Hurricane Sandy thread

I hope nobody dies but I really hope this Hurricane hits the White House on a direct hit.

I want Barack Obama to know what it's like to be homeless for a change since he's a SilverSpooner.

Hey man......gotta hold out for just 8 more days. Things could be worse.

More like 4 more years. Given his Jeeps-to-China lie, Romney can kiss Ohio and Michigan good-bye.

Im living in a war zone s0ns........just got power back late yesterday and finally internet back a short time ago.

People just are not getting any kind of clear idea what is going on around here...........most of the reporting on the networks has been positive ( what a surprise). So many communities here on LOng Island still without power and worse, those with generators CANT GET FUCKING GAS. One of my cars is bone dry after I waited on a gas line for 2 hours the other night only to get up to the pump and at that very moment, the station went dry. There is no gas unless you now want to wait on line for 4 hours, but I cant even do that because I am on E. The amount of huge trees down is indescribable............I lost two fruit trees and a giant pine that went over when we got hit with a 95+ mph gust around 10:30pm the night of the storm. I froze when it hit........just knew I had never felt that ever before in my life. Telephone poles..............scores of them snapped like a toothpick.For days, the only place to get food was a local 7-11 which miraculously did not lose power..........lines down the street waiting for coffee. Ate plenty of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Everything that has been going on in the outside world was coming from one source only: a battery operated radio ( thank God for it). Everything near the ocean or sound is devestated..........gone. Boardwalks Ive been walking on my whole life are gone. Beaches on the ocean Ive been going to for well over 40 years..............gone.

My poor parents............still without power and its going into the 30's tonight. They wont leave their home...........too worried about looting. Wednesday, we are suppossed to get hammered with a NorEaster with 4 inches of rain and high winds.

So next time you see the news about the recovery going on here............its mostly BS. Most people are still walking around here like they are in a fog. I am thankful that I am healthy and my family is safe.

But more than ever............there is going to be a totally new look at the insane............INSANE energy realities here in the northeast. 900 billion in stimulus 3 years ago and not a dime spent on updating the dinosaur grid here in the northeast...........all above ground lines. Discussion for another day............

Im living in a war zone s0ns........just got power back late yesterday and finally internet back a short time ago.

People just are not getting any kind of clear idea what is going on around here...........most of the reporting on the networks has been positive ( what a surprise). So many communities here on LOng Island still without power and worse, those with generators CANT GET FUCKING GAS. One of my cars is bone dry after I waited on a gas line for 2 hours the other night only to get up to the pump and at that very moment, the station went dry. There is no gas unless you now want to wait on line for 4 hours, but I cant even do that because I am on E. The amount of huge trees down is indescribable............I lost two fruit trees and a giant pine that went over when we got hit with a 95+ mph gust around 10:30pm the night of the storm. I froze when it hit........just knew I had never felt that ever before in my life. Telephone poles..............scores of them snapped like a toothpick.For days, the only place to get food was a local 7-11 which miraculously did not lose power..........lines down the street waiting for coffee. Ate plenty of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Everything that has been going on in the outside world was coming from one source only: a battery operated radio ( thank God for it). Everything near the ocean or sound is devestated..........gone. Boardwalks Ive been walking on my whole life are gone. Beaches on the ocean Ive been going to for well over 40 years..............gone.

My poor parents............still without power and its going into the 30's tonight. They wont leave their home...........too worried about looting. Wednesday, we are suppossed to get hammered with a NorEaster with 4 inches of rain and high winds.

So next time you see the news about the recovery going on here............its mostly BS. Most people are still walking around here like they are in a fog. I am thankful that I am healthy and my family is safe.

But more than ever............there is going to be a totally new look at the insane............INSANE energy realities here in the northeast. 900 billion in stimulus 3 years ago and not a dime spent on updating the dinosaur grid here in the northeast...........all above ground lines. Discussion for another day............

Steve, good to hear from you. Was worried, you surely were on ground zero.

You aren't going to recover that fast. Damage to infrastructure was just too great. Took us a while to recover from the Columbus Day storm in 1962, and the population density was nowhere near what it is on the East Coast. And we did not have a storm surge in a densely populated area to deal with.

Well, I have sure taken a lot of flack here for argueing that we spend a lot of money on our grid, both putting it into places that we can pick up more energy, tying it together so that we have one national grid, and hardening it for events such as this.

Many posters here have been posting about emergency preperation on the individual level. And that is a very important factor in surviving a major disaster without extreme discomfort. It is simply a given that in a really large disaster, that you are not going to get much help for at least a few days. And so must be dependent on yourself for food, water, and shelter. And, as both Governor Christie and the President emphasized, if your home is directly in the path of the storm, evacuate.

Update us on how the recovery is going. A worm's eye view of what is happening.

Again, best wishes for you and your family.

Steve, good to hear from you. Was worried, you surely were on ground zero.

You aren't going to recover that fast. Damage to infrastructure was just too great. Took us a while to recover from the Columbus Day storm in 1962, and the population density was nowhere near what it is on the East Coast. And we did not have a storm surge in a densely populated area to deal with.

Well, I have sure taken a lot of flack here for argueing that we spend a lot of money on our grid, both putting it into places that we can pick up more energy, tying it together so that we have one national grid, and hardening it for events such as this.

Many posters here have been posting about emergency preperation on the individual level. And that is a very important factor in surviving a major disaster without extreme discomfort. It is simply a given that in a really large disaster, that you are not going to get much help for at least a few days. And so must be dependent on yourself for food, water, and shelter. And, as both Governor Christie and the President emphasized, if your home is directly in the path of the storm, evacuate.

Update us on how the recovery is going. A worm's eye view of what is happening.

Again, best wishes for you and your family.

Thanks for the thoughts Ray..........and if you have any money laying around, invest in that generator company ( cant remember the name).

I do recall several times when you spoke of the grid.........but I will tell you. The government response, just like it was for Katrina, is appalling. That many are going without food and water now is beyond the pale.........stories of garbage dumpster diving are becomming more frequent in the last several days. Things in Manhattan are almost back to normal..........its is the suburbs that are fucked as well as a couple of the outer boroughs. Still numerous traffic lights out at major intersections. ANd its cold as hell tonight...........and folks with these generators cant get the gas to power them.

The worst story going on around here is the couple of dozen utility trucks that arrived in Jersey on Friday to help out and were kicked out by union NJ Gas/Electric workers. They drove all the way back home to Alabama. How can this shit possibly happen? We have seen a few trucks from Illinois here and a few from Virginia but not many.

Last edited:
Glad you are all safe.

The news is 100% postive. FEMA is there helping, the Red Cross is handing out hot meals. Janet Napolitano made a tour, obama made a tour. The Northeast is almost 100% recovered.

Until people start crying on camera, that there has been NO help at all. No FEMA, no Red Cross. Nothing. One woman said that an AT&T truck showed up so people could charge their cell phones. Some private aid trucks have come through. Mayor Bloomberg will not release the equipment and supplies gathered up for the marathon. Generators, heaters, bottled water, food and space blankets are just still sitting in the staging areas.

I used to live in New York and I am just so very sorry for you. Stay safe.

Glad you are all safe.

The news is 100% postive. FEMA is there helping, the Red Cross is handing out hot meals. Janet Napolitano made a tour, obama made a tour. The Northeast is almost 100% recovered.

Until people start crying on camera, that there has been NO help at all. No FEMA, no Red Cross. Nothing. One woman said that an AT&T truck showed up so people could charge their cell phones. Some private aid trucks have come through. Mayor Bloomberg will not release the equipment and supplies gathered up for the marathon. Generators, heaters, bottled water, food and space blankets are just still sitting in the staging areas.

This is another mega-government-fuck-up. Tours are gay......only the hopelessly duped give them any credence. Words dont mean shit......what matters is behavior. There is massive sufferring going on, least of which is my parents who have had no power for 8 days now........they wont leave the house. Its going down to 28 degrees tonight.

Anybody who thinks its awesome here.......go google LIPA Map.......and see the amouont of outages here on Long Island. Its laughable.........and very few work crews out there. In the city, it is worse because you have high-rise apartement buildings in the dark. People shitting all over the buildings. Pich black. No water. No food. And the media isnt giving a crap........

Nobody is talking about it but you are going to see a gigantic health crisis in the coming days.......then they wont be able to ignore it. Then again........the election will be over.

Last edited:
Hey Ray.....check this out. Sandy was second strongest Atlantic hurricane ever.....and far stronger than even Katrina..........

Hurricane Sandy Named Second-Most-Powerful Storm - SKYE on AOL

Yep, what she lacked in wind speed she made up in size. Two or three of the most expensive hurricanes in our history have been Cat 1's. As big of a factor as wind speed is sheer size. A very large Cat 1 has as much energy as a small Cat 3. And, spread out that way, is much more likely to impact a vulneble area.

Glad you are all safe.

This is another mega-government-fuck-up. Tours are gay......only the hopelessly duped give them any credence. Words dont mean shit......what matters is behavior. There is massive sufferring going on, least of which is my parents who have had no power for 8 days now........they wont leave the house. Its going down to 28 degrees tonight.

Anybody who thinks its awesome here.......go google LIPA Map.......and see the amouont of outages here on Long Island. Its laughable.........and very few work crews out there. In the city, it is worse because you have high-rise apartement buildings in the dark. People shitting all over the buildings. Pich black. No water. No food. And the media isnt giving a crap........

Nobody is talking about it but you are going to see a gigantic health crisis in the coming days.......then they wont be able to ignore it. Then again........the election will be over.

The main stream media has to make Bloomberg and You know who else look good...after all they postured before "Sandy" how well they "prepared" . If New York were in my neighborhood I`d be there with a barrel of water, gas and a generator. The last few days I have seen long columns of tanker truck "A-trains" heading south from Winnipeg towards the U.S. border...must be because of "Sandy". Because normally they don`t allow our road trains into the U.S. All it would have taken was for the politicians to stand down and there would have been fuel, generators, water trucks etc. long since coming in from the surrounding country side and from across the border. But there is also something else coming in from Canada...a lot of cold air. The bulk of it is here right now..: Satellite Images But it`s heading straight for You. Do You have water, power and telecom services or are You communicating with us from some public facility ? If Your parents are running short of drinking water remind them that there should be some in their hot water tank. Tell them to set the h.w. tank circuit breaker to the "off" position and when the power comes back on to bleed all the air out first before turning it back on...else the elements will burn out. If they live in an apartment but can find some combustible material in the street and some bricks or stones,light a fire and heat the stones then carry them in a metal bucket or a non synthetic fiber blanket into the room where they are staying. That will heat an average room for about 5 hours and for the first hour You can cook some hot food on the hot rocks.

Drive east on Sunrise
To the sea
Turn that jungle music down
Just until we're into town
This is no one night stand
It's a real occasion
Close your eyes and you'll be there
It's everything they say
The end of a dreadful day
Distant darkness from across the bay

Hurrican Sandy

Shake it....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiy09DIsZFU]Steely Dan - Babylon Sister (Live in NY) - YouTube[/ame]

Drive east on Sunrise
To the sea
Turn that jungle music down
Just until we're into town
This is no one night stand
It's a real occasion
Close your eyes and you'll be there
It's everything they say
The end of a dreadful day
Distant darkness from across the bay

Hurrican Sandy

Shake it....

Steely Dan - Babylon Sister (Live in NY) - YouTube

MR H......that avatar is classic. Gets blown to shit in about 10 hours.:D ........except not by Frodo this time. By Americans with common sense.

Yep, what she lacked in wind speed she made up in size. Two or three of the most expensive hurricanes in our history have been Cat 1's. As big of a factor as wind speed is sheer size. A very large Cat 1 has as much energy as a small Cat 3. And, spread out that way, is much more likely to impact a vulneble area.

Sandy's impact was primarily due to the fact that she made landfall not only at high tide, but the highest tide of the month. Had the storm made landfall on a normal high tide, or between tides, the damage would have been very small.

Sandy's impact was primarily due to the fact that she made landfall not only at high tide, but the highest tide of the month. Had the storm made landfall on a normal high tide, or between tides, the damage would have been very small.

A fact that my pal Ray misssed.:eusa_eh::doubt:

Ray......you're slipping.

Mormon Volunteers Outperform Government in New England Sandy Aid

Many who are still without heat, water, and power following Hurricane Sandy, are looking to the federal government to provide the kind of organized and effective disaster relief that can restore their lives. Can private groups and citizens offer what is needed in this time of crisis?

More @ Mormon Volunteers Outperform Government in New England Sandy Aid

Wanna bet the three husky guys standing around looking tough – and doing nothing – are government agents.

And much more similar @
Dispatch from NJ: Private Citizens, Businesses Providing Aid in Government's Stead

USS Mississippi Sailors Help in Cleanup Efforts After Hurricane Sandy

by US Navy SEALs

Sailors from the Virginia-class attack submarine USS Mississippi (SSN 782), together with their families, took part in cleanup efforts at a local childcare center in Groton, Connecticut on Nov. 1 after super storm Sandy. The volunteers dealt with several trees uprooted and thrust out across the activities yard of Riverfront Children’s Center, a non-profit childcare […] More @ USS Mississippi Sailors Help in Cleanup Efforts After Hurricane Sandy | Navy SEALs Blog by USNavySEALs.com

Housing, Voting, Power: Problems Abound Post-Sandy

by Associated Press

(NEW YORK) — From trying to figure out where people would live to how they would be able to vote and when all the lights will finally come on, government officials are still facing multiple fronts in the efforts to recover from Superstorm Sandy. All that, and there’s another storm coming. Where to house potentially tens of thousands of people left homeless by the storm is the most pressing crisis, as cold weather sets in. (MORE: In New Jersey, A Well-to-Do Community Struggles to Recover from Sandy) “It’s not going to be a simple task. It’s going to be one of the most complicated and long-term recovery efforts in U.S. history,” said Mark Merritt, president of Witt Associates, a Washington crisis management consulting firm founded by former Federal Emergency Management Agency director James Lee Witt. FEMA said it has already dispensed close to $200 million in emergency housing assistance and has put 34,000 people in New York and New Jersey up in hotels and motels.

But, there is more @ Housing, Voting, Power: Problems Abound Post-Sandy | TIME.com

Hurricane Sandy Recovery | The Toil After the Storm: Life in Sandy’s Wake | TIME.com

In New Jersey, a Well-to-Do Community Struggles to Recover from Sandy | TIME.com

Forum List

Back