I bought myself a new laptop today!

Norton used to be such a huge resources hog, it worked reasonably well but slowed your computer to a crawl. And it didn't play well with Windows XP.

So, I was not pleased when my Internet provider switched from free McAfee virus protection to Norton this past year. But we wanted something that was updated 24/7 and was reasonably efficient and that we didn't have to pay extra for. So we gave it a try.

It still has a glitch now and then that bogs the computers down, but they are past their prime now so just about everything does. But we have experience very few of the problems with Norton that we encountered in the past.

Here is a pretty good review on the modern Norton system:

Make the bad PC stuff go away-Norton got Leaner and Meaner - Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 - Viewpoints
McAffee is just as huge.
There's no simple uninstall.
You end up on the phone or chat with support for 3 hours going through the whole uninstall process.
Just when you think you have it completely gone and you're free of it, the AVG or Avast that you've installed to replace it finds some lingering kernel of it and tags it as a Virus!! :lol:

Well you may be right, but that may be one of the problem areas they have reformed? Our Norton Security Suite comes with a full uninstall feature. I guess we won't know until we use it though.

The PC (Acer) is about dead, so I thought I'd buy myself a Mothers Day Present.

We went to Best Buy and I got a Compaq for $350. I am playing around with it, too fun a new toy!

OK, my question is: It wants me to install Norton Security-the 14 yo says "Don't do it mom! It shuts down your computer and after 30 days it's horrible!"

OK, is that true or false?

Thanks!

Norton is evil. I like McAfee myself.

We went to Best Buy and I got a Compaq for $350. I am playing around with it, too fun a new toy!

OK, my question is: It wants me to install Norton Security-the 14 yo says "Don't do it mom! It shuts down your computer and after 30 days it's horrible!"

Thanks!

Norton is evil. I like McAfee myself.

We used McAfee for many years again because it is a full, comprehensive program that is updated 24/7. So I wasn't happy at all giving it up for Norton but neither AOL nor Comcast were going to continue to support it.

I will say, however, that the intermittant scans and updates Norton does are not interferring with other computer programs as much as McAfee sometimes does. But both do bring things to a crawl every now and then.

Thanks!

I hate Norton,

I think they write virus to stay in business.

Thanks!
Bullshit. Load it with Linux Mint. Your problems are over.
Con Mucho gusto.

I have a copy of Norton Security Suite 2007 if you want it. :lol: It caused untold grief with my other system making some programs totally unusable. I trashed it all except the 'go back' program. I personally do not like Norton.

I used AVG, which is very good, and a few others and I am always looking for some improvements. There are excellent programs for free even that won't screw your system up. At present I am trying Microsoft Essentials Security, it's free and appears okay so far. Just for anti-virus, Malware, Spyware.

Lots of gurus in here can add a lot of useful advice.

Congrats on your new purchase, amazing what a few dollars can by today, and hope you have total enjoyment with your new system.

Forum List

Back