I Don't Know a Single Person On This Earth Any More.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Too many elderly people have no real relationship with their grandchildren. They are completely alone.

I couldn’t get him out of my mind. He woke me up at 2 a.m. and I paced the room, blew my nose and stared into my bathroom mirror studying my own aging features. He wasn’t my patient.

He belonged to my emergency physician colleague, Dr. Brian Thomas Fletcher, who posted the case for some of us to read. It simply stated, “Saddest case ever.”

95-year-old male comes in for suicidal ideation. When asked why, he said, “My last friend died last week. I don’t know one single person on this earth anymore. Not one.” :(

My heart stopped when I read it, pausing a few beats perhaps, but I’m fairly certain it stopped. Now the words woke me up.

I tilted my head under the faucet and took a long drink and laid back down. I didn’t take care of him but I could see him. Thin, balding in a shirt and slacks that once covered a robust six-foot frame now five-nine, a face etched by more than 34,000 sunrises that perhaps saw the decks of a destroyer, or the inside of a bomber somewhere over the Pacific or Italy. His silver, wire-rimmed frames magnify eyes with wrinkles that held tears for perhaps the first time in years, the last being when he buried his wife.

I Don't Know a Single Person on this Earth Anymore

I was going to say that we did not fail them, they failed to make new friends.

BUT, the article then went on to make a valid point

"The central theme was that they did not know their grandchildren because travel sports had robbed them of weekends and Sunday night dinners and countless other opportunities to interact."

We do not place enough value on family or time with family or friends.

And activities, such as "travel sports" are a problem for our society. It is stupid how busy we all are.

BUT, my first reaction is also valid. People need to give some thought to how to make new friends.

My mother was a master of that. She made friends everywhere she went.

Too many elderly people have no real relationship with their grandchildren. They are completely alone.

I couldn’t get him out of my mind. He woke me up at 2 a.m. and I paced the room, blew my nose and stared into my bathroom mirror studying my own aging features. He wasn’t my patient.

He belonged to my emergency physician colleague, Dr. Brian Thomas Fletcher, who posted the case for some of us to read. It simply stated, “Saddest case ever.”

95-year-old male comes in for suicidal ideation. When asked why, he said, “My last friend died last week. I don’t know one single person on this earth anymore. Not one.” :(

My heart stopped when I read it, pausing a few beats perhaps, but I’m fairly certain it stopped. Now the words woke me up.

I tilted my head under the faucet and took a long drink and laid back down. I didn’t take care of him but I could see him. Thin, balding in a shirt and slacks that once covered a robust six-foot frame now five-nine, a face etched by more than 34,000 sunrises that perhaps saw the decks of a destroyer, or the inside of a bomber somewhere over the Pacific or Italy. His silver, wire-rimmed frames magnify eyes with wrinkles that held tears for perhaps the first time in years, the last being when he buried his wife.

Much more common than most people realize.

The only thing worse than being alone is being old and alone.

• Banned
I don't have any grandkids.....My kids just don't want any....

I just caught this. I'm in another location right now.

The article attracted my attention because I visit an old man in a care home. And he is totally alone; wife died, no children or siblings.

Had an interesting life in Canada and New Zealand.

And I wonder: is this all there is?

I have dogs, I'm not alone...

I have dogs, I'm not alone...
Ok.

I just caught this. I'm in another location right now.

The article attracted my attention because I visit an old man in a care home. And he is totally alone; wife died, no children or siblings.

Had an interesting life in Canada and New Zealand.

And I wonder: is this all there is?
6df.gif

This is very hard when the last person you lose is your closest friend or spouse.

So you go from having all that you need to having nothing.

What gets me is the people who WANT to be alone, who WISH people would leave them alone. Who would LOVE to be on an island alone. But what we really want is the CHOICE to be alone where we could change that and go back if we wanted to, and when we are done with alone time.

As for me I'm blessed to be able to meet people where after a single conversation I feel like we've known each other all our lives. We just connect instantly. There is so much work to do in the world, when you meet people on the same track it's like you've always been t here but just hadn't met yet.

The advice and support given to elderly people is to meet with other people with similar interests in similar situations. As long as they have a common interest, like pets or antiques or sewing or crafting, you can always make friends with people and feel like you already share a history or background. It doesn't have to be scary at all.

At first, when the grief and shock hits, of course you are going to feel alone and scared. Think of a new baby coming into the world, who has only known the comfort of the womb and voices from the outside. And doesn't know anyone, or understand who is what in the world. So it's like starting as a new baby and finding out all over again, what you want to do and which people like to share that with you. I hope that all people have this support to continue pursuing what they love to do in life, and find friends to share that with. No matter what stage or situation they face in life, we all need support and respond to people who share the same interests and purpose in life in order to enjoy the journey.

This is very hard when the last person you lose is your closest friend or spouse.

So you go from having all that you need to having nothing.

What gets me is the people who WANT to be alone, who WISH people would leave them alone. Who would LOVE to be on an island alone. But what we really want is the CHOICE to be alone where we could change that and go back if we wanted to, and when we are done with alone time.

As for me I'm blessed to be able to meet people where after a single conversation I feel like we've known each other all our lives. We just connect instantly. There is so much work to do in the world, when you meet people on the same track it's like you've always been t here but just hadn't met yet.

The advice and support given to elderly people is to meet with other people with similar interests in similar situations. As long as they have a common interest, like pets or antiques or sewing or crafting, you can always make friends with people and feel like you already share a history or background. It doesn't have to be scary at all.

At first, when the grief and shock hits, of course you are going to feel alone and scared. Think of a new baby coming into the world, who has only known the comfort of the womb and voices from the outside. And doesn't know anyone, or understand who is what in the world. So it's like starting as a new baby and finding out all over again, what you want to do and which people like to share that with you. I hope that all people have this support to continue pursuing what they love to do in life, and find friends to share that with. No matter what stage or situation they face in life, we all need support and respond to people who share the same interests and purpose in life in order to enjoy the journey.
Read my sid line....."To live is to suffer"....Just the way it works, unfortunately we have no power to change it.....No amount of money will extend your life...and your relatives want/take/ conspire to loot all your possession while you die.......

I don't have grandkids, but my wife does.

When they come, they come to see her.

If she passes before me.....
I have had five step Dads that always panned me and went straight for my sister, yeah it happens.. I was the little bastard while she was treated like a queen......Today my step dad still berates me.. I refuse to acknowledge his existence...But he treats my Ma well and I am happy for her...

That's heartbreaking.

That's why I married a woman 10 years my junior. Not too young...but not too old to still wipe my ass when I hit the wall.

Which reminds me; I have to visit a hospital this week, a woman who is in palliative care there. Her daughter, who thinks the world of her mother, stays there on the ward for the week, and goes home at the weekend.

So there are grown children who will care about their parents in later years.

Perhaps that's why Republicans have no problem cutting Social Security, Medicare and wouldn't mind seeing the elderly end up homeless..........or dead.

Forum List

Back