I Believe in Miracles...

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
I Believe in Miracles...

The Link At The Bottom Right Of This Quote Box said:
18:22 Then Elijah said to the people, I, I only, remain a prophet of the Lord, but Baal's prophets are 450 men.

18:23 Let two bulls be given us; let them choose one bull for themselves and cut it in pieces and lay it on the wood but put no fire to it. I will dress the other bull, lay it on the wood, and put no fire to it.

18:24 Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord; and the One Who answers by fire, let Him be God. And all the people answered, It is well spoken.

18:25 Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, Choose one bull for yourselves and dress it first, for you are many; and call on the name of your god, but put no fire under it.

18:26 So they took the bull given them, dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning until noon, saying, O Baal, hear {and} answer us! But there was no voice; no one answered. And they leaped upon {or} limped about the altar they had made.

18:27 At noon Elijah mocked them, saying, Cry aloud, for he is a god; either he is musing, or he has gone aside, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened.

18:28 And they cried aloud and cut themselves after their custom with knives and lances until the blood gushed out upon them.

18:29 Midday passed, and they played the part of prophets until the time for offering the evening sacrifice, but there was no voice, no answer, no one who paid attention.

18:30 Then Elijah said to all the people, Come near to me. And all the people came near him. And he repaired the [old] altar of the Lord that had been broken down [by Jezebel].

18:31 Then Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, to whom the word of the Lord came, saying, Israel shall be your name.

18:32 And with the stones Elijah built an altar in the name [and self-revelation] of the Lord. He made a trench about the altar as great as would contain two measures of seed.

18:33 He put the wood in order and cut the bull in pieces and laid it on the wood and said, Fill four jars with water and pour it on the burnt offering and the wood.

18:34 And he said, Do it the second time. And they did it the second time. And he said, Do it the third time. And they did it the third time.

18:35 The water ran round about the altar, and he filled the trench also with water.

18:36 At the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, Elijah the prophet came near and said, O Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that You are God in Israel and that I am Your servant and that I have done all these things at Your word.

18:37 Hear me, O Lord, hear me, that this people may know that You, the Lord, are God, and have turned their hearts back [to You].

18:38 Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt sacrifice and the wood and the stones and the dust, and also licked up the water that was in the trench.

18:39 When all the people saw it, they fell on their faces and they said, The Lord, He is God! The Lord, He is God!

18:40 And Elijah said, Seize the prophets of Baal; let not one escape. They seized them, and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and [as God's law required] slew them there.

Does anyone still believe this happened as described?

You Sexy Thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
While I do believe in miracles and know that nothing is beyond His ability, I tend to think that there is something we're not seeing through the translation.
i.e. "fire of the Lord" could be lightning

This is about the only miracle in which I belive, and it's why she's the only entity to whom I pray.

z-1409.jpg

Did I mention that the video is a bunch of Victoria's Secret models dancing to "You Sexy Thing" by Hot Chocolate?

Yum.

:eusa_think: Is THIS the board where you usually get rep for posting gratuitous Hottie footage?

I have no doubt it happened. Miracles happen. Ive seen too many to deny that.

I Believe in Miracles...

18:22 Then Elijah said to the people, I, I only, remain a prophet of the Lord, but Baal's prophets are 450 men.

18:23 Let two bulls be given us; let them choose one bull for themselves and cut it in pieces and lay it on the wood but put no fire to it. I will dress the other bull, lay it on the wood, and put no fire to it.

18:24 Then you call on the name of your god, and I will call on the name of the Lord; and the One Who answers by fire, let Him be God. And all the people answered, It is well spoken.

18:25 Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, Choose one bull for yourselves and dress it first, for you are many; and call on the name of your god, but put no fire under it.

18:26 So they took the bull given them, dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning until noon, saying, O Baal, hear {and} answer us! But there was no voice; no one answered. And they leaped upon {or} limped about the altar they had made.

18:27 At noon Elijah mocked them, saying, Cry aloud, for he is a god; either he is musing, or he has gone aside, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened.

18:28 And they cried aloud and cut themselves after their custom with knives and lances until the blood gushed out upon them.

18:29 Midday passed, and they played the part of prophets until the time for offering the evening sacrifice, but there was no voice, no answer, no one who paid attention.

18:30 Then Elijah said to all the people, Come near to me. And all the people came near him. And he repaired the [old] altar of the Lord that had been broken down [by Jezebel].

18:31 Then Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, to whom the word of the Lord came, saying, Israel shall be your name.

18:32 And with the stones Elijah built an altar in the name [and self-revelation] of the Lord. He made a trench about the altar as great as would contain two measures of seed.

18:33 He put the wood in order and cut the bull in pieces and laid it on the wood and said, Fill four jars with water and pour it on the burnt offering and the wood.

18:34 And he said, Do it the second time. And they did it the second time. And he said, Do it the third time. And they did it the third time.

18:35 The water ran round about the altar, and he filled the trench also with water.

18:36 At the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, Elijah the prophet came near and said, O Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that You are God in Israel and that I am Your servant and that I have done all these things at Your word.

18:37 Hear me, O Lord, hear me, that this people may know that You, the Lord, are God, and have turned their hearts back [to You].

18:38 Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt sacrifice and the wood and the stones and the dust, and also licked up the water that was in the trench.

18:39 When all the people saw it, they fell on their faces and they said, The Lord, He is God! The Lord, He is God!

18:40 And Elijah said, Seize the prophets of Baal; let not one escape. They seized them, and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and [as God's law required] slew them there.

You Sexy Thing!

No!

I Believe in Miracles...

You Sexy Thing!

No!

I have to admit, if it isn't obvious from my opening post, that I'm with you.

:eusa_think: If only the miraculous had continued into the eras of verifiable history - that would certainly make miracles in general, and those reported in The Holy Books more believable.

I have no doubt it happened. Miracles happen. Ive seen too many to deny that.

Do you have reasons to believe? Other than your faith of course, which only a fool would call in to question.

Do you have links to any evidence of miracles, or is your statement based on personal experience?

The miracles of Jesus I see more as parables than actual events, which in my opinion give more meaning to them. Making limbs whole, making the blind see, driving demons out. Follow his lessons of love and goodwill toward one's neighbors, you will see these things metaphorically.

I haven't studied enough of the Old Testament about such stories, but I have little doubt I can apply the same principle. Still there is so much violent imagery in there, but it was in a different time that has to be accounted for. But no, not on a physically exact method as described here on a material plane.

Until then, I am more attuned to the New Testament, not being one who follows Judaism. God didn't call me out from Egypt, He calls me out of my current situation.

And I will do the best as I see fit. Not as others dictate to me.

The miracles of Jesus I see more as parables than actual events, which in my opinion give more meaning to them. Making limbs whole, making the blind see, driving demons out. Follow his lessons of love and goodwill toward one's neighbors, you will see these things metaphorically.

I haven't studied enough of the Old Testament about such stories, but I have little doubt I can apply the same principle. Still there is so much violent imagery in there, but it was in a different time that has to be accounted for. But no, not on a physically exact method as described here on a material plane.

Until then, I am more attuned to the New Testament, not being one who follows Judaism. God didn't call me out from Egypt, He calls me out of my current situation.

What about the "biggie" - JC walking out of His tomb 3 days later positively aglow?

If that one is believable, why not fire from heaven?

What about the "biggie" - JC walking out of His tomb 3 days later positively aglow?

If that one is believable, why not fire from heaven?

Like I said, I see it as a parable. Follow his teachings and you can be transformed into a new way of life. The death of the old you and the birth of a new you, following his example.

I wake up every day in this body.

The laws of the physicial universe work.

THAT is the miracle.

Sadly life is so commonly miraculous that most of us tend to discounts its importance and seek out burning bushes or parting seas to be spiritually inspired.

LOOK at the world! Look at the sky, Look at the sea.

This all isn't miraculous?

Forum List

Back