I can't believe I just read this on ESPN

Wow!

As the Texas philosopher/football coach Bum Phillips, a one-time Bryant assistant at Texas A&M, said, "He could take his'n and beat your'n, and he could take your'n and beat his'n."

The 150 greatest coaches in college football's 150-year history

What makes that unbelievable? That a guy from Texas would be using Appalachian English?

I learnt the word your'n (your one) here in western Carolina. My mechanic would say "At car's same color as your'n". Then I looked it up, turns out it's an older construction than yours. As a linguistic archconservative I find that appealing. :)

• Banned
Oh. I wasn't familiar. I thought it was an "N word" reference.

REALLY? :uhh:

Have you ever, like, been out of the house?

Etymology
From Middle English youren, from Old English eowerne. Displaced in standard speech by the -s form, yours. See also ourn, hern. Cognate with West Flemish joen (“yourn”).

yourn/your'n

1. (obsolete outside Britain and US dialectal, especially Appalachia) Yours
--- Wiktionary

Last edited:
I've never heard anyone say your'n.

Neither have I. It must be a regional, old school lingo.

Clearly you two have never been to Appalachia. We have an older more conservative English here.

Most of my family lives there. It sounds more like something out of a Mark Twain book than something a contemporary hillbilly would say.

Neither have I. It must be a regional, old school lingo.

Clearly you two have never been to Appalachia. We have an older form of English here.

Never.

Friggin' linguistic liberals. :death:

I'll be the first to admit the language barrier here is sometimes befuddling, but your'n was never one of the hard to figger out ones.

Think about it: "My" > "Mine". "Your" > "Yourn". Natural progression. "My one"/"Your one".

Last edited:
well I certain had a good laugh on this tread, well at least its not a repeat thread

Never heard of your’n but when I was in Tennessee everyone went to skewl to learn. In the area of California my wife grew up in, if you took off your clothes you were necked. Every part of the country has phrases and words and sayings that are part of their own culture. It makes life much more interesting.

Growing up in Oregon the saying was don’t Californicate Oregon.

Etymology
From Middle English youren, from Old English eowerne. Displaced in standard speech by the -s form, yours. See also ourn, hern. Cognate with West Flemish joen (“yourn”).

yourn/your'n

--- Wiktionary

Leave it to the pogostick to never pass up an opportunity to put down others as a means of trying to make himself feel smarter rather than to just shut up and contribute to a thread.

Etymology

yourn/your'n

--- Wiktionary

Leave it to the pogostick to never pass up an opportunity to put down others as a means of trying to make himself feel smarter rather than to just shut up and contribute to a thread.

Ah you mean like this guy did with his whole thread -- attacking a child no less?

An etymology *IS* a contribution, Einstein. It's even right there in what you quoted.

Nobody hates like a leftist.

Etymology

yourn/your'n

--- Wiktionary

His little head is so pointy that it doesn't allow for the retention of any actual knowledge, either.

He actually tried to argue once that the term antisemite meant anti all Semitic people. He clung to his childish views even as I detailed the history of the term, how it came about, who coined it, and the strategy behind doing so.

His general M.O. When he doesn't know something is to run to his dictionary and then try to distract through the splitting of linguistic hairs.
It is all tedious and annoying, the device being used to mask the fact that he is really quite the abjectly ignorant individual.

New Topics

Forum List

Back