Hurricane Rita

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ScreamingEagle, Sep 21, 2005.

1. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Sept. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Hurricane Rita strengthened into a Category 5 storm as it moved across the Gulf of Mexico toward Texas and Louisiana, surpassing the power Katrina had when it swept ashore three weeks ago and became the most expensive natural disaster in U.S. history.

Rita has winds of 165 mph (265 kph), putting it in the highest intensity level on the Saffir-Simpson scale, the National Hurricane Center said. Rita's reach may extend anywhere from northeast Mexico to along the Texas coast and up to the western half of Louisiana, said center spokesman Frank LePore said.

Category 5 storms have winds of 156 mph or stronger. Such storms can blow down trees and shrubs, completely destroy mobile homes and cause major damage to lower floors of buildings near the coast.

``Anything Category 5 and above is likely to cause catastrophic damage,'' LePore said in an interview.

Since record-keeping began, only three Category 5 storms have hit the U.S.: one that hit the Florida Keys in 1935; Hurricane Camille, which hit Mississippi in 1969; and Andrew, which devastated southern Florida in 1992.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=awREsxvEy5MA&refer=us

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The Texas coast is almost completely evacuated. Katrina's evacuees were place in shelters not affecting our normal evacuation plan for the coasties.

Those who stayed behind were told they were on their own. No looting so far.

The Red Cross has taken over providing for the Katrina evacuees freeing up the Salvation Army to provide for the Rita evacuees.

Gov Perry declared a state of emergency YESTERDAY so the Feds are ready to provide support beforehand.

Imagine THAT .... a plan.

3. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    This Governor has a plan, is taking action, isn't whining or threatening to punch out our President, and isn't hysterical? He wouldn't be Republican, would he? :arabia:

4. speederdoc

speederdoc Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It took me 3 1/2 hours to drive the 30 miles to work (usually 45 minutes), stop and go in first gear most of the way. I was 90 minutes late to work, but I figure it evens out since I will be here four days straight. There was no cash in any of the five ATM machines I checked. I did find a station with some gas, but many stations are out and there are long lines at many of the stations that still do have gas. I have not seen any price gouging. My sister-in law left her house in League City (10 miles south of us) at 2 pm, and she is just now reaching the outskirts of west Houston 10 hours later. Traffic is a nightmare, you might say.

We've been busy seeing patients since the doctors' offices all closed for the week. The pharmacies are too busy and cannot fill prescriptions. The drive through windows of the 24 hour pharmacies are closed and locked.

Evacuations are no fun, but I suppose they are better than the alternative.

5. rcajun90

rcajun90 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40

I know people that waited till the last minute to evacuate and it took them 8 hours to get Baton Rouge which is usually a 1 hour trip. The gouging will come after the storm. Stay safe and God bless.

6. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    I'm 80 miles from Galveston and I aint leaving, I couldn't if I wanted to. I-45 has been a parking lot for 2 days. Gas stations are out with no way to replinish because of the traffic. The stores are quickly getting empty, and people are fighting over gas and water. I was out at 4am this morning and was amazed to see so much traffic.
    I went to a gas station to top off my truck and was threatened in Spanish by a couple of assholes and I don't know why, I speak english which used to be good enough in MY Fucking country. What these assholes need to learn is that a big percentage of us old farts in Texas have concealed weapons permits and are armed a lot more heavily than these jerks can imagine. I will not let some jerk kick my ass in spanish, screw that, I'll blow his kneecaps out before he knows it.
    Just got the latest prediction from the talking heads , the track forecast has changed 90 miles to come straight into Galveston Bay. They think that the storm has peaked and is now starting to weaken. It is going to hit in the dark which should make it really interesting.
    I'll try to post as long as I have power, our lines are buried so sometimes we don't loose it.They are saying that I can look forward to 70-80 mile an hour north winds, great , I have a load of very tall pine trees on the north side of my house.
    See Ya guys, I have to get crap out of my garage so I can park my truck in there. :eek:

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Good luck!

8. rcajun90

rcajun90 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40

God bless you and best of luck. BTW My tax dollars can go to rebuilding Galveston without any bitching from me. If you can you might want to get your hands on a generator now. I hope it weakens before it hits. There was a storm I believe last year that hit New Iberia and it went from a 4 to a 2 in hours before hitting the coast.

9. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    he used to be a democrat back in the 80s

10. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    ..and then he grew up. :) ;)