way with their 'Take a bath and get a job'. Sound familiar? There would have been a 'Get a haircut' thrown in back then.
Which is exactly what I did.

I cut my hair and got a job that lead to a career.

Besides, by then the long hair look was out and the clean cut look was in. :cool:

Forum List

Back