I am a proud Member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

The worst place on the battlefield for a Confederate soldier was leading a hundred black Confederate soldiers.

The worst place on the battlefield for a black yankee solder was in Sherman's command, where he was placed, out in front, often with few rounds of ammunition for his weapon, if he had been given one, for the Confederates to use up their ammunition on. They would be followed by the main charge of white soldiers, with plenty of ammo, while the Confederate's were waiting for carriers to bring them replacement rounds.

Tell me about myself.

Proud? Why?

Because it is who I am. Because my ancestors fought and died for something they believed in. They gave their lives fighting for those who couldn't, because they were bound together. And because I place honor and duty above all else.

I'm weird that way.

Good answer, though the cause they believed in was tainted by the institution of slavery. Even if slavery were only a contributory cause, the defense of slavery was not honorable.

You accept the charge given by General Steven Dill Lee in 1906:

"To you, Sons of Confederate Veterans, we will commit the vindication of the cause for which we fought. To your strength will be given the defense of the Confederate soldier's good name, the guardianship of his history, the emulation of his virtues, the perpetuation of those principles which he loved and which you love also, and those ideals which made him glorious and which you also cherish."

You are the male descendant of at least one soldier, sailor, or marine in Confederate service during lincoln's war to prevent Southern independence.

You have done the genealogy and can document his service, which was for the duration, ended in death, or was honorably discharged and you can prove your line to this serviceman.

I am a proud member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

What's there to be proud of?

Being the member of am army that fought a war to prove they were better than slaves and losing badly?

If I were you people, I'd be looking to forget about that mistake.

Who is "you people?"

That's sort of the whole point of this thread.

"You people" are you people who are still fighting that stupid fucking war of yours.

You lost, get over it.

Proud? Why?

Because it is who I am. Because my ancestors fought and died for something they believed in. They gave their lives fighting for those who couldn't, because they were bound together. And because I place honor and duty above all else.

I'm weird that way.

Good answer, though the cause they believed in was tainted by the institution of slavery. Even if slavery were only a contributory cause, the defense of slavery was not honorable.

I never said it was.

You have projected that onto me.

History isn't always as convenient as we need it to be, huh?

What's there to be proud of?

Being the member of am army that fought a war to prove they were better than slaves and losing badly?

If I were you people, I'd be looking to forget about that mistake.

Who is "you people?"

That's sort of the whole point of this thread.

"You people" are you people who are still fighting that stupid fucking war of yours.

You lost, get over it.

Actually, my paternal side won (and they were Confederates as well). My maternal side got their asses kicked, but survived and have prospered.

Can't figure it out, because it doesn't fit in your neat little box, can you?

It was about more than blacks and whites, slavery and freedom. But most don't have the time or the desire to even read the history.

I'm weird that way.

I never said it was.

You have projected that onto me.

History isn't always as convenient as we need it to be, huh?

True. Yet slavery was more than a contributory issue as far back as the Jackson Administration.

Confederates were treasonous and traitorous son's of bitches to the United States Constitution.

Sherman didn't go far enough.

My great grand daddy beat your great great grand daddy.

So who is your daddy?

My mom said the best part of the July 4 parade was watching the GAR guys in the parade.

All of them were gone by the time she was in high school.

Anyway, great grand daddy served with General Sherman from Shiloh to Vicksburg, where he was wounded at Hains bluff and taken prisoner and then exchanged. His wound was bad enough he was done for the rest of the war.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoH5x_xZDcA"]Japanese version Marching through GA[/ame]

"To you, Sons of Confederate Veterans, we will commit the vindication of the cause for which we fought. To your strength will be given the defense of the Confederate soldier's good name, the guardianship of his history, the emulation of his virtues, the perpetuation of those principles which he loved and which you love also, and those ideals which made him glorious and which you also cherish."

You are the male descendant of at least one soldier, sailor, or marine in Confederate service during lincoln's war to prevent Southern independence.

You have done the genealogy and can document his service, which was for the duration, ended in death, or was honorably discharged and you can prove your line to this serviceman.

If a man who is a descendant of a Confederate soldier, sailor, or marine decides to have a sex change and become a woman, will she still be considered a Son of a Confederate Veteran?

If a man who is a descendant of a Confederate soldier, sailor, or marine decides to have a sex change and become a woman, will she still be considered a Son of a Confederate Veteran?

So far as I know, it hasn't come up as an issue, though it is an added bonus point for those seeking leadership positions in the suvcw.

Last edited:
I am a proud Member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

Why are you proud of something that you didn't take part in?

I don't know?

Why are you proud of your parents?

Your favorite football team?

Your State?

Your Country?

Your siblings?

You didn't take part in any of them either, but I bet you feel a part of them, huh?

Its human nature to attach emotion to things and people we are involved with, or that brought us here.

Does being a Member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans get you a 10% discount on hotel rooms or any extra miles when you fly? Will flashing your membership card get you out of a speeding ticket in any other State except for Georgia? There are members of my family tree that were Confederate soldiers but I never knew them, and their life had little known impact on my present situation. So, maybe I'll hang on to my current membership in the Mystic Knights of the C.

My father was in WWII and fought in Italy with the U.S. Army's 10th Mountain Division.

I take pride in knowing this and might go to a reunion someday before they are all gone.

But, on the other hand, if we were German and my father had fought with the Waffen SS

I would be just as proud; as it's all about family and heritage. :cool:

Forum List

Back