I bought myself a new laptop today!

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
The PC (Acer) is about dead, so I thought I'd buy myself a Mothers Day Present.

We went to Best Buy and I got a Compaq for $350. I am playing around with it, too fun a new toy!

OK, my question is: It wants me to install Norton Security-the 14 yo says "Don't do it mom! It shuts down your computer and after 30 days it's horrible!"

OK, is that true or false?

Thanks!

We went to Best Buy and I got a Compaq for $350. I am playing around with it, too fun a new toy!

OK, my question is: It wants me to install Norton Security-the 14 yo says "Don't do it mom! It shuts down your computer and after 30 days it's horrible!"

Thanks!

I hate Norton,

I wouldn't do it. There are plenty of free anti-virus programs that are better than Norton.

Thanks!

Download AVAST, and malwarebytes

Norton is just awful

Thanks!

Norton is just awful

Are they free?

Thanks!

don't know if that's true but i hate norton.

go for AVG, ccleaner and ad-aware and malawarebytes. all of them are free

Thanks!

Norton is just awful

Are they free?

Yes, they are

I would get a good ant virus software. I have mcafee.

I wouldn't scimp on this.

Listen to your posters, SuperMod!
Norton is a POS and AVG and Avast are used by IT techs everywhere over Macaffe or any other pay anti-virus.

I was told about Avast by an IT tech, and he was right, and malwarebytes is not necessary with avast, but I keep it to be on the safe side

Norton used to be such a huge resources hog, it worked reasonably well but slowed your computer to a crawl. And it didn't play well with Windows XP.

So, I was not pleased when my Internet provider switched from free McAfee virus protection to Norton this past year. But we wanted something that was updated 24/7 and was reasonably efficient and that we didn't have to pay extra for. So we gave it a try.

It still has a glitch now and then that bogs the computers down, but they are past their prime now so just about everything does. But we have experience very few of the problems with Norton that we encountered in the past.

Here is a pretty good review on the modern Norton system:

Make the bad PC stuff go away-Norton got Leaner and Meaner - Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 - Viewpoints

Norton used to be such a huge resources hog, it worked reasonably well but slowed your computer to a crawl. And it didn't play well with Windows XP.

So, I was not pleased when my Internet provider switched from free McAfee virus protection to Norton this past year. But we wanted something that was updated 24/7 and was reasonably efficient and that we didn't have to pay extra for. So we gave it a try.

It still has a glitch now and then that bogs the computers down, but they are past their prime now so just about everything does. But we have experience very few of the problems with Norton that we encountered in the past.

Here is a pretty good review on the modern Norton system:

Make the bad PC stuff go away-Norton got Leaner and Meaner - Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 - Viewpoints
McAffee is just as huge.
There's no simple uninstall.
You end up on the phone or chat with support for 3 hours going through the whole uninstall process.
Just when you think you have it completely gone and you're free of it, the AVG or Avast that you've installed to replace it finds some lingering kernel of it and tags it as a Virus!! :lol:

Forum List

Back