I am so sick of this shit.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Grampa Murked U, Sep 10, 2018.

1. WEATHER53

WEATHER53 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,935
    Not sure what taking a knee over a falsehood can accomplish. Maybe make a lot of people Feel
    noble but no facts to back police singling out black youth.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Asclepias

Asclepias Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,621
    If there is a new anthem that would be great. However, since its author was a racist we need a new one. Besides there is zero reason to basically be praying to a flag.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  3. Asclepias

Asclepias Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,621
    They only get it when they go to school with whites. Every single time there was a lice warning in our childrens school the kid was white. Mind you that they went to school with majority Indians and Mexicans. Sorry.

4. Baz Ares

Baz Ares Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,264
    Better than on both knees praying to fake gods.
    At least they are getting results in the real world of reality..On one knee!

5. Slade3200

Slade3200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,583
    Oh come on, that’s taking it a step too far. Are we really going to start digging into the personal views of every historical artist who created music, art, buildings and everything else that might still exist in today’s society and then dismiss everything that was created by the hands of people we think may have had unsavory personal views? That’s ridiculous.

The anthem is not racist, it doesn’t stand for racism, it has no undertones or messages that reflect racial matters. It is what it is. You shouldn’t make more out of it than that

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. BigTruck

BigTruck Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +196

There is a third verse to the star spangled banner and it can be considered offensive.

7. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +46,314
    I agree with Slade; the song isn't 'racist'. Including the third verse. And the personal philosophies of its author are irrelevant here. The actual issue with the song is worse than racism: it glorifies war, the ultimate human Failure. It creams its jeans about "conquer we must". That's just primitive, and long overdue to be moved past. If that's the ideal one wants to represent one's country, one's priorities are seriously fucked up.

I also agree wholeheartedly with this:

Amen to that. Preach it brother. ;)

Standing zombie-like offering incantations to a piece of cloth is even more primitive, and the only thing worse is forcing other people to do it too. Like schoolchildren. Like captive audiences at a sports event who came there for an entirely different purpose. All that is is indoctrination by use of idolatry. We were supposed to have evolved beyond that state centuries ago.

[​IMG]

Fun Fact: >> Originally, Bellamy's pledge had included the phrase "one nation, indivisible, with equality, liberty, and justice for all." But several state school superintendents objected to the word "equality," since they were afraid it might be "misconstrued" to seem applicable to women and people of color. So Bellamy removed it. << ---Roots of the Pledge of Allegiance

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  8. Slade3200

Slade3200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,583
    How so?

9. Asclepias

Asclepias Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,621
    I see no reason to falsely celebrate anyone that has done dirt. Maybe my standards are high but I dont apologize for that. I see that as a virtue. I think its not only more ridiculous to pretend these people were great patriots we should be worshipping, I think its dangerous and foolhardy. I think it sends a terrible message to kids. The truth should be known about all these false idols.

The anthem is definitely racist. It celebrates killing Black people that fought to free themselves from slavery. You cant get anymore racist than that.

10. Slade3200

Slade3200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,583
    I have no clue who wrote the song or what their personal views were nor do I care. I bet most people have no clue either. And guess what, neither do you. You read something somewhere about the songs writer so you might think you know but you really don’t unless you had first hand experience. It’s a wormhole that is pointless to go down unless you are trying to light a fire of hate and division. It’s a song. Different people interpret it differently. Pogo interprets it as an anthem that glorifies war, that’s fair, but I’d see it differently. I’ve always heard it and reflected on those who died so that we could have a free nation, as well as those who have historically sacrificed so that we can all be here to live this day. This includes service members, our ancestors and the many others that have contributed to this great country.

There is no right and wrong way to interpret a song. You can decide to view it however you want. I just prefer to reflect on elements of this country that I love and respect when I hear the anthem and it makes it a beautiful experience.