Hypocrisy: Hagel's war on women

Dec 5, 2011
“I am pro-life with one exception — the life of the mother. I oppose taxpayer funded abortions. We must promote adoption and support the strengthening of American families. I will vote with and support the pro-life movement,” Hagel said in a piece of 1996 campaign literature, according to the Omaha World Herald.

Then Senate-candidate Hagel said that he “tightened” his position on abortion after he said he discovered that abortion in the case of rape and incest are “rare” according to multiple local press reports.

“As I looked at those numbers, if I want to prevent abortions, I don’t think those two exceptions are relevant,” Hagel said, according to the Omaha paper.

Voting record:

- Voted YES on defining unborn child as eligible for SCHIP. (Mar 2008)
- Voted YES on prohibiting minors crossing state lines for abortion. (Mar 2008)
- Voted YES on barring HHS grants to organizations that perform abortions. (Oct 2007)
- Voted NO on expanding research to more embryonic stem cell lines. (Apr 2007)
- Voted YES on notifying parents of minors who get out-of-state abortions. (Jul 2006)
- Voted NO on $100M to reduce teen pregnancy by education & contraceptives. (Mar 2005)
- Voted YES on criminal penalty for harming unborn fetus during other crime. (Mar 2004)
- Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions except for maternal life. (Mar 2003)
- Voted YES on maintaining ban on Military Base Abortions. (Jun 2000)
- Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions. (Oct 1999)
- Voted YES on banning human cloning. (Feb 1998)
- Rated 0% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)
- Rated 100% by the NRLC, indicating a pro-life stance. (Dec 2006)
- Prohibit transporting minors across state lines for abortion. (Jan 2008)
http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Chuck_Hagel_Abortion.htm
Link Each Copy And Paste To It's Source.

He was a Senator from 1997 to 2009, not 30 years ago. This issue has cost the GOP two Senate seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it amusing that wingnuts suddenly care about gays and abortion now.

Let's be honest, the only reason why Hagel is under fire is the Zionist lobby doesn't want him.

But they can't s how their faces openly, because someone might actually ask perfectly sensible questions like "Why did my kid come home in a body bag for Israel?"

Let's be honest, the only reason why Hagel is under fire is the Zionist lobby doesn't want him.

But they can't s how their faces openly, because someone might actually ask perfectly sensible questions like "Why did my kid come home in a body bag for Israel?"

I'm not pro-Israel

It will be fun to see Tea Party favorite Rand Paul voting for his nomination and neocon rinos McCain and Graham voting against it

I find it amusing that wingnuts suddenly dont care about a politicians position on abortion...and divert from it by bringing up soldiers in body bags.

I'm not pro-Israel

It will be fun to see Tea Party favorite Rand Paul voting for his nomination and neocon rinos McCain and Graham voting against it

One does not need to be pro Israel to understand the importance of an ally/friend in the Middle East.

A lot of legislators with Hagel's views on women's reproductive choices got elected and re-elected. It was the rape crap that got those other douchenozzles voted out.

A lot of legislators with Hagel's views on women's reproductive choices got elected and re-elected. It was the rape crap that got those other douchenozzles voted out.

Legislators are voted in based on the views of the majority in their respective districts.

Presidential candidates have been dragged through the mud based on their pro life positions by the left...not just the rape issue.

Yet Hagel is considered a viable candidate by the left regardless of hios pro life position.

Legislators are voted in based on the views of the majority in their respective districts.

Presidential candidates have been dragged through the mud based on their pro life positions by the left...not just the rape issue.

Yet Hagel is considered a viable candidate by the left regardless of hios pro life position.

Ah, I see where the confusion is...Hagel isn't running for President but was nominated for Secretary of Defense. Abortion has what to do with defense? Oh right, nothing.

Ah, I see where the confusion is...Hagel isn't running for President but was nominated for Secretary of Defense. Abortion has what to do with defense? Oh right, nothing.

I expected better of you.

Presidential candiates were dragged through the mud based n their pro life positions...not from a political standpoint...they were deemed as "wagers of war on women"...which is more of a "character" attack.

Yet the character of Hagel is by no means a concern of the left.

Your diversion from the obvious hypocrisy is understandable for I respect your adamant support for a progressive government.....but I expected a more honest debate with you.....

Israel Vows To Use Veto Power If Chuck Hagel Confirmed As U.S. Secretary Of Defense
700.jpg

JERUSALEM—Top-ranking government officials in Jerusalem confirmed Tuesday that Israel would exercise its longstanding, constitutionally granted veto power over American policy if U.S. lawmakers confirmed retired congressman Chuck Hagel as the United States’ next Secretary of Defense. “In light of Mr. Hagel’s worrying remarks on Israeli-Palestinian relations and questionable classification of Israeli interests as ‘the Jewish lobby,’ we consider him a highly inappropriate choice for Defense Secretary who stands far out of line with our national priorities, and therefore we are prepared to swiftly and resolutely use our official veto power over this U.S. action,” said Israeli government spokesperson Mark Regev of the legal maneuver that the small Middle Eastern nation has employed to block U.S. Cabinet nominees, U.S. legislation, U.S. international relations, and U.S. domestic policy over 1,400 times in its 64-year history. “Because congress does not possess the necessary nine-tenths majority to override an Israeli veto, they’ll have no choice but to head back to the drawing board and provide a Defense Secretary whom we find more suitable.”
Israel Vows To Use Veto Power If Chuck Hagel Confirmed As U.S. Secretary Of Defense | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

I find it amusing that wingnuts suddenly dont care about a politicians position on abortion...and divert from it by bringing up soldiers in body bags.

i'm wondering what george marshall's position was on abortion

because it's so relevant :rolleyes:

Pro life positions have been used as "character attacks" on GOP politicians...i.e. "the war on women"

Well, Hagel must be one of those guys that wants to govern from the womans womb...so why does the left apporve of his nomination? He is a man that hates women, wants to decide what they do for thier bodies....so his character is not worthy of representing our nation in ANY capacity.

Or are you saying such was NEVER the sentiment of the left?

Pro life positions have been used as "character attacks" on GOP politicians...i.e. "the war on women"

Well, Hagel must be one of those guys that wants to govern from the womans womb...so why does the left apporve of his nomination? He is a man that hates women, wants to decide what they do for thier bodies....so his character is not worthy of representing our nation in ANY capacity.

i don't particularly give a rat's ass what sentiments the left may or may not have held, hold or plan to hold.

i think it's pretty fucking stupid to bring up abortion as a criterion for secdef, though.

i don't particularly give a rat's ass what sentiments the left may or may not have held, hold or plan to hold.

i think it's pretty fucking stupid to bring up abortion as a criterion for secdef, though.

it was boruight up for only one reason...to point out the hypocrisy of the left....not an effort to define Hagel as a good pick or not a good pick.

No one on the right is saying Hagel is a poor pick based on his abortion stance.

But many on the left question the character of any candidate for any position based on his/her stance on abortion and the "war on women"

But to them, Hagel does not have a character flaw....he is one of the few that is pro life but NOT anti women.

This is a thread about hypocrisy...not about his qualifications...as was evidnet when no one deemed it appropriate to answer my question of "what makes him qualified"

Forum List

Back