Hypocrisy within the modern Christian Community

Aristotle

Sep 9, 2012
I notice that there are many Christians who profess their love for Christ but they have a tendency to not extend their compassion towards others, most specifically, their Abrahamic neighbors, Muslims. But more importantly, I see a lot of Christians both online and offline that have a tendency to criticize others but they themselves are not doing what they're supposed to (as far as Christianity is concerned). A good example is Ted Haggard who openly opposed homosexuality but it was found out that he himself was homosexual. Or the so-called "good Christians" who professed their belief in Jesus as their Lord and Savior but castrated and hung blacks? In the Bible Jesus said:

"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.' " (Matthew 7:21-23)

Its amazing that there are Christians who will bad mouth Islam yet profess to be Christian, and upon asking why are they bad mouthing a faith, most will say "its free speech." But its not free speech that I'm concerned about its about professing a belief in a tolerant philosophy such as the one Jesus believed in yet their speech is so intolerant towards others. So my question to that is what justifies intolerant speech or intolerant belief? Is it the Constitution? Is it because your American?

How does one reconcile intolerant speech with their religious beliefs? How can you be for Christ who spoke about justice, compassion, and love, yet your speech towards others contradicts what Jesus taught?

I notice that there are many Christians who profess their love for Christ but they have a tendency to not extend their compassion towards others, most specifically, their Abrahamic neighbors, Muslims. But more importantly, I see a lot of Christians both online and offline that have a tendency to criticize others but they themselves are not doing what they're supposed to (as far as Christianity is concerned). A good example is Ted Haggard who openly opposed homosexuality but it was found out that he himself was homosexual. Or the so-called "good Christians" who professed their belief in Jesus as their Lord and Savior but castrated and hung blacks? In the Bible Jesus said:

"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.' " (Matthew 7:21-23)

Its amazing that there are Christians who will bad mouth Islam yet profess to be Christian, and upon asking why are they bad mouthing a faith, most will say "its free speech." But its not free speech that I'm concerned about its about professing a belief in a tolerant philosophy such as the one Jesus believed in yet their speech is so intolerant towards others. So my question to that is what justifies intolerant speech or intolerant belief? Is it the Constitution? Is it because your American?

How does one reconcile intolerant speech with their religious beliefs? How can you be for Christ who spoke about justice, compassion, and love, yet your speech towards others contradicts what Jesus taught?

i'm posting more as a secular humanist, but is this what you are typing ?

1. criticism of islam by xtians is the same as:
A - an xtian preacher who frequently criticized nonheteros was found to engage in this behavior himself
B - xtians in the past who used their faith to justify slavery & worse

2. because xtians are xtians, they should not criticize other religions ?

3. because islam is a religion, it should not be criticized ?

4. that tolerance should be extended towards ideologies that are intolerant ?

i personally don't think islam should be protected in any way shape or form. xnity has managed to survive the onslaught of "free speech" and seems to still be thriving in a modern secular culture yes ? why are you wanting to deprive islam of this similar experience ? why does islam deserve such "protection" from free speech ?

i'm posting more as a secular humanist, but is this what you are typing ?

1. criticism of islam by xtians is the same as:
A - an xtian preacher who frequently criticized nonheteros was found to engage in this behavior himself
B - xtians in the past who used their faith to justify slavery & worse

2. because xtians are xtians, they should not criticize other religions ?

3. because islam is a religion, it should not be criticized ?

4. that tolerance should be extended towards ideologies that are intolerant ?

i personally don't think islam should be protected in any way shape or form. xnity has managed to survive the onslaught of "free speech" and seems to still be thriving in a modern secular culture yes ? why are you wanting to deprive islam of this similar experience ? why does islam deserve such "protection" from free speech ?

My point is its hypocritical to be Christian but wants Muslims to die.

Its hypocritical to be Christian but you exercise racism (after all the historical Jesus was Jewish).

Matthew 23:27
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
Matthew 23:26-28 (in Context) Matthew 23 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

1.John 2:14
And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:
John 2:13-15 (in Context) John 2 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
2.John 2:15
And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;
John 2:14-16 (in Context) John 2 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

Luke 11:44
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are as graves which appear not, and the men that walk over them are not aware of them.
Luke 11:43-45 (in Context) Luke 11 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

Matthew 23:25
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.:eusa_shhh:

Matthew 23:14
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

As you can plainly see,Jesus had no problem pointing out what was wrong. If I see Muslims making a mistake following Mohammad,should I let them be cast to hell just to be nice about it or should I try to point out the error? Jesus KNEW there would be false Prophets but Muslims didn't get the memo. The hostility could be because it's hard to be nice to people who want to kill you. It could also be because we know Islam is satans religion and we do hate God's enemy. As for being a hippocrate, that may be, but if you think all those do gooders in fancy million dollar churches, fine robes, gold and silver goblets,and getting rich off the tithes they are given are going to be in a better position on Judgement day that those slamming Islam on this board, you're as sadly mistaken as they are.

Mathew 24
11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Last edited:
I dont want muslims to die. I cant speak for anyone else. Id rather see them come to Christ and repent. Just like I want to see everyone do that.

As my Sunday school teacher says...

When you see others you would like to chastise, why don't you direct that laser on yourself, and ask yourself what YOU could do better.

Being Christan doesn't make you less human or less flawed. Your op seems to imply Christians are on a whole, less tolerant, or should because they follow christs teachings be held to a higher standard than others. I'm sure most Christians strive to lead a Christain life, but it's impossible to be perfect like Christ, it doesn't make them hypocrites to try and fail.

but as peaceful as jesus was...we have luke 22:36

Then said he to them, But now, he that has a purse, let him take it, and likewise his money: and he that has no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one

just cause someone logs onto a messageboard and claims to be christian doesnt make it so....

its kinda like the big dicks men on the net all claim to have....

what amuses me about people who claim to be christians on the net...they dont read their bible or dont understand what it says....

muslims are the modern day canannities

Good question. I truthfully cannot answer. I have been convicted by the truth from reading your post and have to admit that you are correct. Thank you. I just feel I have to defend my self against others who post.

Matthew 23:27
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
Matthew 23:26-28 (in Context) Matthew 23 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

1.John 2:14
And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:
John 2:13-15 (in Context) John 2 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations
2.John 2:15
And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;
John 2:14-16 (in Context) John 2 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

Luke 11:44
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are as graves which appear not, and the men that walk over them are not aware of them.
Luke 11:43-45 (in Context) Luke 11 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

Matthew 23:25
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.:eusa_shhh:

Matthew 23:14
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

As you can plainly see,Jesus had no problem pointing out what was wrong. If I see Muslims making a mistake following Mohammad,should I let them be cast to hell just to be nice about it or should I try to point out the error? Jesus KNEW there would be false Prophets but Muslims didn't get the memo. The hostility could be because it's hard to be nice to people who want to kill you. It could also be because we know Islam is satans religion and we do hate God's enemy. As for being a hippocrate, that may be, but if you think all those do gooders in fancy million dollar churches, fine robes, gold and silver goblets,and getting rich off the tithes they are given are going to be in a better position on Judgement day that those slamming Islam on this board, you're as sadly mistaken as they are.

Mathew 24
11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

"Islam is Satan's religion"

hmmm

Well from my limited understanding Muslims are called to submit to one authority, that being God. I believe in The Exordium (Opening) it says:

"All praise is due to Allah, The Lord of the universe."

Muslims understand that God is the supreme ruler and that Satan or Shaytan really has no true power. I would find that this would be a commonality between Muslims and Christians. I would highly doubt any Christian would disagree that God is the Lord of the universe.

As far as telling Muslims they're belief is wrong, well, there is a difference between respectfully disagreeing with a Muslim then telling them they are going to hell. Cause after all the judgment of heaven and hell is for God to decide right? In addition, who knows they could be right and you could be wrong......

I dont want muslims to die. I cant speak for anyone else. Id rather see them come to Christ and repent. Just like I want to see everyone do that.

Repent for what?

Muslims show more respect for Jesus than Christians do. I've never heard a Christian say, upon mentioning the name of Jesus "Peace be upon him." In the Qur'an there is an entire chapter dedicated to Mary mother of Jesus.

Forum List

Back