I burn the American Flag

NewGuy said:
Isn't that "half-staff"?

And why are we not flying it upside down?

Nobody answering this one?

it is called both half-mast and half-staff.

I ain't flying it upside down cuz I am not in danger.

gop_jeff said:
Because we are not in immenent danger... though I know you will say that, in a Constitutional sense, we are. But flying the flag upside-down is only to be done when a person is in danger of injury and/or death.

Actually the terms of flying upside down are not as specific as you quote.

It says nothing about a "person" in danger of "injury" or "death".

NewGuy said:
Isn't that "half-staff"?

And why are we not flying it upside down?

Nobody answering this one?

Do we do this every time we pass a bill in Congress?

If it's upside down from something like the Patriot Act, and we pass the strict Patriot Act II via legal means (and it remains unchallegned by the Supreme Court who rules on constitutionality), do when get to turn it upside down again and make it rightside up???

Why don't we just leave Old Glory alone, she probably wants no part in this partisan bickering.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/4/8.html

TITLE 4 > CHAPTER 1 > Sec. 8. Prev | Next

Sec. 8. - Respect for flag

No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a)

The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

(b)

The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

(c)

The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d)

The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

There is more.....

Comrade said:
Do we do this every time we pass a bill in Congress?

If it's upside down from something like the Patriot Act, and we pass the strict Patriot Act II via legal means (and it remains unchallegned by the Supreme Court who rules on constitutionality), do when get to turn it upside down again and make it rightside up???

Why don't we just leave Old Glory alone, she probably wants no part in this partisan bickering.

You misunderstand.

The conflict is why you have a government structure the way it was created......so nothing could get done.

:)

Look folks, I'm just another American with views, problems, concerns and opinions, just like all of you have. I am thoroughly pleased with the advent of a place like USMB that openly invites opinion, experience and credible conversation. Other sites tend to ban contributors with differing opinions and the good Lord knows my opinions are a drastic departure from what is mainstream on this board. Nonetheless, I've been allowed to stay and further portray my background, propensities and foresights. Not many like this site on the internet, don't you agree? Two Thumbs Up for USMB.

God Bless America

Psychoblues

Psychoblues said:
Look folks, I'm just another American with views, problems, concerns and opinions, just like all of you have. I am thoroughly pleased with the advent of a place like USMB that openly invites opinion, experience and credible conversation. Other sites tend to ban contributors with differing opinions and the good Lord knows my opinions are a drastic departure from what is mainstream on this board. Nonetheless, I've been allowed to stay and further portray my background, propensities and foresights. Not many like this site on the internet, don't you agree? Two Thumbs Up for USMB.

God Bless America

Psychoblues

Nice setup.

If one disagrees, it can be seen as questioning a moderator.

Psychoblues said:

God Bless America

Psychoblues

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Psycho, you do have your moments! You are so right on this! :laugh: I never thought I'd give YOU 3 handclaps!

NewGuy said:
You misunderstand.

The conflict is why you have a government structure the way it was created......so nothing could get done.

:)

If nothing was actually done because that was the way it was structured, what the... oh hell... I don't have a clue what you mean.

Hey, do y'all like boobies!?! :boobies:

I'm no moderator here, never have been and never will be. A contributor, I admit that readily. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your concern, NewGuy.

God Bless America

Psychoblues

Psychoblues said:

God Bless America

Psychoblues

Lol Psycho your groveling knows no bounds. All this USMB brownnosing will never change the fact that you are a proven crazy, old and drunken troll. I take offense with your original insertion that "conservatives" don't take care of their flags and only drunken libs like yourself do. This crap is along the same lines of that absolutely ridiculous assertion that Bush backers are deadbeats because you towed a few cars with Bush stickers. Are you really this stupid or are you just pretending?

Psychoblues said:
I'm no moderator here, never have been and never will be. A contributor, I admit that readily. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your concern, NewGuy.

God Bless America

Psychoblues

Contribute? What have you ever contributed that has been halfway constructive? What have you ever contributed besides baldfaced lies, running from a discussion when cornered and never ever having any verification of the wild assertions you make?

I don't tow cars anymore, OCA, but I notice the repo lots are full of jalopies with Bush/Cheney stickers on them. I stand by that. The intimation here is that Democrats mind their business while the psuedo uneducated Republicans live on tax-cuts and faith. I don't believe I've ever seen a tax-cut that ever accomplished anything for me or my well-being. My faith remains with myself, my wife and kids, the ultimate good of my country and not much else. Questions?

God Bless America

Psychoblues

Psychoblues said:
I don't tow cars anymore, OCA, but I notice the repo lots are full of jalopies with Bush/Cheney stickers on them. I stand by that. The intimation here is that Democrats mind their business while the psuedo uneducated Republicans live on tax-cuts and faith. I don't believe I've ever seen a tax-cut that ever accomplished anything for me or my well-being. My faith remains with myself, my wife and kids, the ultimate good of my country and not much else. Questions?

God Bless America

Psychoblues

I now realize that all the bull you stated before was just that..... bull! :cow:

Psychoblues said:

God Bless America

Psychoblues

Then you are a complete nutcase. So giving the money back to the people who earned it is less beneficial in your eyes than tax raises to support more federal pork projects? Again are you stupid or just pretending?

I have proof that tax cuts are the ultimate benefit to America, 1980-88, Ronald Reagan, the best economy and the best time for working Americans in the last 30 years, don't question me, you've seen the proof before, you know it to be true.

Regardless your other assertions are hogwash since your views are clouded by an overwhelming alcohol problem which makes your judgements highly suspect. Go dry out.

freeandfun1 said:
I now realize that all the bull you stated before was just that..... bull! :cow:

Yeah I just realized that, according to Psycho he had just towed some cars, now he doesn't tow cars anymore, the guy is a liar.

And now back to the original programming already in progress...

Psycho, perhaps the people that fly the flag in ways which it was never intended have honorable intentions. I've heard people butcher the english language and I don't think less of them for it. If they are attempting to communicate, that's enough for me.

I've seen people have accidents in cars...doesn't make them less of a human being. I've seen people who inadvertently hurt their kids...I didn't call child welfare on them.

I've seen people NOT flying a flag or doing anything else patriotic. I've seen people purposely stomp on a flag or burn it just to make a "statement" about their elective official's actions.

You know what? That burns me up more.

At least the people who are flying them (albeit incorrectly) are saying something nice...that they support this country. Their intentions are what counts.

Moi said:

Psycho, perhaps the people that fly the flag in ways which it was never intended have honorable intentions. I've heard people butcher the english language and I don't think less of them for it. If they are attempting to communicate, that's enough for me.

I've seen people have accidents in cars...doesn't make them less of a human being. I've seen people who inadvertently hurt their kids...I didn't call child welfare on them.

I've seen people NOT flying a flag or doing anything else patriotic. I've seen people purposely stomp on a flag or burn it just to make a "statement" about their elective official's actions.

At least the people who are flying them (albeit incorrectly) are saying something nice...that they support this country. Their intentions are what counts.

Very nicely said! Thanks!

Moi said:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Psychoblues said:
But only when it is tattered, worn and would be considered unserviceable. I burn it in accordance with proper flag etiquette and respect. Otherwise, I fly my American flag on a proper pole and in accordance with all directives and etiquette as I understand them to be. I find the treatment of our flag by the "me too" faction of the warmongers and otherwise unAmerican idiots that only use it to promote their businesses or hide their personal deficiencies offensive and downright unpatriotic. How much effort does it take to properly research and handle the Flag of our nation?

I burned my very first American Flag when I was in the third grade. A superb teacher supervised it's burning and spent most of that day explaining the proper use of and proper disposal of American flags. As it might surprise you, she was employed within the public education sector and extremely qualified. Her teaching has proven effective in my life for many years. Her expertise was certainly not limited to proper flag disposal.

My more conservative neighbors, however, fly their flags in inclement weather, allow it to become tattered, dirty, even touch the ground on occasion, and seem to use it for only partisan purposes simply shove their flags in the garbage can when it becomes so disgusting that even their shallow minds can no longer tolerate the sight of it. They then substitute it with another brand new American Flag that they equally treat with disrespect. Appalling is about the only word I can come up with to describe their actions. By the way, most of them don't even place a light on even their NEW flags. Misunderstanding? I think not. Intentional ignorance, I think so.

That's my rant for the night, do you have any thoughts on the subject?

Psychoblues

If you have neighbors doing that to the flag, you should at least mention to them the proper way to dispose of old flags. Some people just don't know. I was driving through a nearby town with my cousin and we noticed a flag outside a motel had fallen and was laying on the ground. We stopped, fixed the flag, and went inside to let them know their pole wasn't very sturdy. Turned out they had no idea it was that big of a deal for the flag to be on the ground.

It all depends on a persons intent. Some don't know the ins and outs of what to do with the flag, so they just need to be told. Someone burns the flag as a supposed protest, then hides behind the freedoms that very flag represents, that ticks me off. :usa:

Forum List

Back