I dont believe this......

Joz said:
I downloaded a demo of Word Majohhg from Real player.
Instead of matching tiles you choose tiles to spell words.
I ended up with the dreaded 'Qu' tile, but eventually managed to spell the word, "Queer". It wouldn't take. Figured I hit a wrong tile so I carefully spelled the word again. Said the word was not in the dictionary.
I have dictionaries but they're a few years old. And they suffice for any word I need to look up. Is this true? Has this word been removed from the dictionaries?
Please say that isn't so!

Joz said:
I ended up with the dreaded 'Qu' tile, but eventually managed to spell the word, "Queer". It wouldn't take. Figured I hit a wrong tile so I carefully spelled the word again. Said the word was not in the dictionary.
I have dictionaries but they're a few years old. And they suffice for any word I need to look up. Is this true? Has this word been removed from the dictionaries?
"Queer" is a perfectly good word meaning "unpleasantly strange", I can tell you without looking it up.

This is yet another case of the PC Gestapo going beserk for no reason.

Joz said:

Nope.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=queer

They are just being politically correct and have removed it from the game's dictionary.

Maybe... Merriam-Webster Online now has a clarifier with it..

Main Entry: 1queer
Pronunciation: 'kwir
Function: adjective
Etymology: origin unknown
1 a : WORTHLESS, COUNTERFEIT <queer money> b : QUESTIONABLE, SUSPICIOUS
2 a : differing in some odd way from what is usual or normal b (1) : ECCENTRIC, UNCONVENTIONAL (2) : mildly insane : TOUCHED c : absorbed or interested to an extreme or unreasonable degree : OBSESSED d (1) often disparaging : HOMOSEXUAL (2) sometimes offensive : GAY 4b
3 : not quite well
- queer·ish /-ish/ adjective
- queer·ly adverb
- queer·ness noun
usage Over the past two decades, an important change has occurred in the use of queer in sense 2d. The older, strongly pejorative use has certainly not vanished, but a use by some gay people and some academics as a neutral or even positive term has established itself. This development is most noticeable in the adjective but is reflected in the corresponding noun as well. The newer use is sometimes taken to be offensive, especially by older gay men who fostered the acceptance of gay in these uses and still have a strong preference for it.

Wow....that is queer isn't it?

Try spelling "gay" and see what happens.

Wonder if you will be "happy" with the results.

Forum List

Back