I <3 Joe Arpaio

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by GotZoom, May 4, 2006.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    A posse of 100 volunteers and sheriff's deputies will patrol the Phoenix area and arrest any illegal immigrants, the county sheriff said.

The group likely will be deployed across parts of Maricopa County by the weekend, Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Wednesday.

Volunteers will be drawn from the department's 3,000-member posse, whose members are trained and are often former deputies.

"It's important to send the message out to stay in Mexico and don't come roaming around here hoping you're going to get amnesty," said Arpaio, who in years past gained notoriety for putting inmates on chain gangs and issuing them striped uniforms and pink underwear.

Arpaio's deputies have already arrested about 120 illegal immigrants using a new state smuggling law.

"We're going to arrest any illegal who violates this new law," he said. "I'm not going to turn these people over to federal authorities so they can have a free ride back to Mexico. I'll give them a free ride into the county jail."

Under the law _ as interpreted by the Maricopa County attorney _ illegal immigrants can be arrested and prosecuted for conspiracy to smuggle themselves into the country. The law's authors have said they intended it to be used to prosecute smugglers, not the immigrants being smuggled.

Lawyers for nearly 50 undocumented immigrants charged with conspiracy to commit human smuggling have filed motions to have the charges dismissed.

A Los Angeles attorney brought into the case last week by the Mexican Consul General's Office in Phoenix plans to file another motion claiming Maricopa County Attorney officials are violating state and federal law because it's the federal government's job to control illegal immigration.

Both motions are to be argued in county court on May 23.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/05/04/D8HD34RO0.html

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    From a purely legal perspective this

is interesting. I'm wondering how it bumps up against the rule against self-incrimination.

There's also the issue of jurisdiction re the conspiracy. If the conspiracy occurs in Mexico and is carried out in the operation which then terminates in Arizona, for example, does Arizona (or the US for that matter) have jurisdiction?

Interesting read, thanks GotZoom.

3. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Absolutely. If an asassination is conspired in Los Angeles and carried out in Sydney, Australia, does the Australian Federal Police have jurisdiction? You bet your ass it does. Jurisdiction is determined by where the the crime is committed, not conspired.

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Thanks OTF - that's a good point. It's certainly the rule in Australia. Even though each of our states and territories is, legally speaking, as independent as a sovereign country (we're a federation), that rule applies. So if someone was murdered in Sydney and the conspiracy took place in LA or in Melbourne, the process would be the same. The conspirators would be sought for extradition, to be tried in New South Wales for conspiracy to murder.

So, following that yes, it must be the case that Az can seek extradition for the conspirators. Having said that I have to say I'm ignorant of US law on that point but I think more jurisdictions are accepting that in today's world putting up artificial barriers to fighting crime is counter-productive for everyone.

5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    I'm not sure if we really want our country of immigrants to be known for jailing people who come here to find a better life.

Enforce the immigration laws....deport them.

But a year and a half of jail time...not for the smugglers who get paid for this, but for human beings?? Is that what we think we should be?

6. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    All they have to do is follow the procees that all other immigrants have followed. These people have not and should be deported. Jailed? No. Just deport them without due process.

7. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,361
    Oh Jilley. We all wish we could live in Utopia. Peace on earth, love thy neighbor. Don't overrnun another country because we extend a loving hand towards you, then bite the hand that supports you......The land of butterflies and roses everywhere, where we all frolic together and love and peace is eteranl. I see that in my dreams.
    But my goodness, the real world wakes me up and slaps me smack in the face. But I say, why can't I stay in this dream state forever? It brings tears too my eyes. I think if only.
    It's gotta be us, we're doing something wrong. Why, why. we the free people should feel so quilty, it's us who thier country is driving them over here, so, WE should be ASHAMED. HOW DARE US. WE ARE THE BAD ONE'S, THEIR GOVERMENT'S ARE THE GOOD ONE'S.. SHAME ON US.

Reality Bites.

8. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    No, Steffie, fear and anger bite. As I said, enforce existing immigration laws. Civilized society doesn't imprison people just because they come to have a better life.

9. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,361
    Where are the prisons, Jilly?
    We are all for LEGAL IMMIGARTION dear, not your bleeding heart way about things. Laws are Laws, we all have to live by them in the United States of America. Except if you an illegal accourding too you and all the illegals. :poop:

10. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    Well, there's a certain (very) minimal level of due process due someone when they actually get *in* to the country. But I think we agree on this one. :)