Hyper Partisans

I agree whole-heartedly with the OP.

I believe compromise is in fact the heart of Democracy, and think all issues facing us today have compromise positions that would be palatable to the vast majority of the population.

For instance, I think a trimester compromise solution would be very palatable to about 80% of the population, where abortion is concerned, but the 10% on both ends, the loudest proponents or opponents, are the squeaky wheels that get the grease.

For gay marriage, we could surely come to some sort of a Civil Union compromise, but, again, the squeaky wheel effect occurs.

Unfortunately, the loudest talkers are always the extremists. Take this very board for instance. 75% of the people writing here adhere to radical polar viewpoints.

Oh, most of them don't believe it, and they all try to claim they're "Independents" or some-such, but they are in fact on the extreme side as far as these things go.

Now, I'm not specifically pointing anyone out, I'm just saying that this type of forum specifically attracts people with strong, radicalized viewpoints.

Trying to avoid radical, polarized viewpoints is the main reason I no longer regularly watch the talking heads on either MSNBC or FoxNews. Occasionally I'll tune in just to see if they're saying anything really disgusting, but I can't stand watching any of them for more than a few minutes at a time.

Last edited:
I've tried this kind of post before but I don't know if I have on this board...
You have. It was your infamous: Click---> http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/92349-please-be-positive-nature-to-this-thread.html

I will start. Despite the fact that I lean left I STRONGLY agree with our RIGHT to bare rights.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh yeah our right to bare rights! Pretty funny that one. But I guess you kinda got it right in your previous post......Can't we all just get along? At the VERY least remain civil to each other.

Damn how did you find that other thread so quick? Must be a look up tool I haven't noticed.

Hey man, I was trying to say that I belieive there can be compromise.

I was just pointing out that it may not be likely in a crowd of partisans like you find on this board.

Well you can't say I didn't try........MULTIPLE TIMES to create a thread where REASON would rule over EMOTION but sad to say I guess it is asking TOO MUCH for people to drop the nastiness ON JUST ONE THREAD.

Oh and I changed the title of the thread.
Laughing isn't nastiness.

And what did you change the title to? Looks the same from here.

I've tried this kind of post before but I don't know if I have on this board.............What if we stopped listening to the rhetoric of the HYPER-PARTISANS on BOTH parties? They make up 10-20% MAXIMUM of each party yet they tend to drive policy FAR more than their numbers should dictate so WHY are the open minded moderates from both parties letting this VERY vocal minority drive their policy decisions?

I would really like REAL WORLD sensible ideas from the 60-80% of us who put AMERICA first before ANY kind of radical agenda whether right OR left. I would like to be able to come to some well thought out COMPROMISES here that we may be able to present to our Reps in congress...........PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT let this be yet ANOTHER thread to bash each other...I don't think we need one MORE of those type of threads....I think we have FAR more in common as AMERICANS then we do differences based on political ideaology. ONCE AGAIN WE ARE ALL AMERICANS!!

Whether we agree or disagree we ARE ALL first and foremost AMERICANS and I beleive we ALL want what is best for our great country.

I will be the FIRST to admit that I have some pretty HARD LEFT ideas but this is NOT the forum for those views or HARD RIGHT to lead to ARGUMENT and end up without us finding COMMON GROUND.........I beleive 100% that if we TRIED we could ALL find at least one idea that we could share with people from the other side of the debate.

As always I will go first. Though many of you think I am hard Liberal I share some very basic Conservative values. I defend our 2nd ammendment rights, (well all of our rights really) I am VERY vocal about defense of our boarders and making it too great a risk for companies to employ illegal aliens, and I am PRO nuclear power as the ONLY current non fossil fuel energy source that we currently have available. That being said I also think we can and SHOULD persure alt energy. It may only be 10% or 1% today but if we put our greatest minds to it I think we could vastly improve upon that.

So let's try as AMERICANS to find the compromises and solutions to keep our country great.

If you used more CAPS you'd be more convincing.

Also, your ideas are revolutionary. People should compromise. :clap2:.

"Pragmatic libertarian empiricist."

Sounds dumb, I know.

Basically, I don't believe in ideology but I do believe in principles. Ideology is a trap. Principles are a belief set. Ideology forces people to think within a box. Principles are a road map. Empiricism is a quest for understanding how the world is, not what it should be. The empiricist changes his beliefs in light of contrary evidence. The ideologue retains his beliefs despite contrary evidence.

I am generally conservative on economic issues and somewhat liberal on social issues. However, conservative means being fiscally responsible, not just cutting taxes. The market creates the most wealth for most people, most of the time. But it does not create all the wealth for all the people all of the time.

I demand you apply for the position of Fed Chairman right now.

Do it, do it NOW!

Sounds dumb, I know.

Basically, I don't believe in ideology but I do believe in principles. Ideology is a trap. Principles are a belief set. Ideology forces people to think within a box. Principles are a road map. Empiricism is a quest for understanding how the world is, not what it should be. The empiricist changes his beliefs in light of contrary evidence. The ideologue retains his beliefs despite contrary evidence.

I am generally conservative on economic issues and somewhat liberal on social issues. However, conservative means being fiscally responsible, not just cutting taxes. The market creates the most wealth for most people, most of the time. But it does not create all the wealth for all the people all of the time.

Good thoughts. You should make that your signature.

"Abortion: While it's now legal through bad law, like gay rights I think it should be through the states. I know that's a losing position."

If abortion were illegal in certain states their costs for welfare and child medical care would rise and likely be paid for with your federal taxes.

Vast LWC said:
Trying to avoid radical, polarized viewpoints is the main reason I no longer regularly watch the talking heads on either MSNBC or FoxNews. Occasionally I'll tune in just to see if they're saying anything really disgusting, but I can't stand watching any of them for more than a few minutes at a time.

Neither do I. I'm sooooooooooooo glad CNN dumped Lou Dobbs and I can now enjoy a full hour of straight news, with just a sprinkling of commentary.

"Abortion: While it's now legal through bad law, like gay rights I think it should be through the states. I know that's a losing position."

If abortion were illegal in certain states their costs for welfare and child medical care would rise and likely be paid for with your federal taxes.

People who are against abortion do so on moral grounds.... not financial. Idiot.

People who are against abortion do so on moral grounds.... not financial. Idiot.

And those same people cry the mantra of "it is my money and I want to keep it".

You see no contradiction there?

Sounds dumb, I know.

I demand you apply for the position of Fed Chairman right now.

Do it, do it NOW!

Bernanke ascribes to those principles too. It's Geithner that needs to be replaced, hopefully by Elizabeth Warren who would be the first expert + common sense Treasury Secretary in history.

Edit: Memo to MM from MM--I've always thought Geithner was a poor choice.

Last edited:
I've tried this kind of post before but I don't know if I have on this board.............What if we stopped listening to the rhetoric of the HYPER-PARTISANS on BOTH parties? They make up 10-20% MAXIMUM of each party yet they tend to drive policy FAR more than their numbers should dictate so WHY are the open minded moderates from both parties letting this VERY vocal minority drive their policy decisions?

I would really like REAL WORLD sensible ideas from the 60-80% of us who put AMERICA first before ANY kind of radical agenda whether right OR left. I would like to be able to come to some well thought out COMPROMISES here that we may be able to present to our Reps in congress...........PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT let this be yet ANOTHER thread to bash each other...I don't think we need one MORE of those type of threads....I think we have FAR more in common as AMERICANS then we do differences based on political ideaology. ONCE AGAIN WE ARE ALL AMERICANS!!

Whether we agree or disagree we ARE ALL first and foremost AMERICANS and I beleive we ALL want what is best for our great country.

I will be the FIRST to admit that I have some pretty HARD LEFT ideas but this is NOT the forum for those views or HARD RIGHT to lead to ARGUMENT and end up without us finding COMMON GROUND.........I beleive 100% that if we TRIED we could ALL find at least one idea that we could share with people from the other side of the debate.

As always I will go first. Though many of you think I am hard Liberal I share some very basic Conservative values. I defend our 2nd ammendment rights, (well all of our rights really) I am VERY vocal about defense of our boarders and making it too great a risk for companies to employ illegal aliens, and I am PRO nuclear power as the ONLY current non fossil fuel energy source that we currently have available. That being said I also think we can and SHOULD persure alt energy. It may only be 10% or 1% today but if we put our greatest minds to it I think we could vastly improve upon that.

So let's try as AMERICANS to find the compromises and solutions to keep our country great.

If you used more CAPS you'd be more convincing.

Also, your ideas are revolutionary. People should compromise. :clap2:.

I use caps to emphasise words to make the posts sound more like a real conversation. People almost always emphisise words during debates with others.

Sounds dumb, I know.

While I agree with your thoughts on Empiricism and Ideology, I feel I must point out that if you were a Libertarian Idealogue (and there are some out there), you would be an Anarchist. Therefore a Libertarian must be an empiricist, or risk lose any semblance of government at all.

Forum List

Back