I don't know about your local NFL team, but...

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
...this is the petty nonsense we have to deal with on the Phila. Eagles... and it's just pre-season.

McNabb tells Owens to stop talking about him
By DAN GELSTON, AP Sports Writer
August 12, 2005

AP - Aug 10, 8:31 pm EDT

BETHLEHEM, Pa. (AP) -- Donovan McNabb insisted he wasn't stung by criticism from Terrell Owens, laughing off the banished wide receiver's remarks before turning serious and telling him to ``keep my name out of your mouth.''

While Owens left his home for the Bahamas, McNabb joked with reporters, tapped the mikes and rubbed his hands together before taking his seat inside a jammed media tent shortly after Philadelphia's Friday practice.

``Yeah! C'mon, bring it!'' McNabb said to laughter.

Owens again blasted McNabb on two separate interviews with ESPN on Thursday, calling the quarterback a ``hypocrite'' and saying the two of them could not be successful together. Owens also said he had no desire to speak with McNabb.

``It's so funny to me how my name keeps getting thrown out there,'' McNabb said. ``You've just got to have fun with it and that's exactly what we're doing.''

Owens was told to go home Wednesday after a heated dispute with coach Andy Reid -- and to stay there for a week. He's since lifted weights and shot hoops in front of the reporters camped outside his house and had harsh words for Reid and McNabb in TV interviews.

On Friday morning, Owens left his Moorestown, N.J., home with two suitcases and went to Philadelphia International Airport, where he told KYW-TV as he headed to a security gate: ``I'm going to the Bahamas. I'm going to get a tan.''

McNabb, light and smiling throughout his interview, agreed with Owens the two didn't necessarily have to speak to win.

``I still to this day see no reason for us to talk,'' McNabb said. ``When we step on this field, it's all about business. We're professionals that line up and do the right thing.''

This was the second time this year McNabb has warned Owens to stop talking about him.

After Owens complained that McNabb was tired in the Super Bowl, McNabb said ``Just keep my name out of your mouth,'' during a mandatory minicamp.

McNabb, who made a recruiting pitch to get Owens to Philadelphia before last season, was tired of hearing Owens complain.

``Now for my name to be thrown out again, this is the second time. Keep my name out of your mouth,'' he said. ``Keep my family's name out of your mouth.''

Owens called McNabb a ``hypocrite'' on Thursday because the quarterback said publicly that he did not want to meet with Owens, while T.O said McNabb did try to arrange a meeting.

McNabb said he didn't learn until Thursday that his brother did reach out to someone close to Owens to arrange a meeting where the two Eagles could possibly work out their differences.

McNabb was bothered that Owens brought his family into his televised rants.

``My family doesn't need to be involved in any of this. I don't need to be involved in any of this,'' he said. ``Now when you bring my family into it, I have a problem.''

I've been a fan of the Miami Dolphins ever since I can remember.

I'm glad we're done playing "Where in the World is Ricky Williams" - but he is still a little out there.

Now, if he rushes for 2,000 yards this year, he can be as wacked out as he wants.

As far as T.O., I seem to remember another Eagles player a few years ago who held out for a better contract and ended up getting traded 7 weeks into the season.

GotZoom said:
...As far as T.O., I seem to remember another Eagles player a few years ago who held out for a better contract and ended up getting traded 7 weeks into the season.

Ricky Watters?

(But I don't think he was traded mid-season).

Keith Jackson?

Abbey Normal said:
Ricky Watters?

(But I don't think he was traded mid-season).

Keith Jackson?

I can't find the article. I know I saw that....it mentioned something about a hold-out being traded seven games into the season. It was within the last few years...but maybe no the Eagles.

nah eagles have never made a trade midseason in my recent memory. They did franchise tag Trotter then let him go when he was a pain.

I have defended TO for the better part of a year against cowboy fans, eagles haters and to haters who all just wanted to take a shot at the eagles and TO alike. I thought all along that this moron rosenhaus was manipulating TO. Now i see that i was wrong. TO is the biggest retard known to man. He's the 3rd highest paid WR in football and he wants more money?

His dumbass agent said he outplayed his contract? He was asked to play exceptional for money. Thats what he did. How is that outplaying a contract?

I have no remorse for TO. He's stuck though. He either plays for the eagles this year or he never plays again. EVER. He's under contract and the eagles have no obligation to pay him anything if doesnt show up to play. So he's going to play. Whether its for himself or for the team it doesnt matter. He'll play because he has too. there's no other option for him.

McNabb seems to have a lot of class, including the way he dealt with some inexplicible hostility from the Eagles fans earlier in his career. How can he be expected to have a rapport with this moron after the things TO has said?

Reid is a good coach and doesn't need these distractions. TO is making such a fool out of himself that a lot of other teams might not want him. Send him to Oakland so that he can go to kindergarten with his evil twin Randy Moss.

Forum List

Back