Hypothetical: Abortion now illegal, now what?

Dr Gregg

Rookie
Jan 28, 2010
Please, no arguments here on whether you think abortion is right or not.

Let's say that the pro-life groups finally win and abortion is made illegal and an embryo/fetus is considered a "person". Now what? How do you prevent women from trying to terminate their pregnancy anyway, as this was done with chemicals and other methods long before the medical abortion was an option. it's silly to deny that even when abortion is illegal, some will still seek ways of having an abortion

Would women have to register once they are pregnant, and monitored afterwards constantly to make sure they didn't try to abort the baby? What would be the charges to the doctor if they perform an abortion? What would you charge the mother if they had an abortion? how would you even determine the difference between a natural miscarriage or still born and an intentional act on the part of the woman to lose the baby? Will there be a new division of police departments and a TV show "Law and Order: FVU (Fetal Victims Unit)"

These are things I'm willing to bet most pro life people don't even think about. I know many interviews with pro life people at protest against abortions, they are flabbergasted when asked these things.

You dont prevent the abortions.

You jail women for falling down stairs.

Let's say that the pro-life groups finally win and abortion is made illegal and an embryo/fetus is considered a "person". Now what? How do you prevent women from trying to terminate their pregnancy anyway, as this was done with chemicals and other methods long before the medical abortion was an option. it's silly to deny that even when abortion is illegal, some will still seek ways of having an abortion

Would women have to register once they are pregnant, and monitored afterwards constantly to make sure they didn't try to abort the baby? What would be the charges to the doctor if they perform an abortion? What would you charge the mother if they had an abortion? how would you even determine the difference between a natural miscarriage or still born and an intentional act on the part of the woman to lose the baby? Will there be a new division of police departments and a TV show "Law and Order: FVU (Fetal Victims Unit)"

These are things I'm willing to bet most pro life people don't even think about. I know many interviews with pro life people at protest against abortions, they are flabbergasted when asked these things.

If abortion is illegal because a Fetus is a person then the charge is MURDER. Murder for the doctor and murder for the mother. And no one is going to register anything, There will be no witch hunts. If people get caught they get caught.

The reality is that the best we can hope for is the Supreme Court rules abortion is not a right. Leaving it to the States to make their own laws. As was the case before Roe vs Wade.

• Banned
But the pro life people wouldnt' even win if its state's right. People would just go to the state that allowed abortion and get an abortion, and there would be plenty of them.

Plus its not really enforceable, which is what my point was. ANd frankly lead to more horrific black market abortions, and attempts at other ways to abort, which could lead to birth defects or other horrors.

The whole reason abrotion became legal again was the deaths caused by making it illegal.

In this hypothetical world, I'd imagine that pregnant women would be tracked through insurance companies.

I don't know all of the answers to the other questions, but the answer to one that you didn't ask is that the death toll among pregnant women would increase.

But the pro life people wouldnt' even win if its state's right. People would just go to the state that allowed abortion and get an abortion, and there would be plenty of them.

Plus its not really enforceable, which is what my point was. ANd frankly lead to more horrific black market abortions, and attempts at other ways to abort, which could lead to birth defects or other horrors.

Desperate women do desperate things ? They are unable to make sane decisions? God forbid that we should have another law that isn't enforced.

If they could afford to travel. In some states it is already almost impossible to get an abortion, since so few doctors and clinics dare to offer them in the face of death threats and harassment.

Forum List

Back