Hutchinson Not Running For Governor of Texas

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Going for another term in the Senate:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/061805dntexkay.1cb90899.html

She'll seek Senate term; governor calls move 'great news for Texas'

04:37 PM CDT on Saturday, June 18, 2005

By WAYNE SLATER and TODD J. GILLMAN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – Republican Kay Bailey Hutchison announced Friday that she will seek a third term in the U.S. Senate, declining to wage a difficult battle against Gov. Rick Perry in next year's GOP primary.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison's announcement Friday came as a surprise after several moves foreshadowing a statehouse run.

Ms. Hutchison decided only Friday to stay put, ending months of speculation that she would challenge the incumbent in a fractious campaign for governor. She scheduled a news conference for June 27 to explain her decision.

"She's doing it because she thinks it's best for Texas," said spokesman Chris Paulitz.

Ms. Hutchison, who would be expected to cruise to re-election with little opposition, could rise to the No. 3 position in the GOP leadership in the Senate, said one person familiar with her thinking said was a factor.

The senator also did not relish the prospect of a hard-fought battle with Mr. Perry, who has worked in recent weeks to shore up support among the religious conservatives who dominate the base of the GOP, the person said.

But fear of losing or the prospect of raising money for a $50 million primary weren't an issue, the person said. Internal campaign polling showed the senator beating Mr. Perry, and the Hutchison campaign was confident she could match the governor's fundraising.

Either office would position Ms. Hutchison for a spot on the national ticket in 2008. Analysts said that while there was risk in making the governor's race, re-election would be virtually guaranteed. That could make Ms. Hutchison an attractive choice for vice president.

Ms. Hutchison has in the past pledged to serve only two full terms in the Senate. Mr. Sullivan declined to address the fact that she would be breaking that pledge.

Even as Ms. Hutchison decided against the governor's race, Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn was expected to announce today that she will take on Mr. Perry.

Ms. Hutchison's decision came as a surprise, as the state's senior senator had made several moves this year that appeared to foreshadow a run for the Statehouse. She hired Terry Sullivan, a veteran of fierce campaigns, as campaign manager and began to comment more on state-level issues than in the past.

According to those familiar with her decision, Ms. Hutchison and husband Ray, a former Texas Republican Party chairman, would weigh the pros and cons each week of her entering the governor's race.

As recently as Friday morning, during a visit to Plano, she criticized Mr. Perry's failure to win legislative approval a plan to overhaul the state's school finance system. And she indicated she would wait until after the special legislative session, likely to begin Tuesday, before deciding whether to run for governor.

In recent weeks, she had also run into opposition from some key Texas GOP activists and donors, who feared that a primary featuring two of the party's biggest stars could damage the GOP for years and create openings for Democrats.

Mr. Perry, who had openly urged Ms. Hutchison to seek re-election, praised her decision as "great news for Texas [that] will help grow our Republican majority."

In recent months, the Perry campaign moved aggressively to blunt a Hutchison challenge. At one point, the campaign hired a film crew to record a joint appearance in Washington by Ms. Hutchison and Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, which subsequently appeared on the Internet.

Former Texas Gov. Bill Clements wrote a newspaper column warning that a Hutchison challenge "in a primary, it could split the Texas Republican Party for decades to come."

Midland Republican Chairwoman Sue Brannon disclosed a private conversation in which she said Ms. Hutchison wanted to "come back to Texas and be with my children." The Hutchisons have a young son and daughter.

Major Perry campaign contributors openly disdained the idea of a primary fight that analysts said could cost up to $50 million. And Perry allies, including anti-abortion leaders and Dallas County Republican Chairman Nathan Crain, sent e-mails warning that Ms. Hutchison's entry into the race would badly damage the GOP.

On Friday, Mr. Crain praised Ms. Hutchison's decision to seek another term in the Senate.

"As I have said all along, I will give the senator my complete support in her effort for re-election," he said. "This clearly shows that Sen. Hutchison cares about continuing her distinguished service as the senior U. S. Senator from Texas."

While Ms. Hutchison and Mr. Perry largely share a conservative agenda, the senator is more moderate on the issue of abortion. Perry campaign operatives have moved in recent weeks to shore up the governor's support among abortion opponents, including conservative religious leaders who gathered in Austin last month to organize an unprecedented church-based voter registration effort aimed at sending "values voters" to the polls.

Perry campaign officials made no secret of the fact they intended to exploit Ms. Hutchison's more moderate position on abortion if she chose to challenge the governor.

Ms. Hutchison's decision has implications for a number of other Texas Republican politicians, whose plans depended on the domino effect a run for governor would have set in motion.

For instance, Rep. Henry Bonilla, R-San Antonio, has been raising money and rounding up support for months to run for Senate if she left the seat open. Mr. Bonilla instead will seek re-election.

"At every step I've made while traveling the state, I've always emphasized that I was not encouraging Senator Hutchison to run for anything else. Now that she's chosen to run for re-election I look forward to continuing my work with her," Mr. Bonilla said. "The state of Texas is lucky to have the senator's service, and I feel fortunate to continue my service for the 23rd District."

Interesting turn of events. IMO, Hutchinson is the stronger candidate. Perry is beatable in the election. I believe Hutchinson less so. Since I have to suffer the consequences, here's to hoping we don't end up with a Dem governor for this decision.

ThomasPaine said:
http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/

Roll into Austin Kinky and the Governor's mansion.

http://www.txfgm.org/

Kinky is bound to make this race fun for a change. I've known Strayhorn since she was Mayor of Austin and wasn't divorced 18 times. Her and Perry need someone like Kinky to get someone to listen to what they are saying or the state would fall asleep. ( Asleep at the Wheel ??--maybe Ray Benson wants to run for something ).

New Topics

Forum List

Back