Hyphenated-Americans

Hyphenated Americans..... Mexican-Americans; Asian-Americans; German-Americans; Irish-Americans; Muslim-Americans; Christian-Americans; Jewish-Americans; etc.... these people piss me off. It's one of my biggest pet peeves.

You are either an AMERICAN or you AREN'T. A house divided amongst itself cannot stand. You cannot have a loyalty to another place, or another philosophy and still have the proper amount of loyalty to the United States of America. It's one or the other boys and girls.

I can tell you every single country that my ancestors came to this country from. However, I hold no loyalty to any of that handful of countries. I may have the blood of those peoples in my veins but I am not attached to any of them. I learned this lesson very early on in my life, from my great-grandmother.

Her family had been here in the United States since the 17th Century. In 1980, at nearly 90 years old. she failed to fill out her US Census documents and received a visit from a Census Worker. She ended up throwing him out of her home after cursing him out in her living room. Her reason.... He refused to list AMERICAN as her heritage on the form. Even after she'd explained to him that her family had come here more than three centuries earlier. That had a profound affect on the thought process of a certain 6 year old great-grandson of hers.

So what do you folks think? Should we be focusing on these hyphenations of our heritage, or should we actually be forcing people who come to this country to actually become a part of this country, and not remain even partially loyal to other nations, religions, etc... in addition to (or often in place of) loyalty to the United States?

Awesome. So instead of calling you a Moron-American, we'll just call you a Moron.

Im a dual national and carry two passports to prove it, hate me all you want butt...

I have to hyphenate, it would be wrong not to.

So far as I'm concerned the idea of dual-nationalism is completely and totally undefendable. There is no way on this planet that I could ever trust anyone who holds dual citizenship. The fact that the United States even allows such a thing disgusts me. Even as it means that I have a cousin and her daughter that I go out of my way to avoid having contact with for just that reason. She married a gentleman from Brazil and moved there for a couple years. I know her daughter has dual citizenship and I believe my cousin does as well. So I avoid having anything to do with them.

Gee whiz, you make me want to work harder and faster at obtaining my duel citizenship. Mexico, no less!

Do people like you have to work at hate or does it just come naturally? Seems like it would take more effort than it is worth.

Anachronism clarified that you're British, and therefore I think you have the wrong take on the OP. You are possibly unaware that for some time in the US there has been a concerted effort by the left to balkanize this country for political purposes, eg, permitting the flooding of this country with 20 million illegal aliens - what european country would allow that?

Small correction here. Not 20,000,000 illegals, more like 30,000,000+. Mexico claims 25% of their population is currently living in the US illegally. That is 25,000,000 right there. That doesn't include all those from other countries.

Question.........do you realize that the entire population of the US is only 300,000,000?

So far as I'm concerned the idea of dual-nationalism is completely and totally undefendable. There is no way on this planet that I could ever trust anyone who holds dual citizenship. The fact that the United States even allows such a thing disgusts me. Even as it means that I have a cousin and her daughter that I go out of my way to avoid having contact with for just that reason. She married a gentleman from Brazil and moved there for a couple years. I know her daughter has dual citizenship and I believe my cousin does as well. So I avoid having anything to do with them.

Gee whiz, you make me want to work harder and faster at obtaining my duel citizenship. Mexico, no less!

Do people like you have to work at hate or does it just come naturally? Seems like it would take more effort than it is worth.

Anachronism clarified that you're British, and therefore I think you have the wrong take on the OP. You are possibly unaware that for some time in the US there has been a concerted effort by the left to balkanize this country for political purposes, eg, permitting the flooding of this country with 20 million illegal aliens - what european country would allow that?

Small correction here. Not 20,000,000 illegals, more like 30,000,000+. Mexico claims 25% of their population is currently living in the US illegally. That is 25,000,000 right there. That doesn't include all those from other countries.

Question.........do you realize that the entire population of the US is only 300,000,000?

I do. That means illegals are making up 10% of our overall population.

The govt has been using the magical # of 12,000,000 for 10 years now. More have crossed the border in the last 10 years.

Yet another example of over the top nationalism.

That's the mentality of those who have NO country. Thus the reason nationalism bugs them so damn much. They come to this country and object to those born here waving the american flag while they wave the flag of their country of birth! In their warped mind, the only nationalism they approve of is their own. Seems that those who are loyal to the USA have no right to nationalism. Go figure.

America is just an address. It's been the address of my family since 1710, but they've been black since the beginning of humans. Black trumps America anytime.

That makes you a racist and someone who doesn't even understand what it means to be American.

Seing[sic] an Irish flag and green beer on St Patrick's day in one thing. Seeing it in the windows of an entire neighborhood in Worcester, MA 365 days a year IS a problem.

What a stupid thing to say. People with an Irish flag in the window are not proclaiming their loyalty to Ireland over the US, and you really need to take another look at the demographic trends of Worcester if that is all you've noticed going on there (to the extent that anything is going on there) over the past few decades.

People have a right to feel proud of their heritage and the culture that they bring to this country. After all, most of American culture is British-American, Italian-American, German-American, Mexican-American, African-American, Indian-American, etc. Given a thousand years or so and our culture will truly be American made but not yet.

American culture has been distinct since before we kicked the British out. It was one of the contributing factors of the the American Revolution.

Last edited:
If or when Hispanics become the majority and decide to not celebrate the 4th of July or want to rename America, Mexico, well who's to stop them?

That’s an idiotic question – why would any American citizen, regardless his ethnicity or national origin, wish to not celebrate the 4th or change the country’s name.

I have absolutely NO problem with hyphenated Americans.

No one should have a problem, as in it’s a non-issue.

Or…

It’s an issue for those who wish to use race as some sort of political weapon.

Originally posted by uscitizen
I yearn for the day when 90% of the earths polulation is some shade of brown.

428-puking-guy.jpg

k27878_puking.jpg

images

puking-pumpkin.jpg

Then you are an Enemy of this nation so far as I am concerned, and a threat to everything that this country was intended to be about.

I wouldn't quite call those people enemies, but they aren't really americans. As I said, America is just an address to them. One wonders - why don't they leave and go to the place they primarily identify with? It would in most cases be an improvement to this country.

America is just an address. It's been the address of my family since 1710, but they've been black since the beginning of humans. Black trumps America anytime.

I would neg rep you for this, but then that would make me a whiny bitch like

Jullian, Dr Grump, Plasmaball, rightwinger, ravi. Unlike these folks I can debate and not get butt hurt over an anonymous remark.

You have admitted you are a racist. That makes you free game for the time of my choosing.

That makes you a racist and someone who doesn't even understand what it means to be American.

No it doesn't. It makes his proud of his culture, history, and roots. He didn't say he wasn't pro-America, he simply values his culture. It is you that takes this entirely too far.

No it doesn't. It makes his proud of his culture, history, and roots. He didn't say he wasn't pro-America, he simply values his culture. It is you that takes this entirely too far.

No, sorry. Considering America "just an address" demonstrates a profound lack of understanding of America, and putting the color of one's skin before loyalty to his country means he is a racist and unworthy to be an American.

No, sorry. Considering America "just an address" demonstrates a profound lack of understanding of America, and putting the color of one's skin before loyalty to his country means he is a racist and unworthy to be an American.

You have a right to your opinions but it doesn't make you right. :lol:

Just a coincidence that it happens to turn out that I am.

Welllllll, not so much. Your attitude and feelings are coming from a place of extremes and that doesn't usually go over well with people and it tends to make them dig their foot in the dirt just to hold it there. So in the end you just kinda shoot yourself in your own foot. But then I guess at least you get to cry over the pain. (shrugs shoulders)

José;4092399 said:
Originally posted by uscitizen
I yearn for the day when 90% of the earths polulation is some shade of brown.
]

You got stomach problems?

Not at all... but I deeply dislike the idea of living in the racially homogenised world described by uscitizen ("90% of the earth's polulation is some shade of brown").

I don't want to live in a world where 90% of all foods available are diferent flavors of pizzas.

I don't want to live in a world where 90% of all sports are variations of water sports.

And I don't want to live in a world where "90% of the earth's polulation is some shade of brown" either.

Welllllll, not so much. )

More than very much, 100%. Anyone who places the color of their skin above loyalty to their country is absolutely unAmerican. Anyone who thinks America is "just an address" absolutely does not understand the history and character of our great experiment.

No question about it.

José;4093086 said:
José;4092399 said:

You got stomach problems?

Not at all... but I deeply dislike the idea of living in the racially homogenised world described by uscitizen ("90% of the earth's polulation is some shade of brown").

I don't want to live in a world where 90% of all foods available are diferent flavors of pizzas.

I don't want to live in a world where 90% of all sports are variations of water sports.

And I don't want to live in a world where "90% of the earth's polulation is some shade of brown" either.

Rest assured that if things ever just happen to settle out that way over time you will long since have been reduced to dust and won't need to worry about your stomach troubles.

Forum List

Back