I.F.Stone confirmed as spy

Does that mean McCarthyism and racial descrimination were good things?

So you think that spying is something to be overlooked if you write something against racism?
You need to get a clue. The guy wrote what he wrote as a cover for his use of you liberal weenies for his spying operation. It was a way to recruit you. Usefull democrats all.

Interesting, I read IF Stone in the New York Review of Books many years ago. He didn't seem like the dreamy disillusioned type? I also subscribed to Commentary years ago but it is a neocon magazine today. I am always skeptical of Soviet or any so called intelligence, it falls into that hazy world of assumption.

I.F. Stone - The New York Review of Books

The KGB recruited journalists in part for their access to inside information and sources on politics and policy, insights into personalities, and confidential and non-public information that never made it into published stories. Certain journalistic working habits also lent themselves to intelligence tasks. By profession, journalists ask questions and probe; what might seem intrusive or suspect if done by anyone else is their normal modus operandi. Consequently, the KGB often used journalists as talent spotters for persons who did have access to sensitive information, and made use of them to gather background information that would help in evaluating candidates for recruitment.
The flexibility of their work also made journalists desirable as couriers and agent handlers (the liaisons between KGB officers and their American sources). There was also much less risk that a journalist having contact with a government official or engineer would attract the attention of security officials than would a KGB officer under Soviet diplomatic cover. And even if security officials did notice such a meeting, it would be much easier to provide a benign explanation for contact with a pesky American journalist than with a Soviet diplomat. Additionally, the KGB could use journalists for “active measures”—the planting of a story in the press or giving a slant to a story that served KGB goals.

Source

Hmmm...assuming that all the above is true, by today's standards that would have made Stone not a spy, but a LOBBYIST on behalf of the Soviets.

I'm inclined to believe that was probably was true of him from time to time.

A LOT of the pre WWII left fell for the myth that the Soviets were something they were not.

Just as a LOT of the American industrialists fell for the myth that Hitler was something he was not.

There is no better way to propagandize than to lie to the press, folks.

Forum List

Back