I Don't See Any Particular Religion As Correct Or Better

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Big-A-, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Big-A-

Big-A- Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was raised Christian, my family up north is mostly Catholic, and my family farther down south where I currently live isn't really anything particular but I guess I'd classify them as Baptists/Methodists.

My mother and brother remain active church members and I like the idea of the church environment and people but I just don't follow or get into the ideas of Jesus being Christ and the rest of the religion.

Politically, I actually am very conservative and fully support Christian morals.

But I have a deep mind, I've just put a lot of thought and research into the topic and have come to the conclusion that it simply all just doesn't seem real to me.

It seems very likely to me that religions are just beliefs that were developed mostly during the times where humanity was incredibly more primative than it is now, and was used to keep civilizations in order and to answer questions to the simple-minded as far as how they got there, and what their purpose is, and how to "live after death."

Anyone else in this boat?

Anyone have any comments?

2. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Let me be the first to ask: and you're telling us this because why?

I'm not just trying to be snarky (hell, when have I ever had to TRY?). I honestly have never understood the compulsion so many people have to announce that they find religion silly or wrong or whatever, as though they imagine the whole world has been breathlessly waiting for them to release a statement on the subject.

And I would honestly like one of them to tell me why they think anyone cares what they think about it? Exactly what do you folks believe you're accomplishing with this?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    When it comes to religion:

Mine is mine and yours is yours.

And I don't really care what yours has to say. Or not say.

4. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,951
    I Don't See Any Particular Religion As Correct Or Better

They are all equally stultifying.

5. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    I think the best religion is the one that works for you. The one that really helps your mind and heart. The one that others who are around you can benefit by because you, yourself live the teachings.

6. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Religion was developed by people who needed answers they could not answer with the knowledge of the time.

The felt unalone in their minds.

All people do and its called being self aware.

People needed to have reasurance that their dead loved ones would be seen again and that life was worth it because you got great rewards after it.

I know the feeling of wanting to tell someone what you belive. Thanks for sharing your views. Icould never find any reason to believe it all ether.

7. Big-A-

Big-A- Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The point was obviously to get other people's opinions on the matter and to start a bit of a discussion...

8. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    And again I ask, "Why?" Why do you need "a bit of a discussion" about your dislike of religion, or that of the others who flood to do the same thing like flies on an overturned Port-a-Potty? You don't like or believe in religion, fine. What's it to you if other people do, and why do you think anyone is interested in your disbelief, aside from the aforementioned flies?

9. THE LIGHT

THE LIGHT Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Under His Wings in the Shadow of the Almighty!
    Ratings:
    +301
    From the background you have described, it appears that you are a victim of "religion." True Christianity is free from the doctrines of man and full of the Grace of God.

People don't just get martyred for a fairy tale. So for those who were there to see the resurrection of Christ, it was a no brainier to give their bodies to be burned at the stake or crucified for what was an obvious truth. No one gives their life up at their free will to be tortured for a fairy tale, and coming from the very same generation that witnessed his resurrection, it was that much more of a testimony.

I wonder how many people would give their lives up in the same manner today? Likely, not too many. And I don't doubt the false doctrines that have creeped into churches and watered down the living Gospel have a big part to play in that.

10. Oscar Wao

Oscar Wao Victory is Mine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Given the history of the Christian faith, not just Scripture, I'd bank that Jesus is the Only Way to find God and salvation.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1