I am so sick of this shit.

Thanks for the link. I hadn’t heard of the “Let’s listen together” initiative. I have heard of many of the player efforts that were highlighted in your link, which are all great causes. I hope they take it to the next level and create a better branding and marketing campaign around Let’s Listen Together. They should have a website, donation and volunteer opportunities, and clear measurable goals.

Wouldn’t it be a great day if a goal could be defined and reached and on that Sunday both Cops and Players can all stand together during the anthem? That’s a goal that we should all get behind.
If there is a new anthem that would be great. However, since its author was a racist we need a new one. Besides there is zero reason to basically be praying to a flag.
Oh come on, that’s taking it a step too far. Are we really going to start digging into the personal views of every historical artist who created music, art, buildings and everything else that might still exist in today’s society and then dismiss everything that was created by the hands of people we think may have had unsavory personal views? That’s ridiculous.

The anthem is not racist, it doesn’t stand for racism, it has no undertones or messages that reflect racial matters. It is what it is. You shouldn’t make more out of it than that
I see no reason to falsely celebrate anyone that has done dirt. Maybe my standards are high but I dont apologize for that. I see that as a virtue. I think its not only more ridiculous to pretend these people were great patriots we should be worshipping, I think its dangerous and foolhardy. I think it sends a terrible message to kids. The truth should be known about all these false idols.

The anthem is definitely racist. It celebrates killing Black people that fought to free themselves from slavery. You cant get anymore racist than that.
I have no clue who wrote the song or what their personal views were nor do I care. I bet most people have no clue either. And guess what, neither do you. You read something somewhere about the songs writer so you might think you know but you really don’t unless you had first hand experience. It’s a wormhole that is pointless to go down unless you are trying to light a fire of hate and division. It’s a song. Different people interpret it differently. Pogo interprets it as an anthem that glorifies war, that’s fair, but I’d see it differently. I’ve always heard it and reflected on those who died so that we could have a free nation, as well as those who have historically sacrificed so that we can all be here to live this day. This includes service members, our ancestors and the many others that have contributed to this great country.

There is no right and wrong way to interpret a song. You can decide to view it however you want. I just prefer to reflect on elements of this country that I love and respect when I hear the anthem and it makes it a beautiful experience.
See thats the difference. I do care. I educated myself on who wrote the song and why. Thats why I made sure my children never subscribed to the lies told by white historians. Because it always matters who you see as a hero. There are zero reasons to stick with a racist anthem simply because the dude was white. There are plenty of other songs that can be used for the anthem. The dude was a racist. He owned slaves and said Blacks were inferior. Its an open and closed case as far as I am concerned.

Its not a question of the right or wrong way to interpret a song. The point is that there is no debate. He specifically celebrated the death of Blacks that fought for their freedom with the British. You would have to a lot of mental gymnastics to convince yourself thats not what he was saying. In the US Open they sang some patriotic song that sounded just fine. White people seem to want to hold onto the symbols and sounds of racist whites. Its amazing to me that this is even a point of discussion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I hadn’t heard of the “Let’s listen together” initiative. I have heard of many of the player efforts that were highlighted in your link, which are all great causes. I hope they take it to the next level and create a better branding and marketing campaign around Let’s Listen Together. They should have a website, donation and volunteer opportunities, and clear measurable goals.

Wouldn’t it be a great day if a goal could be defined and reached and on that Sunday both Cops and Players can all stand together during the anthem? That’s a goal that we should all get behind.
If there is a new anthem that would be great. However, since its author was a racist we need a new one. Besides there is zero reason to basically be praying to a flag.
Oh come on, that’s taking it a step too far. Are we really going to start digging into the personal views of every historical artist who created music, art, buildings and everything else that might still exist in today’s society and then dismiss everything that was created by the hands of people we think may have had unsavory personal views? That’s ridiculous.

The anthem is not racist, it doesn’t stand for racism, it has no undertones or messages that reflect racial matters. It is what it is. You shouldn’t make more out of it than that
I see no reason to falsely celebrate anyone that has done dirt. Maybe my standards are high but I dont apologize for that. I see that as a virtue. I think its not only more ridiculous to pretend these people were great patriots we should be worshipping, I think its dangerous and foolhardy. I think it sends a terrible message to kids. The truth should be known about all these false idols.

The anthem is definitely racist. It celebrates killing Black people that fought to free themselves from slavery. You cant get anymore racist than that.
I have no clue who wrote the song or what their personal views were nor do I care. I bet most people have no clue either. And guess what, neither do you. You read something somewhere about the songs writer so you might think you know but you really don’t unless you had first hand experience. It’s a wormhole that is pointless to go down unless you are trying to light a fire of hate and division. It’s a song. Different people interpret it differently. Pogo interprets it as an anthem that glorifies war, that’s fair, but I’d see it differently. I’ve always heard it and reflected on those who died so that we could have a free nation, as well as those who have historically sacrificed so that we can all be here to live this day. This includes service members, our ancestors and the many others that have contributed to this great country.

There is no right and wrong way to interpret a song. You can decide to view it however you want. I just prefer to reflect on elements of this country that I love and respect when I hear the anthem and it makes it a beautiful experience.
See thats the difference. I do care. I educated myself on who wrote the song and why. Thats why I made sure my children never subscribed to the lies told by white historians. Because it always matters who you see as a hero. There are zero reasons to stick with a racist anthem simply because the dude was white. There are plenty of other songs that can be used for the anthem. The dude was a racist. He owned slaves and said Blacks were inferior. Its an open and closed case as far as I am concerned.

Its not a question of the right or wrong way to interpret a song. The point is that there is no debate. He specifically celebrated the death of Blacks that fought for their freedom with the British. You would have to a lot of mental gymnastics to convince yourself thats not what he was saying. In the US Open they sang some patriotic song that sounded just fine. White people seem to want to hold onto the symbols and sounds of racist whites. Its amazing to me that this is even a point of discussion.
So do you research the background of every artist of every song you listen to before you purchase it or decide to enjoy it? Would you like to provide a list of your top 10 favorite songs so I can do an analysis of the people who created those tunes? Do you take issue with the fact that the Cosby show reruns are still abundantly played on network TV? Just curious.

So do you research the background of every artist of every song you listen to before you purchase it or decide to enjoy it? Would you like to provide a list of your top 10 favorite songs so I can do an analysis of the people who created those tunes? Do you take issue with the fact that the Cosby show reruns are still abundantly played on network TV? Just curious.
Not sure what you mean by your question? None of the people I listen to have written a national anthem. I am not expected to stand in reverence to any of the songs written by the people I listen to. Why would I research their backgrounds?

No I dont have a problem with the Cosbys. I love the show. Not once in the show does he tell people to rape women. On the contrary the show is the exact opposite of what he was charged with.

Here are my favorite artists.

Asher Otto
Raphael Saadiq
Anthony Hamilton
Mali Music
Musiq Soulchild
Stephen Marley
Black Thought
Jill Scott
Wyclef
Lauryn Hill
Erykah Badu

Last edited:

Not sure what you mean by your question? None of the people I listen to have written a national anthem. I am not expected to stand in reverence to any of the songs written by the people I listen to. Why would I research their backgrounds?

No I dont have a problem with the Cosbys. I love the show. Not once in the show does he tell people to rape women. On the contrary the show is the exact opposite of what he was charged with.

Asher Otto
Raphael Saadiq
Anthony Hamilton
Mali Music
Musiq Soulchild
Stephen Marley
Black Thought
Jill Scott
Wyclef
Lauryn Hill
Erykah Badu
I appreciate the direct answers to questions, so many on this board just spin and divert.

I brought up other artists because I’d think your argument could apply to artists in general even though their music is not an anthem. If you are a fan of a song but it was written or performed by somebody who has unsavory personal views or actions then would that mean you should not be able to enjoy their music?

I brought up Cosby because it is a similar scenario and I think you and I are making the same points. You don’t mind the Cosby show because the Cosby show in itself does not promote raping women, it’s a great show. However the main character is a convicted abuser of women.

The Star Spangled Banner is an anthem to our flag and our country. It is about a battle that was fought for our freedom and independence and stands as a symbol for our country. It has nothing to do with racism. The writer of the song may of had those views, I’ll take your word on it, but the song writer is hardly known, acknowledged, or celebrated when the anthem is played. The song in itself, like the Cosby show, does not reflect the unsavory elements of its creator.

The Cosby show is named after the man himself and we are actually watching, bonding and relating with the man who raped women as he plays a character. I personally don’t have a problem with the Cosby show, I grew up watching it, but for the sake of this debate, when comparing the Cosby show and the SSB, I’d think the Cosby show is a larger offense or at the very least, the two arguments are equal in principle.

I don’t know anything about who or how it was written but it’s racist. Pretty sure by now that anything that liberals don’t feel solid about is racist, sexist, etc

Asher Otto
Raphael Saadiq
Anthony Hamilton
Mali Music
Musiq Soulchild
Stephen Marley
Black Thought
Jill Scott
Wyclef
Lauryn Hill
Erykah Badu
I appreciate the direct answers to questions, so many on this board just spin and divert.

I brought up other artists because I’d think your argument could apply to artists in general even though their music is not an anthem. If you are a fan of a song but it was written or performed by somebody who has unsavory personal views or actions then would that mean you should not be able to enjoy their music?

I brought up Cosby because it is a similar scenario and I think you and I are making the same points. You don’t mind the Cosby show because the Cosby show in itself does not promote raping women, it’s a great show. However the main character is a convicted abuser of women.

The Star Spangled Banner is an anthem to our flag and our country. It is about a battle that was fought for our freedom and independence and stands as a symbol for our country. It has nothing to do with racism. The writer of the song may of had those views, I’ll take your word on it, but the song writer is hardly known, acknowledged, or celebrated when the anthem is played. The song in itself, like the Cosby show, does not reflect the unsavory elements of its creator.

The Cosby show is named after the man himself and we are actually watching, bonding and relating with the man who raped women as he plays a character. I personally don’t have a problem with the Cosby show, I grew up watching it, but for the sake of this debate, when comparing the Cosby show and the SSB, I’d think the Cosby show is a larger offense or at the very least, the two arguments are equal in principle.
Let me get this straight. Lets say Cosby is truly guilty of the crimes. You think they are worse than someone that owned slaves and was a racist? You do realize lots of slave owners raped Black women dont you?

Both sides are like a bunch of fucking children.

And for a national news/punditry program to lead with it just goes to show that the side shows are more important to the hacks on both sides rather than the real issues we face as a nation.

what a whiny snowflake U R; get over the freedom of speech that you (obviously) hate & move on wit yo lif'

how come he doesn't have the same freedom of speech the kneelers do?

if i paypal you $20, will you go be 6 somewhere else?

Asher Otto
Raphael Saadiq
Anthony Hamilton
Mali Music
Musiq Soulchild
Stephen Marley
Black Thought
Jill Scott
Wyclef
Lauryn Hill
Erykah Badu

Let me get this straight. Lets say Cosby is truly guilty of the crimes. You think they are worse than someone that owned slaves and was a racist? You do realize lots of slave owners raped Black women dont you?
If Cosby date raped women? He was convicted, do you not believe the verdict? I know that the crimes he was convicted of are horrible and vile. Slavery was a horrible thing as well but I have no idea who wrote the anthem or what exactly they did. It could have been just as vile, more or less, I don’t know... but whose offense is worse has nothing to do with my point.

pffft - i ain't got time to boycott all the stupid out there.

New Topics

Forum List

Back