I burn the American Flag

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
But only when it is tattered, worn and would be considered unserviceable. I burn it in accordance with proper flag etiquette and respect. Otherwise, I fly my American flag on a proper pole and in accordance with all directives and etiquette as I understand them to be. I find the treatment of our flag by the "me too" faction of the warmongers and otherwise unAmerican idiots that only use it to promote their businesses or hide their personal deficiencies offensive and downright unpatriotic. How much effort does it take to properly research and handle the Flag of our nation?

I burned my very first American Flag when I was in the third grade. A superb teacher supervised it's burning and spent most of that day explaining the proper use of and proper disposal of American flags. As it might surprise you, she was employed within the public education sector and extremely qualified. Her teaching has proven effective in my life for many years. Her expertise was certainly not limited to proper flag disposal.

My more conservative neighbors, however, fly their flags in inclement weather, allow it to become tattered, dirty, even touch the ground on occasion, and seem to use it for only partisan purposes simply shove their flags in the garbage can when it becomes so disgusting that even their shallow minds can no longer tolerate the sight of it. They then substitute it with another brand new American Flag that they equally treat with disrespect. Appalling is about the only word I can come up with to describe their actions. By the way, most of them don't even place a light on even their NEW flags. Misunderstanding? I think not. Intentional ignorance, I think so.

That's my rant for the night, do you have any thoughts on the subject?

Psychoblues

Psychoblues said:
But only when it is tattered, worn and would be considered unserviceable. I burn it in accordance with proper flag etiquette and respect. Otherwise, I fly my American flag on a proper pole and in accordance with all directives and etiquette as I understand them to be. I find the treatment of our flag by the "me too" faction of the warmongers and otherwise unAmerican idiots that only use it to promote their businesses or hide their personal deficiencies offensive and downright unpatriotic. How much effort does it take to properly research and handle the Flag of our nation?

I burned my very first American Flag when I was in the third grade. A superb teacher supervised it's burning and spent most of that day explaining the proper use of and proper disposal of American flags. As it might surprise you, she was employed within the public education sector and extremely qualified. Her teaching has proven effective in my life for many years. Her expertise was certainly not limited to proper flag disposal.

My more conservative neighbors, however, fly their flags in inclement weather, allow it to become tattered, dirty, even touch the ground on occasion, and seem to use it for only partisan purposes simply shove their flags in the garbage can when it becomes so disgusting that even their shallow minds can no longer tolerate the sight of it. They then substitute it with another brand new American Flag that they equally treat with disrespect. Appalling is about the only word I can come up with to describe their actions. By the way, most of them don't even place a light on even their NEW flags. Misunderstanding? I think not. Intentional ignorance, I think so.

That's my rant for the night, do you have any thoughts on the subject?

Psychoblues

Recently I was in Austin, Tx and I was at a new home development looking at a home to possibly buy. As I was walking to one of the models, I noticed the US Flag flying in tatters (I mean like really, really bad.... not just frayed ends) and it made me sick. I went back inside and told the salesperson that if they wanted me to buy a house there, they better fix the flag first. She just said, "I will call the main office and let them know what you said". No apology, no understanding, no NOTHING!

It was obvious the flag flies 24 hours a day without being lit at night (as it is supposed to be if flown at night) and it really pissed me off!!

Considering the state we are in with our Constitution, I want to know why you guys don't fly it upside down?

That's great that you treat your flag with respect. Maybe you could bring up in cashual conversation someday proper treatment of the flag. I think saying that they are intentionally ignorant is a little harsh though. They probably feel they are doing a good thing and maybe don't know the proper way to handle it. If they are flying their flag,they are obviously proud of it.

Why, thank you, Kathianne. But isn't it only American that others have their shot at self expression? I didn't take offense towards that fairly awful remark by HGROGIN. Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture? In other words, put it back for the rest to enjoy. This is America and this is particularly the United States Message Board where "Your Voice Counts" as advertised. Don't you agree?

Psychoblues

Psychoblues said:
Why, thank you, Kathianne. But isn't it only American that others have their shot at self expression? I didn't take offense towards that fairly awful remark by HGROGIN. Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture? In other words, put it back for the rest to enjoy. This is America and this is particularly the United States Message Board where "Your Voice Counts" as advertised. Don't you agree?

Psychoblues

Seems Hgrokit edited himself. I didn't see it, but whatever it was, he chose to care for.

Psychoblues said:

Psychoblues

I am the one that removed my post. Got issue with it? After all, as you state, we have the freedom of expression, that freedom also includes the ability to retract something.

But...bring it on if you feel so inclined.

Psychoblues said:
Here is a good place to start, if you're interested.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette.shtml

I don't have a lot of patience or understanding when it comes to jerks that constantly confuse what America is all about yet tend to proclaim it's values as their own. You gettin' my drift?

Psychoblues

get off the high-horse there psycho..... plenty on your side take the same position you are accusing others of taking.

If your liberal friends were not always calling for the burning of flags for reasons other than etiquette, you might not get such a hard time from some.

'Scuse me, HGROGIT. But I could never pretend to express your feelings better than yourself. I guess you thought better of your rather insane original remarks. Bless you. Go for it, cowboy.

God Bless America

Psychoblues

Psychoblues said:
'Scuse me, HGROGIT. But I could never pretend to express your feelings better than yourself. I guess you thought better of your rather insane original remarks. Bless you. Go for it, cowboy.

God Bless America

Psychoblues

Don't flatter yourself. I am in a magnanimous mood today. I will take the insanity comment with a grain of salt.

For what ever reason, I feel sorry for you and decided you bring yourself enough grief on this Board that I should not add to it...Today

I gotta hand it to ya Psycho, you're not bad for a liberal. Very few citizens, liberal or conservative, know how to properly care for a flag anymore. What really irritates me is people putting it on their car antennas (usually on SUVs) and driving around the country until the flag is worn down to the stars. I am an Eagle Scout and know most of the finer points of flag etiquette and have participated in a number of flag retirements, including one with only 48 stars, and it burns me up to see people either mistreating the flag out of ignorance or out of rebellion.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the flag supposed to be at half mast for a month only if the current president dies. I didn't think it was supposed to stay down that long if a former president died.

Hobbit said:
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the flag supposed to be at half mast for a month only if the current president dies. I didn't think it was supposed to stay down that long if a former president died.

The President can't dictate the terms of flying the flag at half-mast.

Isn't that "half-staff"?

And why are we not flying it upside down?

Nobody answering this one?

NewGuy said:
Isn't that "half-staff"?

ANd why are we not flying it upside down?

Nobody answering?

Because we are not in immenent danger... though I know you will say that, in a Constitutional sense, we are. But flying the flag upside-down is only to be done when a person is in danger of injury and/or death.

Forum List

Back