Hypocritical bigots

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Which bigotry is more widespread? Anti-Semitism or anti-Catholicism/Christianity?

Mel Gibson and politics of bigotry
By Brent Bozell III
Friday, August 4, 2006

The paparazzi news media can't get enough of this story, and some, like ABC's Diane Sawyer, can barely conceal their glee. The hard news covered, here comes the analysis, with this-man-will-never-get-another-job-in-this-town reports everywhere you turn, fueled by the likes of Arianna Huffington, who has denounced Gibson's "odious racism" and her colleague Ari Emanuel, who writes that " ... the entertainment industry cannot idly stand by and allow Mel Gibson to get away with such tragically inflammatory statements ... Now we know the truth. And no amount of publicist-approved contrition can paper it over. People in the entertainment community, whether Jew or gentile, need to demonstrate that they understand how much is at stake in this by professionally shunning Mel Gibson and refusing to work with him ... There are times in history when standing up against bigotry and racism is more important than money." Others like Christopher Hitchens, Joy Behar, Barbara Walters and Sony Pictures chairwoman Amy Pascal have piled on with their denouncements of this religious bigotry.

The first thing Mel Gibson and everyone else should do is ignore people like these. They are hypocrites.

They were nowhere to be found when "Da Vinci Code" actor Ian McKellen publicly accused the Catholic Church of "perhaps misleading us all this time," and stated, "the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying this is fiction." And what of the movie itself, a bigoted anti-Catholic screed if ever there was one? Any denouncements from them?

Where were they when Comedy Central's Dennis Leary aired his "Merry F*ing Christmas" special, publicly called the Christmas story "bull[bleep]" and said of the baby Jesus and the Virgin Mary, "I also believe that about nine months before he was born, somebody sure as [bleep] banged the hell out of his mom"? Any religious bigotry there, folks?

Have any of these people ever said a word about the "South Park" DVD featuring an episode called "Red Hot Catholic Love," in which almost every Catholic priest and cardinal in the world favors having sex with altar boys because supposedly it's been enshrined in Vatican law? What about the "South Park" episode aired on television depicting a statue of the Virgin Mary with blood coming out her rectum?

There was that contestant "Tammy" who thought she was very funny on NBC's "Last Comic Standing" when she joked, "It's a good time to be Catholic cause we're grading on the curve. As long as you're not touching pee-pees you got a get-out-of-hell-free card." Did Gibson's critics condemn her -- or did they laugh? How about Penn and Teller's skit on their HBO show about Mother Teresa, one of the world's holiest women and presently on the fast track toward sainthood? The title -- "Mother F---ing Teresa" -- tells you all you need to know. Barbara Walters and Co., where were you?

Arianna, where were you when one wag said of Pope John Paul the Great's teachings on sexuality that "in his perversion pecking order, you had to be dead-set against 'self-love' but when it came to buggering little kids, there was some wiggle room"? Oh wait a minute. Those were your words, weren't they?

How about the TV show "Committed," which featured a scene in which the main characters accidentally flush what they believe to be the Sacred Host down a toilet? Or "Judging Amy" with its storyline about a transvestite priest? What about the show "Rescue Me" with its plots about pedophilic priests and the character who has visions of Christ and Mary Magdalene, including one in which "Tommy" is having sex with Mary Magdalene, Jesus catches them and in a jealous rage tries to blow Tommy away with a shotgun?

The examples of anti-Christian, anti-Catholic bigotry in Hollywood are seemingly endless. Each and every one is uglier, more mean-spirited than anything Mel Gibson said. While Gibson's comments were those of a slobbering drunk, these anti-Catholic rants were not just deliberate, in most cases they were scripted . And while Gibson has apologized profusely, none of the people cited above has any intention of showing contrition because they have none.

Gibson's statements were awful, and deserved condemnation. But the anti-Catholic bigotry raging in Hollywood is far worse. Those who suddenly proclaim themselves to be shocked -- shocked, I tell you! -- over Gibson's religious bigotry, but have remained silent all these years as the Catholic Church is mercilessly pummeled, ridiculed and insulted, are frauds.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/BrentBozellIII/2006/08/04/mel_gibson_and_politics_of_bigotry

My opinion, in the US traditionally anti-Catholicism, I'm unsure about today. In most other countries, where Jews live, Anti-Semitism.

Not to mention the fact that telling a disrespectful or irreverent joke isn't bigotry.

Bozell makes good points. The truth is that anti-Semitism tends to increase ALONG WITH the prohibition on expressing it, something the Gibson story reveals, I believe. When people realize their careers will be destroyed by saying ANYTHING less than glowing about Jews, that tends NOT to make them like Jews.

People who go around saying how "philo-Semitic" they are are full of shit. More likely, they're AFRAID of Jews. They're like the emperor with no clothes of our society.

William Joyce said:
Bozell makes good points. The truth is that anti-Semitism tends to increase ALONG WITH the prohibition on expressing it, something the Gibson story reveals, I believe. When people realize their careers will be destroyed by saying ANYTHING less than glowing about Jews, that tends NOT to make them like Jews.

People who go around saying how "philo-Semitic" they are are full of shit. More likely, they're AFRAID of Jews. They're like the emperor with no clothes of our society.

With a legal wing (JADL) that will make you pay for stepping out of line.

What does it mean to be a religious bigot? I despise the religion of Islam. I blame the religion for many of todays problems. That makes me a 'religious bigot'? I could say "Fucking muslims" or "muslims are the cause of all wars today" in a drunken tirade, but can't say anything about Jews?

theHawk said:
What does it mean to be a religious bigot? I despise the religion of Islam. I blame the religion for many of todays problems. That makes me a 'religious bigot'? I could say "Fucking muslims" or "muslims are the cause of all wars today" in a drunken tirade, but can't say anything about Jews?

Correct--you are also free to trash anything Christian without repurcussion. Apparently there is "good" bigotry and "bad" bigotry depending on what religion you attack.

theHawk said:

I guess that does make you a bigot regarding Islam according to the meaning of bigotry. :eek: The reason you "can't say anything" about Jews is because it's become un-PC in our country to say anything negative about them....largely due to a liberal media controlled largely by liberal Jews.

According to Webster a bigot is 1. a person who holds blindly and intolerantly to a particular creed, opinion 2. a narrow-minded, predudiced person. Bigotry is the behavior, attitude, or beliefs of a bigot; intolerance, prejudice.

I guess if one has strong opinions about anything he could be called a bigot. I suppose that's why it's a favorite word among liberals. Even haters of pedophiles could be considered bigots.

More definitions here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bigot

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
ScreamingEagle said:
I guess that does make you a bigot regarding Islam according to the meaning of bigotry. :eek: The reason you "can't say anything" about Jews is because it's become un-PC in our country to say anything negative about them....largely due to a liberal media controlled largely by liberal Jews.

According to Webster a bigot is 1. a person who holds blindly and intolerantly to a particular creed, opinion 2. a narrow-minded, predudiced person. Bigotry is the behavior, attitude, or beliefs of a bigot; intolerance, prejudice.

I guess if one has strong opinions about anything he could be called a bigot. I suppose that's why it's a favorite word among liberals. Even haters of pedophiles could be considered bigots.

Excellent post. :)

dilloduck said:
Correct--you are also free to trash anything Christian without repurcussion. Apparently there is "good" bigotry and "bad" bigotry depending on what religion you attack.
You might wish to check out the reaction to Charleston Chad's posts regarding Christianity. I don't think they go unanswered.

Ditto some of those on Catholicism in the past, neither Bonnie nor I ignored those implying Catholics were not Christians...not to mention other prejudicial remarks. Several of us have stood up for the Jews as a whole, knowing that some are not our cup of tea, than again, neither are some of the self proclaimed, 'most committed Christians.' As for Muslims, it's hard to find a generalization that's favorable, but the exceptions are often noted.

ScreamingEagle said:

OK, so then I am not a 'bigot'. I don't hold "blind" hatred or intolerance to them, I simply dislike and distrust Muslims after reading up on their beliefs and history. In short, the more I educate myself on them, the more I distrust them.

Is someone like RWA a 'bigot' when he studies and reads up on Jews and aspects of Judaism and doesn't like what he sees? Its that "blind hatred", or merited disgust?

Pre-judging people based on things out of their control such as sex or race is bigotry. But judging someone based on their idealogy, whether its political or religous is bigotry too?

theHawk said:
OK, so then I am not a 'bigot'. I don't hold "blind" hatred or intolerance to them, I simply dislike and distrust Muslims after reading up on their beliefs and history. In short, the more I educate myself on them, the more I distrust them.

Is someone like RWA a 'bigot' when he studies and reads up on Jews and aspects of Judaism and doesn't like what he sees? Its that "blind hatred", or merited disgust?

Pre-judging people based on things out of their control such as sex or race is bigotry. But judging someone based on their idealogy, whether its political or religous is bigotry too?
If what one studies is confined to those that hold a preconceived idea of outcome, then :huh: ? If all I read are sites that cite David Duke as the answer to what's wrong with America, might my perceptions be a bit skewed?

Seems to me it's the same as trying to follow what's up with current events, if one only goes to sites suggested by Daily Kos, your opinion will not be educated, but programmed. Same on the opposit end.

I meant by reading what they(the Jews or Muslims) themselves write. By reading the Quran itself or other religous scripture the religous groups themselves use. Straight from the source so to speak, with their spin on it.

theHawk said:
I meant by reading what they(the Jews or Muslims) themselves write. By reading the Quran itself or other religous scripture the religous groups themselves use. Straight from the source so to speak, with their spin on it.
Then I would say that you are trying to come to an informed decision.

theHawk said:

You want to condone RWA's jew-bashing now? There isn't a link he's ever relied on that wasn't tantamount to thinking all white people are represented by the KKK.

You wanna be judged by Pat Robertson's insanity? Cool.

jillian said:
You want to condone RWA's jew-bashing now? There isn't a link he's ever relied on that wasn't tantamount to thinking all white people are represented by the KKK.

You wanna be judged by Pat Robertson's insanity? Cool.

I haven't read most of his links.

And I don't keep tabs on Pat Robertson either, so I have no idea what he says. :huh:

dilloduck said:
Really?--what do you call it then ? Polite? Tolerant? Accepting?

How about for once you look up the word bigotry and bigot for yourself. If you still think telling a joke is bigotry, come back and I'll see if I can explain it in terms you can understand.

OK, new thought.

"Bigotry" seems agreed to be a bad thing, because it sounds bad, and people think it's unreasonable to blame all members of an ethnic group for something.

But what about justified generalizations? Not all lions kill people, but isn't it wise to assume that one will and stay out of its way?

Forum List

Back