I am so freakin' tired of the media

I think the Bush II and Obama administrations have managed to keep the economy from going into free fall because of a banking crises.

I think they are also shoring up things for the CORPORTACRACY.

Sadly the American pworking classes are pretty much forgotten.

The problem isn't that they necessarily are reporting falsehoods, it's more that their economic indicators measure the heath of the MONIED economy, and pretty ignore the indicators of the WORKING CLASS'S economy.

There is MORE than one economy in the USA, folks.

There's the economy of wall street, (that's doing pretty well) there's the economy of the military personnel (they're doing just fine) and then there's the economy of working people who are NOT well heeled corporate tools.

That's about the other 90% (maybe 75%) or so of the population.

That economy is in the shitter BIG TIME.

Maybe so, but it took a little over a decade to land in the shitter, and climbing back out of it will take that long too. The only thing that hasn't changed is the general attitude of people that the economy can be fixed just by waving a magic wand, and tomorrow everything will be back to normal.

Absolutely, but at the same time we are, with amazing speed, building the next bubble that I cannot see will last thru this year. All of this rosy reporting and a stock market that is insanely over-valued - the same greedy assholes that took this country down in 2008 - are on a blitzkrieg to do it again. And, just like in 2008, the media talking heads are ignoring everything that is bad - and gleaming with blissful fairy tales that the economy is blazing a trail to recovery. Well it isn't.
I would rather have a slow and painful recovery (but a recovery nonetheless) than a false recovery that collapses sending us much further into the abyss than now.

The economy is a funny animal. The more people think it's fixed, the more it is fixed.

All indicators are pushing forward, not just the stock market. It's easy to forget how fucked and free-falling we were a few years ago. But if you remember, where we're at now looks pretty damn appealing.

Sorry, but right now we're in worse shape then we were then. Much worse.

You just figure we're in better hands then back then.

Really? On which indicator are you basing this? Ya'know, besides the (D) in the White House.

Ironic that you accused me of the very thing you are at present doing...

Anyone who believes things are getting better has overdosed on the fucking Kool Aid.

You cant use the Kool Aid analogy.... its been deemed racist.

Sorry, I hate to break it to ya like that, but is is what it is.

The irony is the "Kool Aid" analogy was stolen from the Bush years.
Having followed the use of "Drinking the Kool Aide" as a part of the lexicon since its primary impetus i.e. Jonestown 1978, I'm curious what would the analogy you refer to be in the Bush Years?

Immediately following the mass suicide in Jonestown Guyana, it would not have been thought "funny" to comment comically on the tragedy; it was just too serious a topic. But people did ask how that could have happened. The nearest event we had was the German people with Hitler in WW-II as a comparison. No one that I know explained it in racist terms, irrespective that most but not all members were black Americans. But, by some it has been deemed racist.

However, "Kool Aid" was the quickest most facile take-away catch phrase, and at the time the questions about it dominated the public's consciousness, and it wasn't surprising it gave birth to a new cliché.

So, what gives the phrase such ironic significance from the Bush Administration that you refer to Maggie?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back