I believe in God, but CAN NOT believe in organized religion.

he lived only for Christmas in the last years of his wonderful life - fully in the grace of god. Unfortunatelly one day his cancer killed him ...
You provided a good example for why science & religion are completely separate world views.
Agnostics are not delusional, and are emotionally secure.
I am an Agnostics. So thank you for your "praise" - but emotional stability has not a lot to do with ideas about epistemology. Agnosticism says for example that Atheism is just simple a belief. But Agnosticism itselve is not able to be a belief on reasons of philosophy and/or logic.
I see agnosticism as more of a method than belief. Similar to scientific method.
Agnostics say "i don't know unless there's a reason i should know", like having experience or trustworthy knowledge/evidence about something.

The famous agnostic said it this way:
"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know."
(Robert Ingersoll)
What kind of method? If you are an Agnostics then you are not able to find out wether god exists or not. Never. You don't believe in god. You are an atheist. That's your decision. That's your belief.
---
I thought you said you were agnostic.

I am agnostic. Agnosticism is not a belief: Agnosticism is a philosophy and shows that no one is able to know wether god exists or not. So an agnostics knows that the belief in god is a belief - what's somehow not very astonishing - and an Agnostics knows that Atheism is a belief too, although most atheist believe they don't believe - what's a little more astonishing than the belief of Christians.

The agnostic position is the scientific one.

I fear the most people who are speaking in the name of science don't have a big idea about the methods of science nor about the difference between psychological qualities and spiritual qualities. My brain is for example in a biological dimension a kind of reality simulator, which is able to find the spirit of mathematics in books about mathematics. Example: r^2 = x[1]^2 + x[2]^2 + x[3]^2 ... and so on. For n=1,2,3 ... this describes the radius of a circle in the Hilbert-Space. In general I don't know wether the world is existing (the world could be a holo-deck) - or wether our all toughts about the reality all around are correct - but in this maybe not existing world I find very concrete "spiritual" things I'm able to learn.

If you don't have ANY observations,

¿How?

no indirect objective evidence, and no logic, then as a RATIONAL person, you have to conclude "I DON'T KNOW".

I would say: "You don't think". The standard theory of physics believed for example for decades in the existance of the Higgs-particle. Then we found it in CERN. Nevertheless during the time where no one knew wether the Higgs-particle is part of nature or not the phycicists worked a lot by believing directly and/or indirectly in the existance of the higgs-boson and they had a lot of success in this time. So, what's wrong to do so? Nothing, isn't it? If everyone would know everything then no one had to search.

However, if one makes a ridiculous claim that "God" equals the entity described in Greek/Roman/Nordic mythology or in one of the Abrahamic story books, then YES, call me an atheist in relation to those claims.
Basic education in cultural anthropology, sociology, and developmental psychology should be required for everyone before getting a HS diploma.

:rolleyes: If you don't know what you are speaking about: Why do you try it?

Last edited:
You provided a good example for why science & religion are completely separate world views.
Agnostics are not delusional, and are emotionally secure.
I am an Agnostics. So thank you for your "praise" - but emotional stability has not a lot to do with ideas about epistemology. Agnosticism says for example that Atheism is just simple a belief. But Agnosticism itselve is not able to be a belief on reasons of philosophy and/or logic.
I see agnosticism as more of a method than belief. Similar to scientific method.
Agnostics say "i don't know unless there's a reason i should know", like having experience or trustworthy knowledge/evidence about something.

The famous agnostic said it this way:
"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know."
(Robert Ingersoll)
What kind of method? If you are an Agnostics then you are not able to find out wether god exists or not. Never. You don't believe in god. You are an atheist. That's your decision. That's your belief.
---
I thought you said you were agnostic.

I am agnostic. Agnosticism is not a belief: Agnosticism is a philosophy and shows that no one is able to know wether god exists or not. So an agnostics knows that the belief in god is a belief - what's somehow not very astonishing - and an Agnostics knows that Atheism is a belief too, although most atheist believe they don't believe - what's a little more astonishing than the belief of Christians.

The agnostic position is the scientific one.

I fear the most people who are speaking in the name of science don't have a big idea about the methods of science nor about the difference between psychological qualities and spiritual qualities. My brain is for example in a biological dimension a kind of reality simulator, which is able to find the spirit of mathematics in books about mathematics. Example: r^2 = x[1]^2 + x[2]^2 + x[3]^2 ... and so on. For n=1,2,3 ... this describes the radius of a circle in the Hilbert-Space. In general I don't know wether the world is existing (the world could be a holo-deck) - or wether our all toughts about the reality all around are correct - but in this maybe not existing world I find very concrete "spiritual" things I'm able to learn.

If you don't have ANY observations,

¿How?

no indirect objective evidence, and no logic, then as a RATIONAL person, you have to conclude "I DON'T KNOW".

I would say: "You don't think". The standard theory of physics believed for example for decades in the existance of the Higgs-particle. Then we found it in CERN. Nevertheless during the time where no one knew wether the Higgs-particle is part of nature or not the phycicists worked a lot by believing directly and/or indirectly in the existance of the higgs-boson and they had a lot of success in this time. So, what's wrong to do so? Nothing, isn't it? If everyone would know everything then no one had to search.

However, if one makes a ridiculous claim that "God" equals the entity described in Greek/Roman/Nordic mythology or in one of the Abrahamic story books, then YES, call me an atheist in relation to those claims.
Basic education in cultural anthropology, sociology, and developmental psychology should be required for everyone before getting a HS diploma.

:rolleyes: If you don't know what you are speaking about: Why do you try it?
Ya, please dumb down your answers for zaan, he struggles with the 8th grade.

I was raised without God in my household. I found God on my own journey. I speak to God regularly. I've tried different denominations and am grateful for anything I've learned from those visits.... However... Catholicism. Wow. This is one organization that has me thinking it's anything but holy. One prime example:
If you have opened the good book, you are sure to have heard about this place called Sodom and Gomorrah. God IS a forgiving one.. But I am pretty sure he had a boiling point. You really think that a guy on the other side of a closet wall is the "chosen" one to give you forgiveness??! The one who just finished up "teaching lessons to his alter boys"??! And I am not ignorant, I understand NOT every priest did such horrific acts... But the hierarchy of the guys that did, in which they go to for forgiveness, chose to simply spread the gift of pedophilia to a different location. This religion and the whole confession/oath of secrecy pretty much sums up the type of follower. "You can commit any sin in this world, regardless of how disgusting and despicable it may be, then step into a closet, confess these actions to a person who can not tell regardless of how dangerous the person may be, and ask THEM to FORGIVE you. Lol. C'mon. I have a hard time believing God will turn a blind eye on judgement day to those who robbed this earth of his most precious gift... The innocence of a child. I mean, he had so much pity on those who dwelled in that city he turned to dust... Right??! No. He actually ended the existence of anyone who was tempted to simply turn back and look! Call this what you will... I'm not making the judgement call. Simply pointing out cold, hard facts written in the Bible. And this isn't prompted specifically by what a priest did to my child. It's prompted by a member of the church whom simply feels accepted by such faith in doing what he does and "knowing" if he repents, he has his ticket to Heaven. If this is true, it isn't a place I want my kids or self subjected to. But I know better.
So do your religion a favor and stop tolerating actions that the Bible clearly states is inexcusable. Don't you see this is the very reason more and more people do not attend church and even stop believing in God all together??!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Religion is mans attempt to control spirituality. Most religions have so much blood on their hands its amazing. The christian religion doesnt even make sense. Anytime you have a religion that claims its monotheistic but prays to 2 dudes and a ghost you have issues. Where is the inherent duality and common sense that there has to be a female? There is no way females came from a man. A woman had to give birth to a man.

I was raised without God in my household. I found God on my own journey. I speak to God regularly. I've tried different denominations and am grateful for anything I've learned from those visits.... However... Catholicism. Wow. This is one organization that has me thinking it's anything but holy. One prime example:
If you have opened the good book, you are sure to have heard about this place called Sodom and Gomorrah. God IS a forgiving one.. But I am pretty sure he had a boiling point. You really think that a guy on the other side of a closet wall is the "chosen" one to give you forgiveness??! The one who just finished up "teaching lessons to his alter boys"??! And I am not ignorant, I understand NOT every priest did such horrific acts... But the hierarchy of the guys that did, in which they go to for forgiveness, chose to simply spread the gift of pedophilia to a different location. This religion and the whole confession/oath of secrecy pretty much sums up the type of follower. "You can commit any sin in this world, regardless of how disgusting and despicable it may be, then step into a closet, confess these actions to a person who can not tell regardless of how dangerous the person may be, and ask THEM to FORGIVE you. Lol. C'mon. I have a hard time believing God will turn a blind eye on judgement day to those who robbed this earth of his most precious gift... The innocence of a child. I mean, he had so much pity on those who dwelled in that city he turned to dust... Right??! No. He actually ended the existence of anyone who was tempted to simply turn back and look! Call this what you will... I'm not making the judgement call. Simply pointing out cold, hard facts written in the Bible. And this isn't prompted specifically by what a priest did to my child. It's prompted by a member of the church whom simply feels accepted by such faith in doing what he does and "knowing" if he repents, he has his ticket to Heaven. If this is true, it isn't a place I want my kids or self subjected to. But I know better.
So do your religion a favor and stop tolerating actions that the Bible clearly states is inexcusable. Don't you see this is the very reason more and more people do not attend church and even stop believing in God all together??!

Religion is mans attempt to control spirituality. Most religions have so much blood on their hands its amazing. The christian religion doesnt even make sense. Anytime you have a religion that claims its monotheistic but prays to 2 dudes and a ghost you have issues. Where is the inherent duality and common sense that there has to be a female? There is no way females came from a man. A woman had to give birth to a man.
Bah humbug!

That is a very valid point....

Forum List

Back