I am shocked the jurors are not sequestered in the Manafort trial.

It's likely most of the members of the jury have smart phones, even if sequestered they would have access to the outside. Unless the Court made them surrender their phone to the court. That would outrage any jury.

They have taken the oath to follow the Courts Instructions. If they violate these rules, they risk being charged with perjury.

You're correct, the system is not perfect, but it remains the (IMO) the best system of jurisprudence.

Proof beyond a reasonable doubt is proof that leaves you with an abiding conviction that the charge is true. The evidence need not eliminate all possible doubt because everything in life is open to some possible or imaginary doubt

Thanks, you're clearly a legal guy, but last time I did jury duty, we checked our phones at the door and picked them up each night on the way out. And that was just a two day trial.

I suspect that is a decision an individual judge might order. It has been my experience that the judge will instruct everyone in the courtroom to turn off the phone or he will have the bailiff take them.

It's likely most of the members of the jury have smart phones, even if sequestered they would have access to the outside. Unless the Court made them surrender their phone to the court. That would outrage any jury.

They have taken the oath to follow the Courts Instructions. If they violate these rules, they risk being charged with perjury.

You're correct, the system is not perfect, but it remains the (IMO) the best system of jurisprudence.

Proof beyond a reasonable doubt is proof that leaves you with an abiding conviction that the charge is true. The evidence need not eliminate all possible doubt because everything in life is open to some possible or imaginary doubt

Thanks, you're clearly a legal guy, but last time I did jury duty, we checked our phones at the door and picked them up each night on the way out. And that was just a two day trial.

I suspect that is a decision an individual judge might order. It has been my experience that the judge will instruct everyone in the courtroom to turn off the phone or he will have the bailiff take them.

I suspect that Idaho is somewhat weird. Thanks!

Oh - But I do have a funny story on first day of jury selection -
So, before the jury was selected (including me) the judge goes:
Potential Jurors - Please turn off your phones!
LITERALLY 3-4 seconds later HIS OWN PHONE BLEW UP!!
He turned redder/oranger than Trump.
LOVED that judge, deputy and their lunch order while we were in deliberation the next day :))

Forum List

Back