Hyphenated last names...for women

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
I'm against the idea in general. I suspect women who do that aren't good lovers. Why? Pride. You never see REALLY hot successful women who do that - we don't see Faith Hill-McGraw do we? Just say 'no'. :D

Thoughts?

:)

-=d=- said:
I'm against the idea in general. I suspect women who do that aren't good lovers. Why? Pride. You never see REALLY hot successful women who do that - we don't see Faith Hill-McGraw do we? Just say 'no'. :D

Thoughts?

I have thoughts on this as well as experience...My daughter kept her given last name as her husbands last name "sucked" she was proud of her heritage and kept the family given name...as did my grandaughter...for what that is worth!...Why do people think a woman needs to take the husbands name anyway...... :dunno: ego or control maybe!

archangel said:
I have thoughts on this as well as experience...My daughter kept her given last name as her husbands last name "sucked" she was proud of her heritage and kept the family given name...as did my grandaughter...for what that is worth!...Why do people think a woman needs to take the husbands name anyway...... :dunno: ego or control maybe!

lol. :)

archangel said:
Tradition... the same reason we all support a lot of things.

But actually, in other cultures it is quite the norm for the woman to keep her maiden name. However, all the children take the name of the father.

My wife suggested that she wanted to keep her last name. I suggested that we were forming a family and unless she needed the name because she was famous I would rather her join that family....

She joined my family.

• Thanks
Reactions: -Cp
no1tovote4 said:
My wife suggested that she wanted to keep her last name. I suggested that we were forming a family and unless she needed the name because she was famous I would rather her join that family....

She joined my family.

You complete me. :) ladies with 'two names' suggest to me they are unwilling to commit - it's like it gives them an 'out' or something. One family. One Name. In most cases.

-=d=- said:
You complete me. :) ladies with 'two names' suggest to me they are unwilling to commit - it's like it gives them an 'out' or something. One family. One Name. In most cases.

one family one name...news flash guys... marriage is just a contract...the name has nothing to do with committments...if the children prefer the mothers maiden name then so be it... and if the wife prefers the maiden name... so what...what is with all this ego and power stuff anyway! Here is a extreme example: if the husbands name was "Loser" and the wifes maiden name was "winner"... geez not rocket science here...what would you prefer or do?

archangel said:
one family one name...news flash guys... marriage is just a contract...the name has nothing to do with committments...if the children prefer the mothers maiden name then so be it... and if the wife prefers the maiden name... so what...what is with all this ego and power stuff anyway! Here is a extreme example: if the husbands name was "Loser" and the wifes maiden name was "winner"... geez not rocket science here...what would you prefer or do?

Marriage is a contract, which has nothing to do with commitment?!? :confused: Can I tell that to my wife's cell phone provider?

I thought taking your husband's last name had more to do with tradition than anything. The bride is joining the grooms family..........her father even "gives" her away.

gop_jeff said:
Marriage is a contract, which has nothing to do with commitment?!? :confused: Can I tell that to my wife's cell phone provider?

Let's don't forget the military - where EVERYTHING is based on the active duty member's social security number. Doesn't matter if the military member is male or female - their ssn is everything.

Said1 said:
I thought taking your husband's last name had more to do with tradition than anything. The bride is joining the grooms family..........her father even "gives" her away.

I never considered my daughters to be property...they chose their hubbies...and I never gave them away...therefore tradition is a moot point...even though I am part Spanish which does consider hypen's...doh'

gop_jeff said:

My daughhter has her own cell phone as does my grandaughter...they pay in full on their own...as well as have their own cars...paid on their own..the hubby in question in my daughters situation is to cheap to provide...so she took it as her responsibility...doh"

archangel said:

It's important for Christians to do this - not that it determines one's salvation or anything - because it shows solidarity and *GASP* "Submission" between the husband and wife.

Ephesians 5
22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church— 30for we are members of his body. 31"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."

1 Corinthians 11
3Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

archangel said:
I never considered my daughters to be property...they chose their hubbies...and I never gave them away...therefore tradition is a moot point...even though I am part Spanish which does consider hypen's...doh'

Moot to you. I didn't say it was law, I said it was part of a "tradition", which many part take in, even though the brides are not actually considered property in this day and age.

I guess you didn't walk your daughter down the isle either.

Said1 said:
even though the brides are not actually considered property in this day and age.

Really? Then why do wives act as if their husbands are property? :D

-Cp said:
It's important for Christians to do this - not that it determines one's salvation or anything - because it shows solidarity and *GASP* "Submission" between the husband and wife.

Ephesians 5
22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church— 30for we are members of his body. 31"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."

1 Corinthians 11
3Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

not a good example.........no where in the Bible does it say a woman must take the name of the man...submission eh! so if the wife says,,,I have a headache... and you say so what... and take her anyway...this is your definition of submission...gimme a break!

archangel said:
not a good example.........no where in the Bible does it say a woman must take the name of the man...submission eh! so if the wife says,,,I have a headache... and you say so what... and take her anyway...this is your definition of submission...gimme a break!
You should learn to read.

25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

Where does it say to ignore your wife's wishes? What is up with you and your thinking only YOU know anything? When you get called on it, you claim "humor".

archangel said:
not a good example

What do you mean that's not a good example?

no where in the Bible does it say a woman must take the name of the man

Are ya sure?

submission eh! so if the wife says,,,I have a headache... and you say so what... and take her anyway...this is your definition of submission...gimme a break!

Did I say anything that infers a husband should force their wive's into "relations"?

Looks to me like you're awfully defensive on this issue - we can't help it your daughter didn't do the "proper traditional" thing of taking her husbands' last name. So why do you take it out on us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back