Huzzahs to Alaska Airlines

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009

Huzzahs to Alaska Airlines.

Alaska Airlines kicked a passenger off a plane for catcalling a female flight attendant
https://www.facebook.com/amber.nelson.92372?fref=nf
Danielle Muoio
Oct 11th 2016

Alaska Airlines removed a passenger from a plane after he harassed a female flight attendant during her safety demonstration.

Amber Nelson, a passenger on the flight leaving from the Seattle-Tacoma Airport, wrote about the incident on Facebook.

<snip>

Below is Alaska Airlines passenger Amber Nelson's facebook post.

Amber D. Nelson
October 9 at 7:25pm
Today I had an experience that drove home so powerfully the way it feels to be a woman in the world today.

Before take off from SeaTac the flight attendants ran through their safety rules as they always do. Not all of us were paying very close attention. But a man in the row behind me changed all that by calling out "ooh, sexy!" in response to a female flight attendant demonstrating how to use the life vest.

He was in a middle seat with a woman on either side of him - they were clearly uncomfortable. Just in front of him, the two women in my row and I exchanged uncomfortable glances. Every woman I know has been through this kind of degrading experience. We were trapped on a plane with a guy who clearly disrespected women and saw us as his own personal entertainment.

We all looked expectantly at each other, what will we do? How will we handle this? We can't let him treat her like this because, aside from the fact that it's wrong, we all know that if he treats her like this, the five of us sitting around him are now maligned just like her. Before we could do more than glare in his direction, the flight attendant removed her vest, purposely walked up to him and said, "You need to be respectful," and started to walk back to her task. He said, "C'mon, I'm just playing with you!"

As she walked to the front of the plane, the safety instruction was abandoned and she convened a conversation with her colleagues. Tense moments passed and we saw an affable-looking man board the plane and walk our way. The offensive man behind me started saying "I didn't do anything wrong! I didn't do anything wrong!"

The airline employee asked the man to gather his belongings and exit the plane.

It was everything we could do to keep from applauding as he was led away.

I felt honored as a patron of the airline - and as a woman - because Alaska Airlines supported their staff and those of us on board who were demeaned by another passenger's juvenile and exceedingly disrespectful behavior. Thank you for taking this seriously.

Comment:

Katya Madden 2 observations. Has anyone ever seen such an incident, when there was a male attendant doing the demonstration?...
I think you might see my point
Next .. how can people be this outraged, when the person being chosen to possibly represent our entire country is so much more disgusting
Good point Katya Madden.

If "Oh, sexy" was all that the man said, then to me, whoever decided to get rid of him over reacted. The man could have said worse and he also could have added action to his choice of words too...but he didn't.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Learn to let it pass. That is what I had no other choice but to do when I was in school.

If "Oh, sexy" was all that the man said, then to me, whoever decided to get rid of him over reacted. The man could have said worse and he also could have added action to his choice of words too...but he didn't.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Learn to let it pass. That is what I had no other choice but to do when I was in school.

One of Donald Trump's Claytie-isms jumped up and slapped him in the face - why do you hate the idea that women should be able to work in harassment free workplaces?

But...
Remember when Republicans were hysterical about daughters and wives being groped in bathrooms?

By Jen Hayden
Monday Oct 10, 2016 · 7:43 AM PDT
2016/10/10 · 07:43

focus_copy.jpg

rememberwhen.jpg

Yikes how things have changed, not that long ago Republicans were outraged about bathroom laws, now Republicans support a guy POTUS that thinks it's OK to assault women...

^^^ To answer what you ask me here, I don't consider what that man said to be harassment. If a man called me "sexy", I would tell him "Thank you." Want to know why? Because the harassment that I had no other choice but to endure when I was in school was the exact opposite. I was made light of because of how I looked. Because of how fare skinned I am, I was called every name in the book: "Casper", "Snow White", "Albino", etc. and so if a man were to call me "sexy" now, I would take it as an unexpected compliment. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Would that woman rather the man call her "ugly"?

Last edited:
^^^ To answer what you ask me here, I don't consider what that man said to be harassment. If a man called me "sexy", I would tell him "Thank you." Want to know why? Because the harassment that I had no other choice but to endure when I was in school was the exact opposite. I was made light of because of how I looked. Because of how fare skinned I am, I was called every name in the book: "Casper", "Snow White", "Albino", etc. and so if a man were to call me "sexy" now, I would take it as an unexpected compliment. :) :) :)

Holly

This thread isn't about you, it's about sexual harassment and as you point out bullying /harassment can and does go both directions. I'm sorry to hear you were harassed into being a low-esteem teenager, but I'd have thought that that experience would give you some empathy for victims on the flip side of the equation.

BTW, calling her ugly would also be sexual harassment.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

One of Donald Trump's Claytie-isms jumped up and slapped him in the face - why do you hate the idea that women should be able to work in harassment free workplaces?

But...
Remember when Republicans were hysterical about daughters and wives being groped in bathrooms?

By Jen Hayden
Monday Oct 10, 2016 · 7:43 AM PDT
2016/10/10 · 07:43

focus_copy.jpg

rememberwhen.jpg

Yikes how things have changed, not that long ago Republicans were outraged about bathroom laws, now Republicans support a guy POTUS that thinks it's OK to assault women...

Ok star you win

Holly

This thread isn't about you, it's about sexual harassment and as you point out bullying /harassment can and does go both directions. I'm sorry to hear you were harassed into being a low-esteem teenager, but I'd have thought that that experience would give you some empathy for victims on the flip side of the equation.

BTW, calling her ugly would also be sexual harassment.
I never said that the chat was about me. I was only trying to explain why I stand where I choose to stand on this issue. As for me having low self esteem. I am actually the exact opposite and I couldn't be anymore proud of it. Yes, I will tell a guy "Thank you." should they say something to me that I take as a compliment, but that doesn't mean that I will agree to do just anything for him in return. I most especially have to be married to him first before I go jumping off of a certain bench. :) :) :)

Holly

Forum List

Back