I Am Done With the Politics Forum

I think it's worth noting that we're all here for our own benefit, not someone else's. It doesn't matter what someone else say's or does, it only matters what you say and do. And when someone goes off on one of your posts, it's more about them, than it is about you. It's there perception (or reaction), which may (or may not) have anything to do with the point you were making. So for me, I just make the point and let the chips fall where they may.

If someone wants to have a respectful, intelligent debate, I'll reciprocate. But if they wanna play the asshole game, then I'll show them I'm a lot better at it than most. I know that's not really the best way to handle the "dicks of the forum", but it's a personal fault of mine, that I have to be constantly aware of. I seem to enjoy confrontation a little too much. But I'm working on it.

Now, get your ass back to the politics forum, we're running out of victims!

Well put for a Lefty. :D :) ;) The reason why we incorporated 4 different posting zones was to better accommodate individual posting styles. Not everyone is into confrontation, or confrontation all of the time. The Coffee Shop, the Tavern, the Hobby Forums reflect that. Hi-Jacking threads, derailing them, threads going on repeatedly for 50 to 100 pages of Yes you did, No I didn't, are pretty much ended (Thank God). Make your point, defend it, and move on, is the best philosophy on any board. You start digging in, you end up offending everybody and anybody you never had intention to. Save the heavy battle for the Flame Zone and Badlads, which are the most open forums on the site. Too many posters give them a bad rap.

My posting style changed completely when I started asking myself "Are you adding anything new, saying anything different? No? Then don't respond."

Personally I avoid the politics forum in favor of subject fora. The large number of posters makes it difficult to follow threads. People also feel freer to express opinions that they think are anonymous. The social restraints of real life don't exist on boards.

In my mind, I visualize some posters as being thirteen year old males driving a pickup truck at 120 mph over a dirt washboard road with a beer in hand, loaded deer rifle safety off aimed at the back of their head in the gun rack, a Jessica Simpson look-alike giving them a blow job, praying to their god that they go off at the same time as the rifle. It seems to catch the flavor of their posting behavior.
I understand your complaint but the problem is manageable. It's a simple matter of separating the wheat from the chaff.

The exceptionally high level of participants in this forum enables the elimination of annoying and gratuitously offensive time-wasters while retaining an adequate number of serious, intelligent participants. My Ignore list presently contains fifty-two names, which leaves plenty of intelligent, sane participants who are capable of serious, adult discussion.

I have never put anyone on ignore. I love a good debate with those who disagree with me. I love them all, Hugs.:eusa_angel:

Personally I avoid the politics forum in favor of subject fora. The large number of posters makes it difficult to follow threads. People also feel freer to express opinions that they think are anonymous. The social restraints of real life don't exist on boards.

In my mind, I visualize some posters as being thirteen year old males driving a pickup truck at 120 mph over a dirt washboard road with a beer in hand, loaded deer rifle safety off aimed at the back of their head in the gun rack, a Jessica Simpson look-alike giving them a blow job, praying to their god that they go off at the same time as the rifle. It seems to catch the flavor of their posting behavior.
I understand your complaint but the problem is manageable. It's a simple matter of separating the wheat from the chaff.

The exceptionally high level of participants in this forum enables the elimination of annoying and gratuitously offensive time-wasters while retaining an adequate number of serious, intelligent participants. My Ignore list presently contains fifty-two names, which leaves plenty of intelligent, sane participants who are capable of serious, adult discussion.

I have never put anyone on ignore. I love a good debate with those who disagree with me. I love them all, Hugs.:eusa_angel:

I go through phases where I have half the board on ignore, because hello sensory overload, or some such. I then routinely empty it.

There are some people that make me feel like I am swimming through tar when I debate with them, but I won't put them on ignore. I might moss that one post where they say something brilliant if I do.

There are some people that make me feel like I am swimming through tar when I debate with them, but I won't put them on ignore. I might moss that one post where they say something brilliant if I do.

Mr. Shaman – HAD to ignore him. The posts were just absolutely a mess and hey, there was ZERO chance that I was going to miss anything ‘brilliant’ there. You are more likely to get a brilliant statement from rderp.

Mr. Shaman – HAD to ignore him. The posts were just absolutely a mess and hey, there was ZERO chance that I was going to miss anything ‘brilliant’ there. You are more likely to get a brilliant statement from rderp.

Yep, and I had to do the same with Jakestarkey; the constant barrage of "I know you are but what am I" posts served only to derail discussion.

Those are the only two I ever put on ignore.

Has anyone else noticed the increasing idiocy of those posts? I can barely remember the days when there was intelligent, principled liberal-conservative debate. Now it is little more than cheer leading for whichever team one identifies with, regardless of facts, logic or civil discourse. I fear this is representative of the country as a whole, with each side seeking to manipulate the brainless masses. History does not suggest a good outcome...

This is why the voices of moderation should not be silent...they are often times the only ones that are correct.

This is why the voices of moderation should not be silent...they are often times the only ones that are correct.

Its the radicals who are killing of the Repub party.

The radicals of the the republican party have purged all of the moderates by using the primaries.

Not really sure about that, otherwise Romney wouldn't have won the candidacy, someone like Santorum would have.

Its the radicals who are killing of the Repub party.

The radicals of the the republican party have purged all of the moderates by using the primaries.

Not really sure about that, otherwise Romney wouldn't have won the candidacy, someone like Santorum would have.

I am talking about state elections and congress.

They can not rely on gerrymandering in a federal election like they can with a state or local election.

Forum List

Back