Hurricane Rita

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Sept. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Hurricane Rita strengthened into a Category 5 storm as it moved across the Gulf of Mexico toward Texas and Louisiana, surpassing the power Katrina had when it swept ashore three weeks ago and became the most expensive natural disaster in U.S. history.

Rita has winds of 165 mph (265 kph), putting it in the highest intensity level on the Saffir-Simpson scale, the National Hurricane Center said. Rita's reach may extend anywhere from northeast Mexico to along the Texas coast and up to the western half of Louisiana, said center spokesman Frank LePore said.

Category 5 storms have winds of 156 mph or stronger. Such storms can blow down trees and shrubs, completely destroy mobile homes and cause major damage to lower floors of buildings near the coast.

``Anything Category 5 and above is likely to cause catastrophic damage,'' LePore said in an interview.

Since record-keeping began, only three Category 5 storms have hit the U.S.: one that hit the Florida Keys in 1935; Hurricane Camille, which hit Mississippi in 1969; and Andrew, which devastated southern Florida in 1992.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=awREsxvEy5MA&refer=us

ScreamingEagle said:
Sept. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Hurricane Rita strengthened into a Category 5 storm as it moved across the Gulf of Mexico toward Texas and Louisiana, surpassing the power Katrina had when it swept ashore three weeks ago and became the most expensive natural disaster in U.S. history.

Rita has winds of 165 mph (265 kph), putting it in the highest intensity level on the Saffir-Simpson scale, the National Hurricane Center said. Rita's reach may extend anywhere from northeast Mexico to along the Texas coast and up to the western half of Louisiana, said center spokesman Frank LePore said.

Category 5 storms have winds of 156 mph or stronger. Such storms can blow down trees and shrubs, completely destroy mobile homes and cause major damage to lower floors of buildings near the coast.

``Anything Category 5 and above is likely to cause catastrophic damage,'' LePore said in an interview.

Since record-keeping began, only three Category 5 storms have hit the U.S.: one that hit the Florida Keys in 1935; Hurricane Camille, which hit Mississippi in 1969; and Andrew, which devastated southern Florida in 1992.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=awREsxvEy5MA&refer=us

The Texas coast is almost completely evacuated. Katrina's evacuees were place in shelters not affecting our normal evacuation plan for the coasties.

Those who stayed behind were told they were on their own. No looting so far.

The Red Cross has taken over providing for the Katrina evacuees freeing up the Salvation Army to provide for the Rita evacuees.

Gov Perry declared a state of emergency YESTERDAY so the Feds are ready to provide support beforehand.

Imagine THAT .... a plan.

This Governor has a plan, is taking action, isn't whining or threatening to punch out our President, and isn't hysterical? He wouldn't be Republican, would he? :arabia:

It took me 3 1/2 hours to drive the 30 miles to work (usually 45 minutes), stop and go in first gear most of the way. I was 90 minutes late to work, but I figure it evens out since I will be here four days straight. There was no cash in any of the five ATM machines I checked. I did find a station with some gas, but many stations are out and there are long lines at many of the stations that still do have gas. I have not seen any price gouging. My sister-in law left her house in League City (10 miles south of us) at 2 pm, and she is just now reaching the outskirts of west Houston 10 hours later. Traffic is a nightmare, you might say.

We've been busy seeing patients since the doctors' offices all closed for the week. The pharmacies are too busy and cannot fill prescriptions. The drive through windows of the 24 hour pharmacies are closed and locked.

Evacuations are no fun, but I suppose they are better than the alternative.

speederdoc said:
It took me 3 1/2 hours to drive the 30 miles to work (usually 45 minutes), stop and go in first gear most of the way. I was 90 minutes late to work, but I figure it evens out since I will be here four days straight. There was no cash in any of the five ATM machines I checked. I did find a station with some gas, but many stations are out and there are long lines at many of the stations that still do have gas. I have not seen any price gouging. My sister-in law left her house in League City (10 miles south of us) at 2 pm, and she is just now reaching the outskirts of west Houston 10 hours later. Traffic is a nightmare, you might say.

We've been busy seeing patients since the doctors' offices all closed for the week. The pharmacies are too busy and cannot fill prescriptions. The drive through windows of the 24 hour pharmacies are closed and locked.

Evacuations are no fun, but I suppose they are better than the alternative.

I know people that waited till the last minute to evacuate and it took them 8 hours to get Baton Rouge which is usually a 1 hour trip. The gouging will come after the storm. Stay safe and God bless.

I'm 80 miles from Galveston and I aint leaving, I couldn't if I wanted to. I-45 has been a parking lot for 2 days. Gas stations are out with no way to replinish because of the traffic. The stores are quickly getting empty, and people are fighting over gas and water. I was out at 4am this morning and was amazed to see so much traffic.
I went to a gas station to top off my truck and was threatened in Spanish by a couple of assholes and I don't know why, I speak english which used to be good enough in MY Fucking country. What these assholes need to learn is that a big percentage of us old farts in Texas have concealed weapons permits and are armed a lot more heavily than these jerks can imagine. I will not let some jerk kick my ass in spanish, screw that, I'll blow his kneecaps out before he knows it.
Just got the latest prediction from the talking heads , the track forecast has changed 90 miles to come straight into Galveston Bay. They think that the storm has peaked and is now starting to weaken. It is going to hit in the dark which should make it really interesting.
I'll try to post as long as I have power, our lines are buried so sometimes we don't loose it.They are saying that I can look forward to 70-80 mile an hour north winds, great , I have a load of very tall pine trees on the north side of my house.
See Ya guys, I have to get crap out of my garage so I can park my truck in there. :eek:

sitarro said:
I'm 80 miles from Galveston and I aint leaving, I couldn't if I wanted to. I-45 has been a parking lot for 2 days. Gas stations are out with no way to replinish because of the traffic. The stores are quickly getting empty, and people are fighting over gas and water. I was out at 4am this morning and was amazed to see so much traffic.
I went to a gas station to top off my truck and was threatened in Spanish by a couple of assholes and I don't know why, I speak english which used to be good enough in MY Fucking country. What these assholes need to learn is that a big percentage of us old farts in Texas have concealed weapons permits and are armed a lot more heavily than these jerks can imagine. I will not let some jerk kick my ass in spanish, screw that, I'll blow his kneecaps out before he knows it.
Just got the latest prediction from the talking heads , the track forecast has changed 90 miles to come straight into Galveston Bay. They think that the storm has peaked and is now starting to weaken. It is going to hit in the dark which should make it really interesting.
I'll try to post as long as I have power, our lines are buried so sometimes we don't loose it.They are saying that I can look forward to 70-80 mile an hour north winds, great , I have a load of very tall pine trees on the north side of my house.
See Ya guys, I have to get crap out of my garage so I can park my truck in there. :eek:
Good luck!

sitarro said:

God bless you and best of luck. BTW My tax dollars can go to rebuilding Galveston without any bitching from me. If you can you might want to get your hands on a generator now. I hope it weakens before it hits. There was a storm I believe last year that hit New Iberia and it went from a 4 to a 2 in hours before hitting the coast.

Abbey Normal said:
This Governor has a plan, is taking action, isn't whining or threatening to punch out our President, and isn't hysterical? He wouldn't be Republican, would he? :arabia:

he used to be a democrat back in the 80s

rcajun90 said:
God bless you and best of luck. BTW My tax dollars can go to rebuilding Galveston without any bitching from me. If you can you might want to get your hands on a generator now. I hope it weakens before it hits. There was a storm I believe last year that hit New Iberia and it went from a 4 to a 2 in hours before hitting the coast.

Ya see cajun,
You think the people around this country should spend
their tax dollars to rebuild a place that shouldn't be there in the first place, I don't. The developers have built a rediculous community on the water, multi million dollar houses are being built there, I don't want to pay for their arrogant stupidity. If the insurance companies want to foolishly insure that . . . fine.
Thanks for the God bless you, I'm counting on those blessings.
There is no gas, no water and groceries are getting more scarce. I have plenty of food and water and ammo for anyone that wants to break into my place. The panic that is out there is amazing, it is causing more problems. There are a bunch of people that are getting stuck on the interstate running out of fuel, the state is trying to get them out of the way but the disorderly, unprepared, panicy, illiterates are blocking emergency routes. Fuel trucks can't get in to refill the gas stations. It is a real strain on the system to try to evacuate a million + people but Texas is doing everything correct, the dufusses are messing it up.
Gotta go,
See Ya!

I saw this and had to post it . . .

Mexicans Living on Texas Gulf Hurry Home
Sep 22 3:27 PM US/Eastern

By OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ
Associated Press Writer

MONTERREY, Mexico

Hundreds of Mexicans living on the Texas Gulf Coast were rushing home Thursday to avoid Hurricane Rita, while authorities in northern Mexico readied shelters and prepared for heavy rains.

In Nuevo Laredo, across from Laredo, Texas, Mexican families coming from Houston, Galveston, South Padre Island, Corpus Christi and Pasadena, Texas, waited in long lines to get temporary import permits for their cars.

Thousands of Mexicans live and work in Texas, but still have family _ or even second homes _ in Mexico. With Rita bearing down on the Gulf coast, many felt it was time to go home, at least for a week or so.

Moises Ramirez was one of hundreds crossing into Mexico on Thursday. A carpenter and home owner from Pasadena, Texas, he left behind his job and house to stay with his parents in Monclova, 440 miles southwest of Pasadena.

Traveling with six relatives, Ramirez said he worried about what he would have to come back to, but he wasn't ready to risk staying in the storm's path.

"What happened in New Orleans could also happen there," he said, referring to Texas.

Nuevo Laredo authorities said families crossing from Texas started coming to the border city late Wednesday, and by Thursday morning more than 1,000 people had crossed into Mexico.

"Hearing Rita was one of the most powerful hurricanes in the history of the Gulf was enough for me to leave," said Roberto Garcia, who left his home in Corpus Christi and was heading to a suburb of Monterrey, where his family lives.

The influx of Mexicans fleeing the Texas Gulf Coast was expected to increase, and authorities were adding customs agents and personnel at the border.

sitarro said:
I saw this and had to post it . . .

Mexicans Living on Texas Gulf Hurry Home
Sep 22 3:27 PM US/Eastern

By OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ
Associated Press Writer

MONTERREY, Mexico

Hundreds of Mexicans living on the Texas Gulf Coast were rushing home Thursday to avoid Hurricane Rita, while authorities in northern Mexico readied shelters and prepared for heavy rains.

In Nuevo Laredo, across from Laredo, Texas, Mexican families coming from Houston, Galveston, South Padre Island, Corpus Christi and Pasadena, Texas, waited in long lines to get temporary import permits for their cars.

Thousands of Mexicans live and work in Texas, but still have family _ or even second homes _ in Mexico. With Rita bearing down on the Gulf coast, many felt it was time to go home, at least for a week or so.

Moises Ramirez was one of hundreds crossing into Mexico on Thursday. A carpenter and home owner from Pasadena, Texas, he left behind his job and house to stay with his parents in Monclova, 440 miles southwest of Pasadena.

Traveling with six relatives, Ramirez said he worried about what he would have to come back to, but he wasn't ready to risk staying in the storm's path.

"What happened in New Orleans could also happen there," he said, referring to Texas.

Nuevo Laredo authorities said families crossing from Texas started coming to the border city late Wednesday, and by Thursday morning more than 1,000 people had crossed into Mexico.

"Hearing Rita was one of the most powerful hurricanes in the history of the Gulf was enough for me to leave," said Roberto Garcia, who left his home in Corpus Christi and was heading to a suburb of Monterrey, where his family lives.

The influx of Mexicans fleeing the Texas Gulf Coast was expected to increase, and authorities were adding customs agents and personnel at the border.

Lets make that a one way ticket only good for driving south!
Austin is swelling and crazy---good thing we can all shoot and kill trespassers and gun owners have a responsibility to protect their neighborhoods should looters try anything stupid.

Hey Dillo, help me out, I don't know much about Texas. When this is all over, which structure in Southern Texas do you think Louis Farrakhan will say was sabotaged by the govenrment? The retaining wall in Galveston? Or are there not enough minorities for the gov't to bother?

:cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

Abbey Normal said:
Hey Dillo, help me out, I don't know much about Texas. When this is all over, which structure in Southern Texas do you think Louis Farrakhan will say was sabotaged by the govenrment? The retaining wall in Galveston? Or are there not enough minorities for the gov't to bother?

:cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

Depends on the results--he's gotta see which way the wind is blowing before he adds his 2 cents. ( Media is gona be a big thing again-----which races, neighborhoods, politicians are they gonna focus on.) Haven't heard a thing about all the white people helping out all the black people but that's what's happening.

dilloduck said:
Depends on the results--he's gotta see which way the wind is blowing before he adds his 2 cents. ( Media is gona be a big thing again-----which races, neighborhoods, politicians are they gonna focus on.) Haven't heard a thing about all the white people helping out all the black people but that's what's happening.

What ever inconvenience you are experiencing, keep in mind the refugees. I’ve never been to Austin but from what I have heard it is beautiful city. Once this freak show of season ends, Austin will return back to the city you love. The refugees were happy wherever they were and will return home once it is safe. You know what’s odd? I evacuated to Lake Charles three weeks ago and now I have family evacuating to me. If the storm continues its track, both Louisiana and Texas will share in the misery. I’m praying for one of those big bad Canadian cold fronts to come down soon. That will stop the insanity. Best of luck to you and God BLESS TEXAS!!!

As far as the race non issue. I saw two 20 something white guys pushing a car being driven by a older black woman off of I-12 today. I guess the mongers of hate would say that's just another example of the white man pushing the black people around.

rcajun90 said:
What ever inconvenience you are experiencing, keep in mind the refugees. I’ve never been to Austin but from what I have heard it is beautiful city. Once this freak show of season ends, Austin will return back to the city you love. The refugees were happy wherever they were and will return home once it is safe. You know what’s odd? I evacuated to Lake Charles three weeks ago and now I have family evacuating to me. If the storm continues its track, both Louisiana and Texas will share in the misery. I’m praying for one of those big bad Canadian cold fronts to come down soon. That will stop the insanity. Best of luck to you and God BLESS TEXAS!!!

As far as the race non issue. I saw two 20 something white guys pushing a car being driven by a older black woman off of I-12 today. I guess the mongers of hate would say that's just another example of the white man pushing the black people around.

Got taken care of better than they ever have been in thier life HOWEVER they are ripping each other off like crazy right in the shelter. In 7 months when all of their free housing runs out it's all gonna be crazy as hell again but shit happens.

dilloduck said:
Got taken care of better than they ever have been in thier life HOWEVER they are ripping each other off like crazy right in the shelter. In 7 months when all of their free housing runs out it's all gonna be crazy as hell again but shit happens.

Hey Dillo ,
Just heard that Rita is going to leap frog over the coastline and Houston and will be hitting Austin as a category 12 storm. . . good luck bud. :eek:

sitarro said:
Hey Dillo ,
Just heard that Rita is going to leap frog over the coastline and Houston and will be hitting Austin as a category 12 storm. . . good luck bud. :eek:

NP---I'm all stocked up on Margas to go with it!

keep your head down!

dilloduck said:
Lets make that a one way ticket only good for driving south!
Austin is swelling and crazy---good thing we can all shoot and kill trespassers and gun owners have a responsibility to protect their neighborhoods should looters try anything stupid.

Interesting. We're overloaded with visitors as well. Kind of ironic. Usually it's us descending on the coasties every spring and summer. Guess they want some payback for their hospitality/toleration. :laugh:

There's been no crime so far, at least mentioned. I think the difference is most Texans known their fellow Texans pack heat and can shoot.

New Topics

Forum List

Back