I Don't See Any Particular Religion As Correct Or Better

I was raised Christian, my family up north is mostly Catholic, and my family farther down south where I currently live isn't really anything particular but I guess I'd classify them as Baptists/Methodists.

My mother and brother remain active church members and I like the idea of the church environment and people but I just don't follow or get into the ideas of Jesus being Christ and the rest of the religion.

Politically, I actually am very conservative and fully support Christian morals.

But I have a deep mind, I've just put a lot of thought and research into the topic and have come to the conclusion that it simply all just doesn't seem real to me.

It seems very likely to me that religions are just beliefs that were developed mostly during the times where humanity was incredibly more primative than it is now, and was used to keep civilizations in order and to answer questions to the simple-minded as far as how they got there, and what their purpose is, and how to "live after death."

Anyone else in this boat?

Anyone have any comments?

You sound like an agnostic-type Christian.

Tell me, is religion fun for you? Have you enjoyed your upbringing? Would you encourage your kids to have the same type of upbringing.

If you can say yes to all three of the above, then that religion is better for you than you think.

By the way, I am not a believer

No I'm pretty sure Cecilie is saying that it would be nice if the athiests practiced what they preached.

It would just be nice if, when you say, "I would really rather not discuss this with you, because I'm a Christian and I find this topic offensive," they would then shut the hell up, rather than continuing to rant.

:lol:as you continue to rant and rave. Phony.

And once again, this is a public message board. Don't like the topic, don't read and leave the thread. :cuckoo: Yet you continue to post, while complaining it offends you. Hypocrite again

I tell you what, ass hat. Why don't I start a thread discussing your sexual proclivities, and if you don't like the topic, you can just not read it and leave the thread? After all, it's a public message board, so where the hell would you get the idea that you have any right to take offense to people deciding to discuss your personal life and behavior, even if it's in a negative fashion?

But oh hey, as long as it's my RELIGIOUS BELIEFS you pompous assholes have decided you need to discuss, I have no right to be offended or to challenge your motivations.

I have a better idea. If you don't like me taking offense to the self-satisfied asshole starting the thread, and if you're too damned insecure to have someone question your pathological need to say, "Religious people are stupid. Look how smart I am instead!", then why don't YOU just not read my posts? Because just as YOU champion your "free speech" right to express opinions about other people's lives, I champion my free speech right to tell you you're an obnoxious windbag.

\
:lol::lol::lol::lol: Courteous? They go into fits and rages anytime someone doesn't believe, at least many of the more vocal ones.

Bullshit. I don't know anyone like that, and I'd bet good money you don't, either. In fact, if you even know anyone who's openly Christian at all, I'd be stunned. I highly doubt that you're openminded enough to cultivate acquaintances with anyone who doesn't think exactly like you.

Aren't you openly Christian? Are we not cultivating acquaintance with you when we post on forums together?

Are all atheists or Christians or Taoists or Buddhists alike?

I'm openly Christian in much the same way that I'm openly conservative, or openly married. It's not a secret, because despite what some people would like, I don't consider any of those things to be shameful or feel the need to hide them. If it comes up it does, if it doesn't, it doesn't.

And no, you're not "cultivating an acquaintance" with me on this message board. Get over yourself. You're an anonymous set of pixels, as are we all, shouting your opinions into cyberspace. We don't know each other from Adam, and I sincerely doubt most of us would have any interest in actually socializing with each other in the real world.

Hey Cecilbitch........ever consider it's not YOUR religion that is being discussed, but rather EVERYONE'S religion?

Get over yourself you overblown egocentric hag.

It would just be nice if, when you say, "I would really rather not discuss this with you, because I'm a Christian and I find this topic offensive," they would then shut the hell up, rather than continuing to rant.

:lol:as you continue to rant and rave. Phony.

And once again, this is a public message board. Don't like the topic, don't read and leave the thread. :cuckoo: Yet you continue to post, while complaining it offends you. Hypocrite again

I tell you what, ass hat. Why don't I start a thread discussing your sexual proclivities, and if you don't like the topic, you can just not read it and leave the thread? After all, it's a public message board, so where the hell would you get the idea that you have any right to take offense to people deciding to discuss your personal life and behavior, even if it's in a negative fashion?

But oh hey, as long as it's my RELIGIOUS BELIEFS you pompous assholes have decided you need to discuss, I have no right to be offended or to challenge your motivations.

I have a better idea. If you don't like me taking offense to the self-satisfied asshole starting the thread, and if you're too damned insecure to have someone question your pathological need to say, "Religious people are stupid. Look how smart I am instead!", then why don't YOU just not read my posts? Because just as YOU champion your "free speech" right to express opinions about other people's lives, I champion my free speech right to tell you you're an obnoxious windbag.

:lol:Go ahead, start a thread, as you know nothing about me so it would be all bullshit

what a nut:cuckoo:

The point was obviously to get other people's opinions on the matter and to start a bit of a discussion...

And again I ask, "Why?" Why do you need "a bit of a discussion" about your dislike of religion, or that of the others who flood to do the same thing like flies on an overturned Port-a-Potty? You don't like or believe in religion, fine. What's it to you if other people do, and why do you think anyone is interested in your disbelief, aside from the aforementioned flies?

i think that fear and resentment in discussing and defending your faith or anything else you believe in or subscribe to reveals an insecurity in that belief. i disagree with folks on this topic and others outside the realm of religion, but i respect that they put forth their beliefs, particularly if that is done such to invite criticism.

hammered steel is harder. i suspect your faith is soft from your coddling.

I was raised Christian, my family up north is mostly Catholic, and my family farther down south where I currently live isn't really anything particular but I guess I'd classify them as Baptists/Methodists.

My mother and brother remain active church members and I like the idea of the church environment and people but I just don't follow or get into the ideas of Jesus being Christ and the rest of the religion.

Politically, I actually am very conservative and fully support Christian morals.

But I have a deep mind, I've just put a lot of thought and research into the topic and have come to the conclusion that it simply all just doesn't seem real to me.

It seems very likely to me that religions are just beliefs that were developed mostly during the times where humanity was incredibly more primative than it is now, and was used to keep civilizations in order and to answer questions to the simple-minded as far as how they got there, and what their purpose is, and how to "live after death."

Anyone else in this boat?

Anyone have any comments?

From the background you have described, it appears that you are a victim of "religion." True Christianity is free from the doctrines of man and full of the Grace of God.

People don't just get martyred for a fairy tale. So for those who were there to see the resurrection of Christ, it was a no brainier to give their bodies to be burned at the stake or crucified for what was an obvious truth. No one gives their life up at their free will to be tortured for a fairy tale, and coming from the very same generation that witnessed his resurrection, it was that much more of a testimony.

I wonder how many people would give their lives up in the same manner today? Likely, not too many. And I don't doubt the false doctrines that have creeped into churches and watered down the living Gospel have a big part to play in that.

lite, i think even a fairytale could get someone to willfully endure what early christians did. some early followers who you describe simply had stronger faith and conviction than many today - most only heard stories about Jesus much like ourselves.

The challenge is to find that faith beyond the certainty. like Jesus' challenge to thomas. this conviction is a quality lacking in societies and persons devoid of faith.

There are plenty of examples out there. Americans arent' very good at keeping their religion to themselves like they do in England and other european countries.

religion is about spreading the belief, be it the Good News or islam or tom cruise's spaceship stuff. america is simply more religious and religiously diverse than anywhere in europe.

the characterization in the rest of your post only describes gung-hoa evangelical christians. there's a lot more faith wise going on in this country than that, but evangelicals are the ones asking the loudest for the attention, so...

The point was obviously to get other people's opinions on the matter and to start a bit of a discussion...

And again I ask, "Why?" Why do you need "a bit of a discussion" about your dislike of religion, or that of the others who flood to do the same thing like flies on an overturned Port-a-Potty? You don't like or believe in religion, fine. What's it to you if other people do, and why do you think anyone is interested in your disbelief, aside from the aforementioned flies?

i think that fear and resentment in discussing and defending your faith or anything else you believe in or subscribe to reveals an insecurity in that belief. i disagree with folks on this topic and others outside the realm of religion, but i respect that they put forth their beliefs, particularly if that is done such to invite criticism.

Insecurity is a pretty well known psychological phenomenon, that to me is likely the root of much of the outrage anytime someone doesn't agree with someone's religion, or questions it. Some can get this way simply for having someone believe another religion.

I'll say this again to Cecille, this is a public message board. You don't get to dictate what we want to speak about, everything is open for discussion on a public message board.

There are plenty of examples out there. Americans arent' very good at keeping their religion to themselves like they do in England and other european countries.

religion is about spreading the belief, be it the Good News or islam or tom cruise's spaceship stuff. america is simply more religious and religiously diverse than anywhere in europe.

the characterization in the rest of your post only describes gung-hoa evangelical christians. there's a lot more faith wise going on in this country than that, but evangelicals are the ones asking the loudest for the attention, so...

True, I didn't mean to sound generalizing. You are right, they are the most vocal, also the most annoying. One of my buddies is very religions, a pastor at a church, and has started 2 other churches, and is the most awesome guys I know, and doesn't care about other's belief or whether I don't believe or not.

Bullshit. I don't know anyone like that, and I'd bet good money you don't, either. In fact, if you even know anyone who's openly Christian at all, I'd be stunned. I highly doubt that you're openminded enough to cultivate acquaintances with anyone who doesn't think exactly like you.

Aren't you openly Christian? Are we not cultivating acquaintance with you when we post on forums together?

I'm openly Christian in much the same way that I'm openly conservative, or openly married. It's not a secret, because despite what some people would like, I don't consider any of those things to be shameful or feel the need to hide them. If it comes up it does, if it doesn't, it doesn't.

And no, you're not "cultivating an acquaintance" with me on this message board. Get over yourself. You're an anonymous set of pixels, as are we all, shouting your opinions into cyberspace. We don't know each other from Adam, and I sincerely doubt most of us would have any interest in actually socializing with each other in the real world.

In that case what's the point?

Insecurity is a pretty well known psychological phenomenon, that to me is likely the root of much of the outrage anytime someone doesn't agree with someone's religion, or questions it. Some can get this way simply for having someone believe another religion.

I'll say this again to Cecille, this is a public message board. You don't get to dictate what we want to speak about, everything is open for discussion on a public message board.
:thup:
i wonder what to discuss on the religion/ethics board :eusa_think:

:thup:
i wonder what to discuss on the religion/ethics board :eusa_think:

I'd say, "The stupidity of everyone who doesn't think exactly like me" isn't a good choice in any forum IF you are going to get your panties in a wad when those people then challenge you on it.

If, on the other hand, you have the testicular fortitude to answer those challenges - something that clearly doesn't apply to Gregg - then go for it.

I will never understand why leftists always believe anything less than adoration and standing ovations equals "censorship".

To discuss topics polite, sensible people don't discuss in actual social situations.

To discuss topics polite, sensible people don't discuss in actual social situations.

Discussions go better in a atmosphere of mutual kind regard and respect. People who remember that it is other human beings who are typing away at some remote location instead of thinking of us as 'disembodied anonymous sets of pixels'. It sounds as though you think that the forum is a place for impolite people to talk nonsense.

Of course, you are free to see me and others any way you like.

I wonder if as a Christian, that influences how you aspire to treat others?

Last edited:

Discussions go better in a atmosphere of mutual kind regard and respect. People who remember that it is other human beings who are typing away at some remote location instead of thinking of us as 'disembodied anonymous sets of pixels'. It sounds as though you think that the forum is a place for impolite people to talk nonsense.

First, stop jumping on Cecil!

She is out of the closet about her conservatism!
She is out of the closet with her marriage!
She is out of the closet about her faith and she is damn proud of it too.

Maybe if some of you came out of the closet, you could discover some pride yourselves.

By the way, I treat this board as a place to post anything I like. That include nonsense as well. If some one tells me to stop posting my crap, I post more of it!

They only stated an opinion that I am wasting their time. I wonder, if such people ever realize that they are wasting their own time?----Because they chose to!

First, stop jumping on Cecil!

She is out of the closet about her conservatism!
She is out of the closet with her marriage!
She is out of the closet about her faith and she is damn proud of it too.

Maybe if some of you came out of the closet, you could discover some pride yourselves.

By the way, I treat this board as a place to post anything I like. That include nonsense as well. If some one tells me to stop posting my crap, I post more of it!

They only stated an opinion that I am wasting their time. I wonder, if such people ever realize that they are wasting their own time?----Because they chose to!

Id rather find humility. You learn more that way

I will never understand why leftists always believe anything less than adoration and standing ovations equals "censorship".
could it be your STFU response to the OP's balanced invitation to discuss?

I don't recall telling him to shut up. I asked him to explain his driving need to have this discussion. I then recall being TOLD to shut up and go away because it is apparently not allowed to question the righteousness of atheists determined to tell everyone else how stupid they are.

By the way, "censorship" applies to people acting in an official capacity, with official authority, like the government. It doesn't apply to individuals who have no power to force you into silence. Duhhh.

That is entirely your opinion. You mistakenly assume that everyone's idea of how a discussion should go and what constitutes "better" matches your own.

Of course this is a place for impoliteness, and occasionally for nonsense. POLITE people wouldn't discuss politics, religion, and social issues AT ALL.

I'm very sorry if you've been thinking all this time that cyber-relationships are real relationships.

Yes.

I wonder if you think I should be influenced by YOUR vision of what Christianity is and isn't. You do seem to have an issue with assuming that your personal opinion is a universal, objective viewpoint.

Forum List

Back