I Discovered This Week That My Instructor Was Really Taught By Bruce Lee

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
The things you can find online.

The other students at my school told me he was, but I sort of laughed it off.

I discovered that my Sifu, Jerry Poteet, was one of only 5 students Bruce Lee selected to carry on his legacy. Why he picked him was obvious to all of us.

I remember I was in the army and a friend of mine in the "Q"Course at Bragg took me to his school and introduced me and a few others to Jerry. He was a short, skinny grey haired white guy. For some reason he chose me as a demonstrator. He had me hold a 2 inch thick phonebook up to my chest to demonstrate Bruce Lee's famous one-inch punch.

Bam...in a flash he hit me with what is classified as a real slobberknocker. Good thing I had the book as protection because it would have stopped my heart.

I practiced with the school until I was reassigned to 5th Special Forces Group in Ft Campbell KY.

Until this weekend i never did any research on Jerry, and back then the internet wasn't established all that much. (1990)

I remember first learning martial arts when Bruce was still alive, when I was a kid. Looking back, it makes one realize how small a world this really is.

I love that one book, "Tao of Jeet Kune Do". I almost hold it at grimoire status, considering the amount of self transformation one can achieve through truly studying it. It always worked well with what I already know of Chinese Kempo and other martial arts.

I love that one book, "Tao of Jeet Kune Do". I almost hold it at grimoire status, considering the amount of self transformation one can achieve through truly studying it. It always worked well with what I already know of Chinese Kempo and other martial arts.

i have that book.....keep it in a sealed bag....

I discovered that my Sifu, Jerry Poteet, was one of only 5 students Bruce Lee selected to carry on his legacy. Why he picked him was obvious to all of us.

I remember I was in the army and a friend of mine in the "Q"Course at Bragg took me to his school and introduced me and a few others to Jerry. He was a short, skinny grey haired white guy. For some reason he chose me as a demonstrator. He had me hold a 2 inch thick phonebook up to my chest to demonstrate Bruce Lee's famous one-inch punch.

Bam...in a flash he hit me with what is classified as a real slobberknocker. Good thing I had the book as protection because it would have stopped my heart.

I practiced with the school until I was reassigned to 5th Special Forces Group in Ft Campbell KY.

Until this weekend i never did any research on Jerry, and back then the internet wasn't established all that much. (1990)

I remember first learning martial arts when Bruce was still alive, when I was a kid. Looking back, it makes one realize how small a world this really is.

Anyone a teen in the 80s probably took martial arts. Was the height of all the ninja-chic crap.

i have that book.....keep it in a sealed bag....

I had that book when I was a teenager, and some chick stole it off me. My sister beat her up. I don't think she had time to study the book.

I bought it too, years ago. The binding was falling apart. Now you can go online and get video classes, which is more practical. But nothing replaced learning it from the Sifu in person. Plus nothing replaces sparring.

I bought it too, years ago. The binding was falling apart. Now you can go online and get video classes, which is more practical. But nothing replaced learning it from the Sifu in person. Plus nothing replaces sparring.

You have to spar. Books and videos mean nothing if you can't practice in a real world environment.

Anyone a teen in the 80s probably took martial arts. Was the height of all the ninja-chic crap.
I started learning it when I was in high school during the Summer in the early 70s. Shotokan at first, then Tykuando, then Aikido, then Wing Chung and finally Jeet Kung Do

I started learning it when I was in high school during the Summer in the early 70s. Shotokan at first, then Tykuando, then Aikido, then Wing Chung and finally Jeet Kung Do

Started with Renshinkan, then Shotokan. Little bit of Aikidio as an adult. More Jedi'esque :)

I used to be an S.I. at a dojo in Phoenix. I was really into Kempo. The book I mentioned served to supliment my existing training and expand my knowledge. And as fun and beneficial that sparring can be, street fights do beat sparring by a long shot. That's when you truly feel like you aren't holding back at all. When sparring with friends, I never feel like I'm going 100%. But on the street? Anything goes. Preferably a fight without weapons, just straight up empty hands and nothing but an oppurtunity in front of you to set your body free and unleash everything you got without holding back.

You have to spar. Books and videos mean nothing if you can't practice in a real world environment.

Like I said.....

Started with Renshinkan, then Shotokan. Little bit of Aikidio as an adult. More Jedi'esque :)
Are you a Jedi?

being in shape helps too......i saw a guy who was pretty heavy,but took his lessons and thought he was pretty bad get his ass kicked by a much smaller guy who i knew was in shape and was not trained in anything......the heavy guy was out of breath and laboring in the first few minutes and got taken down and it was over.....

I used to be an S.I. at a dojo in Phoenix. I was really into Kempo. The book I mentioned served to supliment my existing training and expand my knowledge. And as fun and beneficial that sparring can be, street fights do beat sparring by a long shot. That's when you truly feel like you aren't holding back at all. When sparring with friends, I never feel like I'm going 100%. But on the street? Anything goes. Preferably a fight without weapons, just straight up empty hands and nothing but an oppurtunity in front of you to set your body free and unleash everything you got without holding back.

True, but that's a really good way to get permanently fucked up.

Anyway, if you haven't gotten in any fights growing up you have no business looking for any.

Are you a Jedi?

Sadly no. Minus the Force the Jedi religion's just silly. :)

being in shape helps too......i saw a guy who was pretty heavy,but took his lessons and thought he was pretty bad get his ass kicked by a much smaller guy who i knew was in shape and was not trained in anything......the heavy guy was out of breath and laboring in the first few minutes and got taken down and it was over.....

Yup. Jerry was maybe 150lbs dripping wet. Short. He picked me out because I was the biggest.

They always do....

Are you a Jedi?

Well, if you don't have the force you can't correctly build a lightsaber, thus you're just a nut in a bathrobe.

Are you a Jedi?

Well, if you don't have the force you can't correctly build a lightsaber, thus you're just a nut in a bathrobe.

Indeed. :) Like to think lightsabres are just a matter of time. Thing in "Blade: Trinity" seems doable. Kinda like a Klingon bat'leth but with some kind of plasma. Long as there's a "receiver" point to stop the beam, generating the beam powerful enough is just a matter of miniturization. Hopefully. ;)

Are you a Jedi?

Indeed. :) Like to think lightsabres are just a matter of time. Thing in "Blade: Trinity" seems doable. Kinda like a Klingon bat'leth but with some kind of plasma. Long as there's a "receiver" point to stop the beam, generating the beam powerful enough is just a matter of miniturization. Hopefully. ;)

I still prefer spinning backkicks because they're doable.

Are you a Jedi?

I still prefer spinning backkicks because they're doable.

Great for movies and schoolyards, irl you never turn your back on an opponent. :)

Forum List

Back