Hypocritical biblical invocations?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
A couple of posters in another thread gave me idea for this thread. They'll know who they are.

The general topic is to think of as many biblical (or otherwise religious) tenets that people selectively, and therefore hypocritically, invoke. That is, they invoke it when it suits their argument and dismiss (or ignore) it when it doesn't.

The one that inspired me to ask this is Matthew 5:39

But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Now, if a person truly and honestly believes in this particular tenet, then they would apply it universally. Yet NOBODY ever does. One person even rationalized said hypocrisy by asserting that Jesus only meant it to apply to individuals, not groups made up of individuals, and therefore a nation going to war doesn't violate this tenet.

The bottom line IMO is that this tenet is entirely unrealistic. It basically instructs people to not be people and that's not really possible. Yet there is always another hypocrite willing to invoke this passage, not universally of course, but on a case by case basis.

What are some other hypocritical biblical invocations?

• Banned
Another obvious one of course is invoking thou shalt not kill to oppose abortion and then turn around and support the death penalty.

"So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the Law and the prophets."

"So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the Law and the prophets."
So the genocides against the various tribes in Canaan...

I never want to hear a Jew bitch about Hitler again

How 'nout qquoting ANY scripture and then trefusing to follow all the law, when to break any is to break them all? Kinda like using the bible to condemn homosexuality then refusing to sell me their daughter or getting butthurt over slavery.

Or just being morons and thinking the bible says marriage was one man and one woman

So the genocides against the various tribes in Canaan...

I never want to hear a Jew bitch about Hitler again
:confused:
You don't get it?

'do unto others'

then they committed genocide

so they want it committed against them

think, Ravi
:lol: That's retarded. People alive today committed no genocides against Canaanites. Not to mention that you've totally misunderstood the saying.

You don't get it?

'do unto others'

then they committed genocide

so they want it committed against them

think, Ravi
:lol: That's retarded. People alive today committed no genocides against Canaanites. Not to mention that you've totally misunderstood the saying.

They consider themselves to be the same as those who did.

That's why they say god's promise to those who lived then applies to those who live now.

Of course, you're just pointing out more of their hypocrisy and stupidity :cool:

Forum List

Back