HVAC question.

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
My water heater went out and we swaped it out and found that the vent on the old one vented into the open attic. The vent for the heater is only about a foot away and was wondering if it would hurt anything to tie the water heater into this vent so it would vent outside?

My water heater went out and we swaped it out and found that the vent on the old one vented into the open attic. The vent for the heater is only about a foot away and was wondering if it would hurt anything to tie the water heater into this vent so it would vent outside?
One would effect the venting of the other though. The vent pipe size matters. One pipe's venting gas would actually PULL the flow of the other. Not sure that would be a good thing or not, but I'd think you'd have to at least double the size of the vent pipe past where you'd join the two.

Just my thoughts, probably best to ask an HVAC guy.

Depends on the size of the vent. You need to do something though, the gas water heater makes carbon monoxide.

With out knowing particulars I can not say for sure, how ever most vent pipe installations involve these tow pipes joining just a two to three feet from the furnace. Assuming the pipe is large enough to hold both exhausts should do fine in the same pipe. Try it and if you feel kick back flow, extend the current pipe in the attic to go above roof level. Do you know what size pipe it is?

• Banned
With out knowing particulars I can not say for sure, how ever most vent pipe installations involve these tow pipes joining just a two to three feet from the furnace. Assuming the pipe is large enough to hold both exhausts should do fine in the same pipe. Try it and if you feel kick back flow, extend the current pipe in the attic to go above roof level. Do you know what size pipe it is?
Both pipes appear to be 4 inch.

How many BTU furnace and water heater? Even if the pipe is not big enough, I think it is unless you are in an unusually large home! There are inline fans you can install if the pipe is not flow rated for the amount you are giving it. I highly doubt you will need it. Four inches should be plenty in most residential applications

Is it electric or gas?(tee-hee)..

• Banned
How many BTU furnace and water heater? Even if the pipe is not big enough, I think it is unless you are in an unusually large home! There are inline fans you can install if the pipe is not flow rated for the amount you are giving it. I highly doubt you will need it. Four inches should be plenty in most residential applications
I dont know the btu rating but it's a small house.

• Banned
Is it electric or gas?(tee-hee)..
I dont know.

Depends on the size of the vent. You need to do something though, the gas water heater makes carbon monoxide.
Open vent should work fine.

I dont know the btu rating but it's a small house.
4 inch will do the job then no prob.

Open vent should work fine.
Reported for carbon monoxide protocol violation of the kill the family rule.

Forum List

Back