I am so freakin' tired of the media

So in other words, media shouldn't announce any good news, only the bad. Yes, let's continue dragging down the American public with nothing but bad news...

You seriously just said this?
First - it wasn't "good" news...or for that matter news at all.
They did the exact same damn thing with retail spending in January - HUGE headlines everywhere (and then consequently several threads here) stating how retail spending in January was highest in so many months. This was based only on a tiny slice of the whole retail data - they just decided amongst themselves to go ahead and assume the rest of the data was going to be the same. Well it wasn't. January retail was not only not up - but DOWN. Of course this news (the real story) was not so huge in the headlines but ran as a sideline story.
ADP data has shown to be a lousy predictor. But they use it anyway. And when the real data comes out - mark my word - if it is bad, it will not be the headline story for that day.

As Cali. Girl states - their job, NO - their DUTY - is to report news - good or bad.

Jesus - I can't believe you said the above.

Every economic report I read or hear that has even a slight tinge of hope to it propels people out from under their fears to go out and spend a llittle more. I don't think that positive attitude needs to be warped by announcing that, well, this isn't really good news at all, boys and girls.

Is the economy getting seriously stronger yet? NO. No one is disputing that. But every inch forward helps. I'm just fucking sick of all the fearmongering, period.

Absolutely, but at the same time we are, with amazing speed, building the next bubble that I cannot see will last thru this year. All of this rosy reporting and a stock market that is insanely over-valued - the same greedy assholes that took this country down in 2008 - are on a blitzkrieg to do it again. And, just like in 2008, the media talking heads are ignoring everything that is bad - and gleaming with blissful fairy tales that the economy is blazing a trail to recovery. Well it isn't.
I would rather have a slow and painful recovery (but a recovery nonetheless) than a false recovery that collapses sending us much further into the abyss than now.

Worst economy since the Great Depression.

Once they took over they claimed it was worse then they thought so they can't fix it lessin you give em 4 more years to do it.

Meanwhile CBS is telling us things are looking up.

I just wish they would make up their minds which lie they're gonna agree on and then stick to it.

No, they should just report it accurately, without putting a pro or anti spin on it. Americans are grown ups, we can handle honest information. Good or bad.

Oh please, you've been around long enough to know "grown-ups" who are able to decipher this or any other fact are becoming fewer and fewer.

Which is precisely why I think they have a responsibility to just provide facts. They can provide the facts without the spin in at least one program each day. That wouldn't kill them. It's not a question of either/or.... they could do both. Would not be hard. Ask yourself why they don't.

Who are "they"?? I heard the good and the bad about the weekly unemployment report on CBS, MSNBC, CNBC, and again on CNN this afternoon. :confused:

Angry I am so freakin' tired of the media
Today all over the economic news is "February added more jobs than expected" or "More jobs added to the private sector, showing continued recovery".

The President promised shovel ready jobs.The Vice President promised 500,000 new jobs a month....
The full effect of the Stimulus will kick in any moment now....Any moment now......Any moment now.
Any moment now
Any moment now.....

Wait I think it happened....Sorry that was the dog.

Any moment
Any moment
Any.....
An.....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......zzzzzzzzzzzz

They did the exact same damn thing with retail spending in January - HUGE headlines everywhere (and then consequently several threads here) stating how retail spending in January was highest in so many months. This was based only on a tiny slice of the whole retail data - they just decided amongst themselves to go ahead and assume the rest of the data was going to be the same. Well it wasn't. January retail was not only not up - but DOWN. Of course this news (the real story) was not so huge in the headlines but ran as a sideline story.
ADP data has shown to be a lousy predictor. But they use it anyway. And when the real data comes out - mark my word - if it is bad, it will not be the headline story for that day.

As Cali. Girl states - their job, NO - their DUTY - is to report news - good or bad.

Every economic report I read or hear that has even a slight tinge of hope to it propels people out from under their fears to go out and spend a llittle more. I don't think that positive attitude needs to be warped by announcing that, well, this isn't really good news at all, boys and girls.

Is the economy getting seriously stronger yet? NO. No one is disputing that. But every inch forward helps. I'm just fucking sick of all the fearmongering, period.

Absolutely, but at the same time we are, with amazing speed, building the next bubble that I cannot see will last thru this year. All of this rosy reporting and a stock market that is insanely over-valued - the same greedy assholes that took this country down in 2008 - are on a blitzkrieg to do it again. And, just like in 2008, the media talking heads are ignoring everything that is bad - and gleaming with blissful fairy tales that the economy is blazing a trail to recovery. Well it isn't.
I would rather have a slow and painful recovery (but a recovery nonetheless) than a false recovery that collapses sending us much further into the abyss than now.

I'm not even sure we live in the same universe. I never, EVER hearing ANYONE suggesting that the economy is blazing ahead. They ALL (including the President) say we are slowly recovering, and not fast enough. There are a lot of opinions on how to "blaze ahead" by taking this track or that track, but no one I listen to says we're on a fast track, yet. Not even close.

Sorry I dozed off there for a minute.....
Did the Stimulus Plan finally kick in....?
Well maybe we should give it a few more years.
Or maybe the trillions and trillions of dollars spent just wasn't nearly enough as Paul Krugman suggested.

So in other words, media shouldn't announce any good news, only the bad. Yes, let's continue dragging down the American public with nothing but bad news...

The problem isn't spending by consumers. The problem is nobody is hiring. Too many are unemployed. It's costing states billions to pay their unemployment checks. And Obama is about to renege on his promise to pay them back. The health care bill is going to dump Medicare on the laps of the states.

Banks aren't lending. Things aren't getting any better.

16 percent of the deficit is going to unemployment benefits. Until that reverses the economy won't improve.

The economy is a funny animal. The more people think it's fixed, the more it is fixed.

All indicators are pushing forward, not just the stock market. It's easy to forget how fucked and free-falling we were a few years ago. But if you remember, where we're at now looks pretty damn appealing.

Sorry I dozed off there for a minute.....
Did the Stimulus Plan finally kick in....?
Well maybe we should give it a few more years.
Or maybe the trillions and trillions of dollars spent just wasn't nearly enough as Paul Krugman suggested.

:lmao:

Whether the economy is getting better depends on where you live and what field you work in.

If you are:
In anything related to financial - party time!
In anything related to investment - fuck it, let's roll!!
In automotive/automotive related - we can finally buy new clothes for the kids now.
In green energy - pay cash for everything, it's all going to fall someday.
In education - gravy train is over.
In medical industry - another day another dollar.
In virtually any manufacturing not related to above industries - look for even more vacant monstrosities in a town near you.
In housing - you have no hair left, better find something else to pull out.
In advertising - let's jump on this social media thing before everyone figures out it's just hot air...and we have fun messing with each other building mazes out of all the empty cubicle walls.
In the restaurant industry - we gotta figure out how to sell something for $.89 - it's all gravy after that. (no pun intended)
Unemployed - ahhhhh....ain't life grand...think I'll have another coffee before I go back to bed.

The economy is a funny animal. The more people think it's fixed, the more it is fixed.

All indicators are pushing forward, not just the stock market. It's easy to forget how fucked and free-falling we were a few years ago. But if you remember, where we're at now looks pretty damn appealing.

Sorry, but right now we're in worse shape then we were then. Much worse.

You just figure we're in better hands then back then.

Today all over the economic news is "February added more jobs than expected" or "More jobs added to the private sector, showing continued recovery".

Bullshit.

At least Rueters has the honesty in their article to tell the truth and state this is based on ADP data - and - that ADP data has been terribly unreliable to predict labor for the last year.
In fact the article goes on to say that "when actual data is reported Friday, it is unlikely that the data will show this improvement".

The worse? Fox News. Laughably right under this headline is another article -- "February planned layoffs highest in 11 months".

I am so sick of inaccurate headlines and false articles from EVERY outlet.
Damn

So in other words, media shouldn't announce any good news, only the bad. Yes, let's continue dragging down the American public with nothing but bad news.

Of course if this were some Republican administration, you people would be hoot'n & hollerin' over the "good news." I seem to recall a lot of fudging of employment numbers prior to 2009, where reclassification of jobs made the percentages look swimming, when in reality, they sucked.

And btw, I heard the same analysis Reuters gave on CNBC this morning. So much for the accusation. You just need to know how to LISTEN.

No, they should just report it accurately, without putting a pro or anti spin on it. Americans are grown ups, we can handle honest information. Good or bad.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the Bush II and Obama administrations have managed to keep the economy from going into free fall because of a banking crises.

I think they are also shoring up things for the CORPORTACRACY.

Sadly the American pworking classes are pretty much forgotten.

The problem isn't that they necessarily are reporting falsehoods, it's more that their economic indicators measure the heath of the MONIED economy, and pretty ignore the indicators of the WORKING CLASS'S economy.

There is MORE than one economy in the USA, folks.

There's the economy of wall street, (that's doing pretty well) there's the economy of the military personnel (they're doing just fine) and then there's the economy of working people who are NOT well heeled corporate tools.

That's about the other 90% (maybe 75%) or so of the population.

That economy is in the shitter BIG TIME.

The problem isn't spending by consumers. The problem is nobody is hiring. Too many are unemployed. It's costing states billions to pay their unemployment checks. And Obama is about to renege on his promise to pay them back. The health care bill is going to dump Medicare on the laps of the states.

Banks aren't lending. Things aren't getting any better.

16 percent of the deficit is going to unemployment benefits. Until that reverses the economy won't improve.

Your facts are faulty, expecially that last one. You can't possibly be serious.

Even people on unemployment are consumers, spending every dollar they receive on basic essentials, such as food, clothing and housing.

Banks ARE starting to lend again.

In sign of growth, businesses are borrowing again « New Hampshire Journal
In the last three months of 2010, U.S. Bancorp wrote $8 billion in new business loans, the most in two years. JPMorgan Chase added 400 midsize companies as clients. Bank loans overall grew for the first time in two years, according to the Federal Reserve.
"Companies are talking about growth in ways they haven't for three years," says Perry Pelos, the head of Wells Fargo's commercial banking.

Also, there is ZERO evidence that Medicare will be turned over to states. Medicaid may go the way of Vermont's experiment, however, which involved a specific set amount granted the state annually, and if the state can't do its own budget within that number, then that's the end of the money flow from the federal government for that year.

Exactly. Consumer confidence is a leading indicator of the health of an economy.

Forum List

Back