I blame Palin

There were numerous huge mistakes:
(in chronolical order)

Electing and mor importantly re-electing Bush as president
McCain voting with Bush over 90% of the time
Choosing McCain as nominee
Abandoning their simple yet effective experience criticism by choosing Palin as veep
Having no real strategy after national convention
Doing nothing but dishonest and sometimes vicious smears, instead of addressing issues - same thing that got Hillary
Saying the fundamentals of our economy were strong
Not taking responsibility for the voilent mobs they were creating

I highly recommend this article: NYT: Near-flawless run from start to finish - The New York Times

three reasons that McCrusty lost.

1. Bush
2. Bush
3. Bush

Exactly!

Vintij, your Avatar says it all. People were sick and tired of Boooosh and DICK stomping on the Constitution. Anyone who associated with these two was going to lose. McCain is an honorable man but he had to slide so far to the right and become a Boooosh lapdog to win the nomination that he lost the independents, such as myself.

The Maverick became a symbol of the hated Boooosh administration. Obama played that song until everyone associated this hated administration with McCain. That is how he won.

Look I am a registered Libertarian but I know what people are saying. Its time to point your finger and someone and I have been saying for months that Palin was a bad choice. When gen. Colin Powel based his endorsment entirely on the VP choice for Mccain, thats when it started to hit Republicans that maybe he made a mistake.

Either way, my point is this. As many conservatives have told me today and yesterday, If Sarah Palin is what the Republican party has to look foward to, if she is the shiny beacon of the future for this party......well they are in alot more trouble than we all thought.

Obama, the right choice for 2008. America has spoken, and Barrack Obama is our new president. Accept it, if not......im going to annoy you with the stupid "your unpatriotic" line that has been used on me since 2001 when I began my own personal anti-bush movement.

Clearly, you are no judge. I loved the choice of Palin. Was she perfect, nope, but then I've rarely if ever seen a "perfect" pick for VP. (Maybe when Dukakis picked Bentson). But, Sarah Palin does represent a rising star in the Republican party. To the extent that other Republicans don't like what she stands for, I think that says how far the Republican party has drifted from its Goldwater/Reagan/Gingrich roots. I think Palin represents those ideals with fidelity I haven't heard from Republicans for a long time.

There are personal characteristics related to Palin that could be discussed as to whether she was experienced enough etc, that have nothing to do with how well she represents Republican ideals. I think she could have used a couple more years and a re-election as governor to be better qualified. But since experience was not important to the electorate this year, I think focus on that is misplaced.

There will definitely be a fight in the Republican party as whether its direction should be toward the moderate (used to be called the Rockefeller-wing) of the party or back toward the Goldwater-wing. I came of age during the Reagan-era. I thought, foolishly as it turns out, that Republicans all thought more or less like Reagan and that's what it meant to be a Republican. I was more wrong than I ever knew.

The last time I voted "for" someone was 1988 and I was disappointed. I thought HW Bush was like Reagan. Nope. Every election since then, I've voted against the other guy. Sometimes the guy I pulled the switch for won, sometimes not. I got little satisfaction from either result.

With Sarah Palin, I can see some evidence that she might be someone I could actually vote for.

The first person I'd blame for the Republicans losing is McCain. He ran a really dirty, smarmy campaign in the party nominations, which carried over into the presidential run.

The next person I'd blame is McCain's advisors who told him that he'd be able to scoop up all the votes that the Dems were going to give up if Hillary wasn't given the nod.

Next.....McStupid again for listening to them and selecting Palin.

Final blame? Palin.......she was a big fish in a little pond in Alaska. However, when she was placed on the national stage, she failed miserably by not being aware of what was happening down here in the lower 48, as well as for not thinking that anything she said would be placed upon the news that night.

More than enough blame to go around. Bottom line? The evil fuckers lost.

Clearly, you are no judge. I loved the choice of Palin. Was she perfect, nope, but then I've rarely if ever seen a "perfect" pick for VP. (Maybe when Dukakis picked Bentson).

Palin was a gimick pick. McCain thought that he would be able to appease the Hillary supporters with a female candicate. Shortly after her first unscripted interview, everyone began to realize who she was. If McCain had chosen Romney or Huckabee, the race would have been closer. He took a chance and he lost. It happens...

I'm a registered Libertarian as well, but I wouldn't blame Palin. The problem is with the Neoconservative movement in the Republican Party, and I wouldn't label Palin as a true neocon. The GOP have got a bunch of LBJ-style neoconservatives that have to go. Unfortunately, Conservatives didn't really have a place to go, so that gave Obama the election. Obama only got about 400,000 more votes than Kerry got in 2004, and McCain and company lost seven million voters from 2004. In fact, this election saw 3 million fewer votes than four years ago.

The country is still apathetic and Obama won because Bush screwed up. I just hope Obama doesn't mess things up even more, but it's certainly possible given the fact that Democrats control Congress. (And as everyone knows, the economy does MUCH better with a Republican-controlled Congress.)

Yep, you got it about right!

Wow, if they want to run her in 2012 I'm good with it. A woman that spreads lies, hate, was found in violation of ethics law, spent more money on clothes than she let the campaign know about...she sounds perfect to continue the GOP tradition.

From the article linked in the OP:
The Obama campaign was provided with reports from the Secret Service showing a sharp and disturbing increase in threats to Obama in September and early October, at the same time that many crowds at Palin rallies became more frenzied.
She might as well stamp FAIL on her forehead and be done with it.

I know this is a view from afar and I don't, won't and can't know a country's mood for change. But it seems to this ferriner that until the GOP excises the Straussian NeoCons from their ranks that they will eventually end up a rump.

Just a wild stab here but - following the point already made - people in liberal democracies tend to be centrist and moderate and are rightly suspicious of extremes on the left or right.

The Straussian NeoCons are elitists, they don't believe in democracy and their influence shows.

Many of them are ex-Trotskyists which tells me a lot anyway. Trots are generally nutters and definitely not in touch with reality.

The first person I'd blame for the Republicans losing is McCain. He ran a really dirty, smarmy campaign in the party nominations, which carried over into the presidential run.

The next person I'd blame is McCain's advisors who told him that he'd be able to scoop up all the votes that the Dems were going to give up if Hillary wasn't given the nod.

Next.....McStupid again for listening to them and selecting Palin.

Final blame? Palin.......she was a big fish in a little pond in Alaska. However, when she was placed on the national stage, she failed miserably by not being aware of what was happening down here in the lower 48, as well as for not thinking that anything she said would be placed upon the news that night.

More than enough blame to go around. Bottom line? The evil fuckers lost.

Evil fuckers meaning white men of course. How could Palin possibly help McCain overcome the racial and gender hate that had been generated by the left ? The idea that she will run for president or VP in 2012 is absurd.

No true conservative or liberal could support Sarah Palin...
She's not ready for National office and she proved it..

Her statements speak volumes. Nobody forced her to say stupid things.
Obama's speeches were memorable.
Sarah's answers became comedy routines..

No true conservative or liberal could support Sarah Palin...
She's not ready for National office and she proved it..

Her statements speak volumes. Nobody forced her to say stupid things.
Obama's speeches were memorable.
Sarah's answers became comedy routines..

What stupid thing did Sarah Palin say? I listened to her dozens of times and didn't catch one, but clearly I couldn't have heard everything, so hook me up with a couple of links so I can check them out.

I want to dedicate the following song to the Republican version of Geraldine Ferraro

[youtube]gVI2m6cbYtI[/youtube]

have at it hate mongerer. Obama is not my president. I will never support hate.

I suggest you take a look in the mirror if you want to see hate.

Even though I was against much of what George W. Bush stood for, including the Iraq War I still woke up every morning and proudly donned the uniform of the United States Air Force. I still recognized him as my President and my Commander in Chief. Even when the Republicans were spreading hate and calling opposition traitors, anti-American, making accusations of providing aid and comfort to the enemy my loyalty to my country and to my Commander in Chief never wavered. That's the way Democracy works ... with a loyal opposition.

You, sir, a classless person and I'm glad that last night people like you did not emerge victorious.

Last edited:
Clearly, you are no judge. I loved the choice of Palin. Was she perfect, nope, but then I've rarely if ever seen a "perfect" pick for VP. (Maybe when Dukakis picked Bentson). But, Sarah Palin does represent a rising star in the Republican party. To the extent that other Republicans don't like what she stands for, I think that says how far the Republican party has drifted from its Goldwater/Reagan/Gingrich roots. I think Palin represents those ideals with fidelity I haven't heard from Republicans for a long time.

There are personal characteristics related to Palin that could be discussed as to whether she was experienced enough etc, that have nothing to do with how well she represents Republican ideals. I think she could have used a couple more years and a re-election as governor to be better qualified. But since experience was not important to the electorate this year, I think focus on that is misplaced.

There will definitely be a fight in the Republican party as whether its direction should be toward the moderate (used to be called the Rockefeller-wing) of the party or back toward the Goldwater-wing. I came of age during the Reagan-era. I thought, foolishly as it turns out, that Republicans all thought more or less like Reagan and that's what it meant to be a Republican. I was more wrong than I ever knew.

The last time I voted "for" someone was 1988 and I was disappointed. I thought HW Bush was like Reagan. Nope. Every election since then, I've voted against the other guy. Sometimes the guy I pulled the switch for won, sometimes not. I got little satisfaction from either result.

With Sarah Palin, I can see some evidence that she might be someone I could actually vote for.

It is true that Palin has political rock-star qualities and her views that the 'good old boy' system of American politics has got to be relegated to the history books as a bad chapter are welcome, but until Sara proves that she truly tolerates her American neighbors of all lifestyles and beliefs, she will never attract the oh-so important moderate vote in a national election and she will be forever relegated to local office or punditry on Fox 'News'.

Extremism in America is over, provided we educate our young.

-Joe

Last edited:
I suggest you take a look in the mirror if you want to see hate.

Even though I was against much of what George W. Bush stood for, including the Iraq War I still woke up every morning and proudly donned the uniform of the United States Air Force. I still recognized him as my President and my Commander in Chief. Even when the Republicans were spreading hate and calling opposition traitors, anti-American, making accusations of providing aid and comfort to the enemy my loyalty to my country and to my Commander in Chief never wavered. That's the way Democracy works ... with a loyal opposition.

You, sir, a classless person and I'm glad that last night people like you did not emerge victorious.

Thanks Article 15! This is what being 'American' is all about... Bush is not 'America', Obama is not 'America'... They are employees of America and WE are 'America'! They are ours to fire and hire as WE see fit.

-Joe

What stupid thing did Sarah Palin say? I listened to her dozens of times and didn't catch one, but clearly I couldn't have heard everything, so hook me up with a couple of links so I can check them out.

Are you living under a rock?

In an interview with Charlie Gibson she had no idea what the Bush doctrine was, she replied with "his world view?" One of the stupidest things I have ever heard

In an interview with Katie Couric she furthered her stupidity by continuing to believe that her states proximity to russia, gives her foreign affairs experience. Really stupid

During a press conference she was asked "what does the VP do" by a third grader, she replied "control the senate, get in there and make legislation".......one of the most dense things I have ever heard in My life, this is elementary political science, elementary US history to know that the VP does not "control the senate" nor does the vp "make legislation".

She further departed from common sense by proving in a press conference that she does not know why scientists spend money to study fruit flys. She mocked this field of research which she forgets to read up on, the very research that has advanced our understanding of parkinsons disease, Early identification of cognitive disorders and especially autism. One of the most important federally funded research programs of our time. Again, very very stupid.

Last edited:
Provided the democrats don't push a left agenda.

That is all part of the education process.

If Obama doesn't call 'Bullshit' on Pelosi and the other extremist democrats in Congress when they push extremist views or sell out legislation to lobbyists, we need to call 'Bullshit' on him.

Leadership in DC will help, but it is still up to us boys and girls. We must keep talking here on the board and call 'Bullshit' when we see it.

Support Dave the Publisher and your local Paperboy!

-Joe

Forum List

Back