I-5 Corridor Is Being Wired For Electric Cars..Wash State Leads Way!

Where will the energy to power all these cars come from? Windmills?

Inb4 someone replies; "From the charging stations."

Last edited:
Windmills, geothermal, solar, wave. Right now, we are having to idle some of the windmills because of excess production here in Oregon. Had we a modern grid, we could ship that electricity to somewhere in the nation that it is needed.

Well this certainly is the gayest theread Ive ever seen in this forum..........and there have been many but this one takes the cake.

Electric charging stations!!!!!

Awesome!!!! To charge the 8 electric cars that happen by the stations!!!!!

:blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup:

Oh.........pardon me.............and maybe a few of these.................

segway-2.jpg

So you drive 50 miles, stop at a charging station for 30 minutes, drive another 50 miles, stop at a charging station for 30 minutes, etc. So if you drive 50 mph, it'll take about 7 hours to go 250 miles.

So you drive 50 miles, stop at a charging station for 30 minutes, drive another 50 miles, stop at a charging station for 30 minutes, etc. So if you drive 50 mph, it'll take about 7 hours to go 250 miles.

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

With this battery, the Leaf would have a 300 mile range. A similar battery, Lithium Air, would give you 10 times the range. So, for one third the cost of the LithiumIon battery, the zinc air would give you a 300 mile range. For quite a bit more cost than the LithiumIon, a thousand mile range.

Green briefs • Electric battery company gets established in new Portland digs

Pamplin Media Group, May 12, 2011

Pamplin file photo

An OSU study found Johnson Creek cleanup efforts may not represent the community.
ADVERTISEMENTS

ReVolt Technology LLC, which aims to develop the next generation of electric car batteries, has relocated some of its top research scientists to Portland and expects to complete its new headquarters near Portland International Airport in September, says CEO James McDougall.

The company is working on adapting its rechargeable zinc-air technology to automobiles, as a cheaper and efficient alternative to lithium-ion technology.

The objective, McDougall says, is “three times the performance at one-third the cost.”
That means the battery would enable a motorist to drive three times as far before recharging the car battery, a crucial consideration for people considering electric vehicles.

ReVolt now has about a dozen employees here, including three European scientists who recently emigrated to Portland. The company expects to have about 25 employees in Portland by year’s end.

“Portland is our North American headquarters, but it’s also our de facto world headquarters,” McDougall says, “because the senior management team and the founder of our company spend a disproportionate amount of our time in Portland.”

With this battery, the Leaf would have a 300 mile range. A similar battery, Lithium Air, would give you 10 times the range. So, for one third the cost of the LithiumIon battery, the zinc air would give you a 300 mile range. For quite a bit more cost than the LithiumIon, a thousand mile range.

Pamplin Media Group, May 12, 2011

Pamplin file photo

An OSU study found Johnson Creek cleanup efforts may not represent the community.
ADVERTISEMENTS

ReVolt Technology LLC, which aims to develop the next generation of electric car batteries, has relocated some of its top research scientists to Portland and expects to complete its new headquarters near Portland International Airport in September, says CEO James McDougall.

The company is working on adapting its rechargeable zinc-air technology to automobiles, as a cheaper and efficient alternative to lithium-ion technology.

The objective, McDougall says, is “three times the performance at one-third the cost.”
That means the battery would enable a motorist to drive three times as far before recharging the car battery, a crucial consideration for people considering electric vehicles.

ReVolt now has about a dozen employees here, including three European scientists who recently emigrated to Portland. The company expects to have about 25 employees in Portland by year’s end.

“Portland is our North American headquarters, but it’s also our de facto world headquarters,” McDougall says, “because the senior management team and the founder of our company spend a disproportionate amount of our time in Portland.”

Oh.........excuse me..........I meant 13 electric cars would be using the charging stations. Not 8............silly me!!!:slap:

The OP article states that the charging stations may be up to 80 miles apart. In the real world most of these cars don't go that far. Then you call the tow company & wait 2+ hours for the tow truck to arrive & tow you 30 miles to the next charging station. Then you find someone else just plugged in ahead of you so you have to wait 30 more minutes. By the time they are done charging you have fallen asleep in the car. You are not going to make it before you have to get back home for work.

One item here. Most people do not drive more than 40 miles a day. So, for an urban commuting vehicle, many of the present EVs would be entirely adequete. For those that go further regularly, a hybrid or very high mileage diesel would be the way to go.

One item here. Most people do not drive more than 40 miles a day. So, for an urban commuting vehicle, many of the present EVs would be entirely adequete. For those that go further regularly, a hybrid or very high mileage diesel would be the way to go.

I'm dumbfounded by this country's aversion to diesel passenger vehicles.

This nation continues to cling to our automotive way of life in ways that simply amaze me.

Meanwhile China, the nation which spend the highest percentage of its GDP to combat the effect on its economy of world recession (and now has a rate of GNP growth to show for it, too) is building bullet trains and making major investments in green techology.

Meanwhile our leadership, that leadership that, over the last 40 years, has not only allowed but encouraged its competive advantages to erode in most industries, did what with the STIMULUS trillions?

They bailed out the financial sector.

Most of our neighbors, our fellow citizens, the very people this nation has been calling on for every war; the people this nation has counted on to help in every national disaster and crises;

Those citizens are left to find shelter from the economic storm .

This TOO seems to be another less heartening examples of American exceptionalism.

Our leaders do not seem to be preparing for the future that we know is coming, folks.

They seem to be preparing for the future by building gated communities, while tightening the noose around the Constitution's neck.

The automobile society, be it gas or electric or hydrogen powered autos, is doomed.

Not today, obviously, but sooner than we want to believe.

It is time for this nation to plan for the world that we know is coming.

Last edited:

Yes, but many want to do both. That means buying 2 different automobiles. That means 2 times the license, tax, title, inspection & insurance cost. There needs to be a plan where you can register & insure a gas & electric auto under the same plate that can be switched between the vehicles so only one can be operated at a time. Most would drive the little economy battery auto during the work week & switch to the big long range SUV for the weekend.

Or someone needs to build a battery auto that has a easily removable gas power unit that can sit in the garage until it is needed for a long trip.

Last edited:
I think electric cars have their place. I would just not choose one as my primary form of transportation.

I actually owned an electric car once. I bought my kid a Power Wheels. I would charge it all night and my kid would drive off proudly the next morning. 20 minutes later I would see my kid pushing it up the street dead as a doornail. When the batteries wore out, I found it would cost almost as much for new batteries as a new Power Wheel. Ended up throwing it out

Todays Electric cars are not much different. You charge overnight and if you exceed your range, you are dead in the water. Call out a tow truck. I don't know how long batteries last or what it takes to replace them. But I keep my cars for at least 150,000 miles and know I would face the cost of replacing all the batteries and paying to dispose of the old ones.

What is all this whining about tow trucks and electric cars? There are thousands of electric cars in Seattle. The most popular one is called a "Smart Car". They have been around for at least ten years. I have NEVER seen one being towed.

I guess if you know yourself well enough that you don't trust your ability to plan your trips and read an odometer or a charge gauge then the electric car is not for you. You are probably the same dumb ass blocking traffic with your gas powered car when you run out of gasoline.

It all works out in the end...stupid people pay more and don't know why.

http://www.google.com/search?q=pics...RBezWiALS86nyCg&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1018&bih=565

Last edited:

Forum List

Back