I-5 Corridor Is Being Wired For Electric Cars..Wash State Leads Way!

What is all this whining about tow trucks and electric cars? There are thousands of electric cars in Seattle. The most popular one is called a "Smart Car". They have been around for at least ten years. I have NEVER seen one being towed.

I guess if you know yourself well enough that you don't trust your ability to plan your trips and read an odometer or a charge gauge then the electric car is not for you. You are probably the same dumb ass blocking traffic with your gas powered car when you run out of gasoline.

It all works out in the end...stupid people pay more and don't know why.

pics of smart car - Google Search

Its not just the towing. If a gasoline engine runs out of gas, I can just put more gas in and be back on the road. If I am in the red zone in charge, I am stuck for 30 min to an hour while I wait to recharge.

I also wonder about auxilliary equipment. Your heater and AC will run exclusively off the battery. So do your headlights. All these can drain your battery that much faster

People all giddy about talk of electric cars are also adults who get a tooth extracted, go home and put it under their pillow and check to see if there is $$ under the pillow in the am...........

One item here. Most people do not drive more than 40 miles a day. So, for an urban commuting vehicle, many of the present EVs would be entirely adequete. For those that go further regularly, a hybrid or very high mileage diesel would be the way to go.

Yes, but many want to do both. That means buying 2 different automobiles. That means 2 times the license, tax, title, inspection & insurance cost. There needs to be a plan where you can register & insure a gas & electric auto under the same plate that can be switched between the vehicles so only one can be operated at a time. Most would drive the little economy battery auto during the work week & switch to the big long range SUV for the weekend.

Or someone needs to build a battery auto that has a easily removable gas power unit that can sit in the garage until it is needed for a long trip.

Virtually everyone I know, including myself, own at least two vehicles. Most have a utility vehicle, pickup or van, and a high mileage vehicle for everyday use. Of course, this is the West Coast, and things are a bit differant here.

The latter suggestion you made is a good one. A very high efficiency diesel unit with a generator. A drop in that could be used for long trips to recharge the battery as you drive.

What is all this whining about tow trucks and electric cars? There are thousands of electric cars in Seattle. The most popular one is called a "Smart Car". They have been around for at least ten years. I have NEVER seen one being towed.

I guess if you know yourself well enough that you don't trust your ability to plan your trips and read an odometer or a charge gauge then the electric car is not for you. You are probably the same dumb ass blocking traffic with your gas powered car when you run out of gasoline.

Its not just the towing. If a gasoline engine runs out of gas, I can just put more gas in and be back on the road. If I am in the red zone in charge, I am stuck for 30 min to an hour while I wait to recharge.

I also wonder about auxilliary equipment. Your heater and AC will run exclusively off the battery. So do your headlights. All these can drain your battery that much faster

There are EVs that allready do all of this and have ranges in excess of 250 miles. The problem at present is the cost of the batteries. When the economics of the battery problem is solved, EVs will be the only way to go. A home owner can combine the powering of his home and vehicle, and suddenly, a solar installation is neccessary investment.

Directory:Tesla Motors, Inc. - PESWiki.

The Smart Cars have the worst Consumer Report Rating

One item here. Most people do not drive more than 40 miles a day. So, for an urban commuting vehicle, many of the present EVs would be entirely adequete. For those that go further regularly, a hybrid or very high mileage diesel would be the way to go.

I'm dumbfounded by this country's aversion to diesel passenger vehicles.

I am not only dumbfounded, I am disgusted that people in Europe and the UK can buy an efficient diesel in a Ford that I cannot. I had an '80 VW Rabbit, and drove it all over the country, 5 to 8 thousand mile trips, until the kids outgrew the back seat. It had 40 hp and did very well, 46 mpg. Now there is a VW in Europe, the Polo, about the same size, with a 75 hp three cylinder that you cannot get here in the US. And it gets over 70 mpg. Not only that, we can make diesel from sewage, using either algea or bacteria.

Diesel from these sources does not add to the GHGs, for it is cyclic. So it is just as green as EVs, and we have a mature technology that we can use economically right now.

I'm dumbfounded by this country's aversion to diesel passenger vehicles.

I am not only dumbfounded, I am disgusted that people in Europe and the UK can buy an efficient diesel in a Ford that I cannot. I had an '80 VW Rabbit, and drove it all over the country, 5 to 8 thousand mile trips, until the kids outgrew the back seat. It had 40 hp and did very well, 46 mpg. Now there is a VW in Europe, the Polo, about the same size, with a 75 hp three cylinder that you cannot get here in the US. And it gets over 70 mpg. Not only that, we can make diesel from sewage, using either algea or bacteria.

Diesel from these sources does not add to the GHGs, for it is cyclic. So it is just as green as EVs, and we have a mature technology that we can use economically right now.

ALways tooting his own horn about his superior intellect..............fcukking jackass takes his kids on a highway with a 40 HP car!!!!

27_2528833-12.jpg

Some of you...and you know who you are ..are just willfully ignorant. Here is a prediction for ya dumb asses. Major employers will start to offer free electric charging as a benefit for driving electric. Mark my words. If THAT happens it won't seem like such an inconvenience WILL IT! HMMMMmm???... driving to work FOR FREE!!! Gubmint workers too. An extra fifty to a hundred bucks a week in your pocket...ya that would be real dumb... AND the fewer people buying gas...the lower the price goes for everyone...HMMMmmmmm??...MORE STUPIDITY...

Once again for those that missed it..... 60 percent of all electricity made in the United States is made with coal or gas. Obama plans to get rid of coal fired electric plants and to get rid of natural gas and to rise the price of gas for cars so that only the rich can afford it.

So you drive 50 miles, stop at a charging station for 30 minutes, drive another 50 miles, stop at a charging station for 30 minutes, etc. So if you drive 50 mph, it'll take about 7 hours to go 250 miles.

I sure would hate to be in a life threatening situation ie being hauled to a hospital in an electric ambulance. You'd be dead after the first thirty minute charge.

That is because they usually toss them in the back of the truck.

6buz0qe.png

We all are, and I am glad of it.

You enjoy paying for rich people to charge their cars on your dime?

Ever hear of the REA? How is this any differant? We are making it possible for a new technology to get off of the ground. A bit of seed money that will go a long way. In fact, already has.

ReVolt announces plans to develop rechargable batteries in Portland | OregonLive.com

Swiss battery maker ReVolt Technology is moving its North American headquarters to Portland after the city and state provided about $6.8 million in loans and tax credits.

The six-year-old company that has developed a rechargeable zinc-air battery said Friday it will get a package of loans and tax credits from Oregon Department of Energy's Small Scale Energy Loan Program and $5 million from the U.S. Department of Energy's Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy.

ReVolt says it plans to develop battery systems for electric vehicles at its facility in Portland's Airport Way urban renewal area, at 12021 N.E. Airport Way. The company will employ about 150 workers.

It's the third bit of recent good news on the economic development front in Portland. Last week, Vestas, the world's largest wind-turbine maker, announced plans to locate its headquarters in the Pearl, adding about 200 jobs. Then this week, the Greenbrier Cos. said it will add 260 workers at its Gunderson manufacturing facility in Portland to support orders for new railcars.

ReVolt Technology
Product: Zinc-air batteries for electric vehicles and other products
Based: Staefa, Switzerland
Founded: 2004, as a spinoff of a Norwegian research institute
Investors: European renewable-energy and venture-capital companies
Chief executive: James P. McDougall, battery industry veteranThe announcement also feeds Mayor Sam Adams' goal of transforming Portland into a center for the emerging electric car industry.

"Welcome to Portland, ReVolt!" Adams enthused in the company's press release. "As a company on the cutting edge of the electric-vehicle industry, ReVolt is bringing to Portland its commitment to innovation and Portland is one step further down the road to being America's EV hub."

60 percent of all electricity made in the US is made from coal fired plants. Obama is trying to get rid of Coal fired plants. Where will the electricity come from the run these cars?

60 percent of all electricity made in the US is made from coal fired plants. Obama is trying to get rid of Coal fired plants. Where will the electricity come from the run these cars?

Maybe the electric car will be popular just in the West Coast, The vast majority of our electricity does not come from coal fired plants. It comes from melted snow and rainfall.

Maybe the electric car will be popular just in the West Coast, The vast majority of our electricity does not come from coal fired plants. It comes from melted snow and rainfall.

Provide a chart that proves your claim. Oregon used to buy electrical power from Nuclear sources in Washington State.

Provide a chart that proves your claim. Oregon used to buy electrical power from Nuclear sources in Washington State.

I don't need a chart. We have one nuclear facility in Richland on the Oregon border. As I said..the vast majority of electricity in Washington state comes from snow and rain.

Forum List

Back