I finally heard it........

marv

Resident Grandpa
Aug 27, 2010
Shell Knob, MO
........a cosmologist appearing on the Science Channel said, "We cannot see the edge of the Universe." A further argument that the Universe is infinite is dimension, and against the Big Bang theory. At least someone understands how compression waves work.

........a cosmologist appearing on the Science Channel said, "We cannot see the edge of the Universe." A further argument that the Universe is infinite is dimension, and against the Big Bang theory.
No, no it's not.

Can you see the edge of the Earth's atmosphere from your apartment's balcony? No? Does this prove that the Earth's atmosphere is infinite?

........a cosmologist appearing on the Science Channel said, "We cannot see the edge of the Universe." A further argument that the Universe is infinite is dimension, and against the Big Bang theory.
No, no it's not.

Can you see the edge of the Earth's atmosphere from your apartment's balcony? No? Does this prove that the Earth's atmosphere is infinite?
yes. if I could run on water, I could run across the earth forever without ever reaching its end

:eusa_whistle:

........a cosmologist appearing on the Science Channel said, "We cannot see the edge of the Universe." A further argument that the Universe is infinite is dimension, and against the Big Bang theory. At least someone understands how compression waves work.

We cannot see the edge of the universe?
Well Duhhh.

:lol:

fail

Observable universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jb,

what does this mean, from your link?

The age of the Universe is about 13.75 billion years, but due to the expansion of space we are now observing objects that are now considerably farther away (as defined in terms of cosmological proper distance, which is equal to the comoving distance at the present time) than a static 13.75 billion light-years distance.[2] The diameter of the observable universe is estimated to be about 28 billion parsecs (93 billion light-years),[3] putting the edge of the observable universe at about 46-47 billion light-years away.[4][5]

and btw insisting that there was a ''beginning'' and there is an ''end'' is Biblical! :D:D alpha and omega

Basically, it means light/radiation from objects past a certain distance hasn't reached us yet, creating a horizon past which we cannot 'see'.

Eagle can probably explain it in greater detail; I'm not a math person

Basically, it means light/radiation from objects past a certain distance hasn't reached us yet, creating a horizon past which we cannot 'see'.

THEN HOW do we know there is an end to it?

We do not know there is an end. And is likely that humans will never know.
But one thing is certain it will not matter to any of us whether we know or not.

Red shift.

We've seen that the universe is expanding. That means, when played backwards, everything comes to a single point. This is the 'Big Bang'.

This left two possibilities: a finite expanding universe or a form of solid state in which ever more matter/energy came form somewhere like a white hole.

The law of the conservation of energy rules out the second possibility. Meaning the amount of matter/energy in the universe is finite.

Through mathematics that I'm not going to claim to fully comprehend, it has been determined that 'TBB' was not merely matter moving through space, but rather the expansion of space-time itself.

We're reaching the point where the mathematics involved became too much for me and I stopped trying to grasp all the details.

also, the expansion of space-time and the finite nature of matter/energy are what bring about the whole entropy thing

Red shift.

We've seen that the universe is expanding. That means, when played backwards, everything comes to a single point. This is the 'Big Bang'.

This left two possibilities: a finite expanding universe or a form of solid state in which ever more matter/energy came form somewhere like a white hole.

The law of the conservation of energy rules out the second possibility. Meaning the amount of matter/energy in the universe is finite.

Through mathematics that I'm not going to claim to fully comprehend, it has been determined that 'TBB' was not merely matter moving through space, but rather the expansion of space-time itself.

We're reaching the point where the mathematics involved became too much for me and I stopped trying to grasp all the details.

also, the expansion of space-time and the finite nature of matter/energy are what bring about the whole entropy thing

Although I try my best, I can't begin to understand the science or mathematics of it all, my best understanding is at the level of the Discovery Channel's program, "the Universe" or "how the Earth was made" or the likes of these type programs....and even with those programs, I still do not understand it all!

I love learning about it though! :D

THEN HOW do we know there is an end to it?
Because the edge of the universe is not an edge in the location sense, but in the time-space sense.

spacetime.jpg

Since we humans are continually moving forward in time, it is virtually impossible for us to reach the edge of time-space. If there were some way to travel through time, we could rather easily find the edge of the universe and create all kinds of mind-destroying paradoxes trying to 'cross' it.

Furthermore, this space-time continuum is distorted by gravity. With a big bang, gravity reaches infinity, and so time becomes impossible to measure.

spacetime-frame-dragging.jpg

Even more mind-numbing, Hawking theorizes that beyond a certain point, it is physically impossible to 'see', due to the lack of physical organization in such regions. If the fundamental particles that form light and matter do not properly line up, there will be no light and matter to measure.

One of my friends is a quantum mechanics graduate student at the University of Illinois...I was once able to follow his discussions of the universe when he played chess, but now he's well beyond my comprehension. He is rather obsessed with quantum computing, if memory serves.

Last edited:
Fail. You can't hear a whisper from the other end of a football field, not because it "needs" more time to reach you, but because it's energy has disipated its energy. Picture an onion.

We do not know there is an end. And is likely that humans will never know.
But one thing is certain it will not matter to any of us whether we know or not.
It's important to the extent that we spend billions of dollars running down wrong paths that can arguably be determined to be dead ends.

To the flat earthers of the middle ages, the Earth ended at the end of their eyesight. We can't see farther than 13½ billion light years, so that's the size of the Universe, and coincidently, the age of the Universe.

Red shift.

Einstein had a problem with his calculations of the mass of the Universe until he came across Hubbell's observed red shift of some galactic bodies.

Hubbell's red shift is based on the Doppler effect. But the Doppler effect doesn't require the change in speed between two bodies. It also causes the "tired light" observation - the more distant a relatively fixed light source is, it's frequency shifts toward the red.

Fail. You can't hear a whisper from the other end of a football field, not because it "needs" more time to reach you, but because it's energy has disipated its energy. Picture an onion.
Light does not dissipate energy as it travels, as light is energy. Rather, it is absorbed when it hits matter...which is rather rare in the vast nothinginess of space. This is why we can see other stars at all.

It is fallacious to compare a particle wave moving through dense atmosphere with a photon moving through the vacuum of space.

You're an idiot.

Speed of sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Speed of light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It also causes the "tired light" observation - the more distant a relatively fixed light source is, it's frequency shifts toward the red.
:lol:

Forum List

Back